Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many of you started on a shortboard?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well I'm a beginner but have been using a longboard for the last 5 months or so. I can stand up easily enough (on the smaller waves) but haven't managed to get the board to run sideways or to turn properly. I get a lot of nosedives but always assumed that was my positioning on the board and thought that maybe a mini might suit me better. I also have awful problems getting out past the white stuff with the long board

I'm 6'4", 15 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

SuprSi wrote: »
    but haven't managed to get the board to run sideways or to turn properly.

A longboard should be ok for your size. Practice taking off at an angle instead of paddling straight for the shore, it'll come with practice.

You're right about the nosediving, its your position on the board. If you feel the board is gonna pearl then arch your back a bit when paddling - this will cause the nose to rise a little out of the water. Getting the position right is just trial and error I'm afraid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

xxyyzz wrote: »
    A longboard should be ok for your size. Practice taking off at an angle instead of paddling straight for the shore, it'll come with practice.

A good way to do this (well it worked when I was told it anyway) is when catching the wave pick something at about a 45 degree angle from you on the beach in the direction you want to go, then don't take our eyes off it until your up standing on the board, your board should be pointing down the line then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Boomkid

Im going to hijack this a thread a bit sorry in advance. I got 2 boards off my cousin who is after immigrating (a 7'3 mini malibu, and a 6'6 Spider), I dont really surf but since I got these boards Im gunna start. But the thing is Im finding it difficult enough to get up on the 7'3 (Im 6ft, and 11 and half stone) Im wondering would it be a good idea to sell it and try get a bigger board or should I stick with it. The Spider Im not going to try surf anytime soon and plus Im keeping onto it for whenever my cousin comes home.

any help would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

@ Supersi. If you can't turn a longboard then you will be all over the place on a mini-mal. It takes years to learn to surf, there are no quick fixes.

@ Boomkid. Your wasting your time. That, 7'3 is for small kids learning.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

I think they need advice not lectures. Must be daunting seeing a forum board for surfing and being put off by comments when there should be encouragement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Who is giving a lecture?

..and what advise would you give so?

Because apart from repeating yourself, most of the advise has been already given in this and many other similar threads.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

If you start on a mal it gives you the option of going both ways. I started windsurfing then I had a minimal, then a shortboard... Sometimes I borrow a mates long board and go for a spin on smaller days. Wouldn't call myself this or that or get stuck on the idea of being a long or short boarder. You can have good fun on all the different types of boards and it can make you a better surfer quicker(I'd love to get a paddle board and a kite surf rig too but i cant afford it) A good surfer can surf any kind of board http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybWV9YpUCxs :Djust thought of this video ... also you get more surfing done if you have a board for every condition.

... rabble rabble rabble
    how many of you started with shortboards or hybrids, thinkin on buyin my first board and its a 7ft hybrid, ive been surfing for about 9months now most weekends, renting a 7'6 or 7'2, and i can surf them quite easily although il almit my pop up needs work... how many of you would agree with starting with a shorter board?

you should start on at least a 7' 3 mal or a bit bigger if your 12st+ but since you seem to have done that already the 7ft hybrid should be grand for you now since your able to get it going. I would stick to that for a while coz its a big step to a shortboard and it will probably stop your surfing in its tracks for a good while especially as the waves get smaller over the summer. There usually a handy board to sell to get a 6' 6 or 6' 8 next autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimgsi

If you start on a mal it gives you the option of going both ways. I started windsurfing then I had a minimal, then a shortboard... Sometimes I borrow a mates long board and go for a spin on smaller days. Wouldn't call myself this or that or get stuck on the idea of being a long or short boarder. You can have good fun on all the different types of boards and it can make you a better surfer quicker(I'd love to get a paddle board and a kite surf rig too but i cant afford it) A good surfer can surf any kind of board http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybWV9YpUCxs :Djust thought of this video ... also you get more surfing done if you have a board for every condition.

... rabble rabble rabble

you should start on at least a 7' 3 mal or a bit bigger if your 12st+ but since you seem to have done that already the 7ft hybrid should be grand for you now since your able to get it going. I would stick to that for a while coz its a big step to a shortboard and it will probably stop your surfing in its tracks for a good while especially as the waves get smaller over the summer. There usually a handy board to sell to get a 6' 6 or 6' 8 next autumn.

thanks lad, think il surf this right into the summer and maybe rent out a big board for the really smaller days, and as u said get somethin smaller next autumn, had the 7ft out a good few times now and finding it ok, no set backs yet but you do notice the extra bit of effort needed to get onto a wave, with the 7 ft ive noticed a few times just losing the wave at the last second, very frustrating :D

slimgsi wrote: »
    thanks lad, think il surf this right into the summer and maybe rent out a big board for the really smaller days, and as u said get somethin smaller next autumn, had the 7ft out a good few times now and finding it ok, no set backs yet but you do notice the extra bit of effort needed to get onto a wave, with the 7 ft ive noticed a few times just losing the wave at the last second, very frustrating :D

when paddling you should be arch your back and lie as far forward as you can to get your weight over the nose of the board. this rises up the tail as the wave hits it. A few nose dives are no harm and are better than dropping off the back of the wave as the tail ploughs into the water. I find if you should be able to touch the tip of your boards nose with your fingers as your paddling for a wave otherwise your lying too far back. might put up a diagram or a pic at some stage. I was stuck lying too far back on the board for ages before someone pointed it out to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 nomisdeer2004

I started on a 6.7 bic about 6 years ago. i quickly progressed to a 6.2 which is still my standard short board size.

I think if u want to be a shortboard surfer u should start out short otherwise u get too used the bigger board and then changing onto a shorter one can take a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leitrim lass

An alternative way to learn to surf (worked for me)
    Is to get a decent bodyboard & fins first. really good fun and a fast learning curve compared to standup.
    Then I learned to surf stand up on friends or hire boards if the waves wer'nt that good for the bodyboard.
    My first standup board was a 6'7 bic then .
    It was a good handy quiver , bodyboard, fins and bic 6'7 covered most everyday beach conditions.

waveu.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The guy on the left is lying too far back and not arching his back. Not a hope of catching this wave.

The guy on the right is lying further forward which allows the tail to rise up with the wave.

You can use the movement of your head forward and back to control the pitch of the board. This allows you to stall the board for a moment or commit to going down the face of the wave.

You can see the difference in the board angles. This is essential to catch waves a shortboard properly. You have to build up strength in your back muscles to be able to do this which takes a while.
    It is good practice to surf a long board like this too even though you can get away with not doing it in smaller waves. Otherwise you'll struggle when progressing to shorter boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimgsi

great advice right there, cant wait for a week of surfing this week, hope your all making it to the water. anyone streedagh bound il prob see yas there. gonna try movin a bit forward on my board, gonna be a lot of nose divin for a day but il get the hang of it by then... thanks guys

Advertisement