Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cd not playing in some devices

• 27-11-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Mods, you have too much bloody sections, I cant really decide where to put this:rolleyes::D.I have a CD that I am trying to put onto my ipod, but it wont play either on a personal cd player or my laptop.It will however play in the car player:confused:Well actually it will play in the laptop, but its very low and sounds scratchy(technical term:p).If I play it on a personal player, the music part of it is ok, but the voices are very low as if they were not at the microphone.Everthing is perfect in the car:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There can not be anything wrong with the CD. By that I mean it is not possible for the 'sound' to be different on one device compared to another if it is a 'proper' CD.

The music stored on a CD is digitally encoded. What comes off the CD is a long string of ones and zeros. The same ones and zeros will come off it no matter what device you put it in.

Now CD's with copy protection can often refuse to play at all on some devices. they are not proper CD's and should not labeled as such IMO. Such a CD should either play, or not - no halfway house where it sort of plays but the sound is bad.

I had great fun with EMI over a couple CD's I bought that would not play at all in my CD player because of the copy protection. After a long struggle they sent me replacements that had no copy protection and were proper CD's

At a really wild guess, I think it might just be possible it has a copy protection system where there are two versions of the songs on it. One set that are intentionally crap quality for when it is inserted in a computer and the full quality set for when it is in a CD player. The personal player might be reading the wrong set.

Try googling the CD and see if anyone else is complaining about it and find out if it is copy protected. If it is find someone who has a Mac and rip it on their machine. My Macs ignore all copy protection systems I have come across. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Interesting there, you could very well be on to something there.It does not make much sense to me that the only player it will play on perfectly is the car player.It is a bought CD, not a copy.There would be no chance at all of it being copied on the personal CD player, so I don't what the makers are trying to do.I only want to put it on to my iPod, that's all, I am not trying to make money on it.Thanks for some interesting thoughts on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

jimmyw wrote: »
    If I play it on a personal player, the music part of it is ok, but the voices are very low as if they were not at the microphone.Everthing is perfect in the car:confused:
    This part is interesting. Do you have this problem with any other discs on the personal player?
    It sounds like *phase cancellation* where audio in one channel is 180 degrees out of phase with the same audio in the other channel.

When a track is recorded, instruments are usually panned to the left or right so the problem doesn't appear. However, vocals are recorded in the center so if there is a phase problem, the vocals cancel themselves out. The result is distant sounding vocals as you described.

I've seen this occuring with faulty headphone wiring and fault headphone sockets on personal players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am a bit of a dick:(, seems like it was crap headphones I was using.Mobile phone ones I was using:rolleyes:.I tried with another cd and then back to the other one, and it seems to be ok.
    The original problem is still there though re the bad playing on my comp.Must be copy protected so,:(.

Advertisement