Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comments that left you fuming! (And maths debate)

• 27-11-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Just home from working in the local supermarket. I've been working there part-time for the past 8 years while I was in school and college.
    Anywho some auld middle-aged bint same in today and told me I should do the decent thing and quit so that other more needy people can have my job! :mad:
    I normally wouldn't advocate violence but seriously wasnted to hit her in the face with a shovel!

So has anyone ever said something to you that left ya raging??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Why did she say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Think she just had nothing else to complain about.. she's a regular in the store who's always causing grief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Tell her she should die so that people don't have to pay her pension.

chocksaway wrote: »
    Think she just had nothing else to complain about.. she's a regular in the store who's always causing grief!

A simple "You're old and nobody cares what you think" would suffice in that situation OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Do you work in a shovel supermarket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

To live well is the best revenge.......and a kick to the face

haha.. one of numerous household and everyday items we have in stock:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Have you more than one job OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

Tell her she should die so that people don't have to pay her pension.

indeed...and in addition so that other more deserving people can live in her house, drink her tea and eat her precious precious Frys Chocolate Cream...nom nom nom :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

"Who's that? One of your grunger heros?"
    .....said by a guy in my class commenting on another classmate's Ché Guevara hoodie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I'm going to share.
    I got asked for ID in the offie today. I'm 25, have an 'unemployment beard', have grey hair and I'm balding. I also have a 3 year old.
    My friends think I look early 40s. :o
    I DO NOT LOOK 17!
    It took me a minute and a half to persuade the dozy bitch. :mad:

woodoo wrote: »

if so how dare he...the hard working money grubbing backstard!

I'm going to share.
    I got asked for ID in the offie today. I'm 25, have an 'unemployment beard', have grey hair and I'm balding. I also have a 3 year old.
    I DO NOT LOOK 17!

So she served you without you producing ID?

It's HER who should be given the heeve-ho!

I'm going to share.
    I DO NOT LOOK 17!

I almost wasnt allowed into Oxegen cause I didnt have ID.. Oxegen is an over 17s event and I'm 23! Stupid babyface!

I'm going to share.
    I DO NOT LOOK 17!

wow...every second is minus an IQ point......thats minus 90 for her

she would have had to start at a fairly high level to be superior to that weird lobsided wood pigeon that hangs around my back garden!

Nah just the one! In college studying for a masters! Gotta pay the bills somehow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

It's called jealousy OP. When someone makes a bitchy dig like that, they are usually jealous of something and it doesn't have to be jealousy of the immediate thing such as your job in this case, could be any aspect of your life - your freedom, your prospects, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

"If X Factor is so shít, why do so many people watch it?"

-"I'm glad Jedward didn't win, I'm already sick of hearing about them."
    -"What would you rather talk about? The recession?"

"Why would there be a Spanish embassy in Dublin" (didn't leave me fuming, but it was a moment of sheer ignorance on my ex's part)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A maths teacher in my old school referred to ordinary level maths as "maths for retards" in a conversation with another teacher in the hall. Always bugged me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A maths teacher in my old school referred to ordinary level maths as "maths for retards" in a conversation with another teacher in the hall. Always bugged me.

In fairness he had a point. Anyway ordinary level is not real maths and people who do it will never get anywhere where they may need real maths, so who cares.

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    In fairness he had a point. Anyway ordinary level is not real maths and people who do it will never get anywhere where they may need real maths, so who cares.

Bit over the top don't ya think.. there's ways and means around everything....

Ordinary maths is not aimed at mentally retarded people so she doesnt have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I worked in a shop a few years ago. I went in one morning on two hours sleep for various reasons and the first customer of the day told me it was fairly obvious I hadn't had much sleep because I 'looked a state'. Cheeky b........

Not really, how will somebody who did ordinary maths for the LC manage in a science or engineering degree. If they couldn't be arsed putting in enough extra work to keep up higher level in school they sure wont after.

I think you'll find Ordinary Maths to be much more REAL and exist more in the real world than Higher Maths

ICANN wrote: »
    I worked in a shop a few years ago. I went in one morning on two hours sleep for various reasons and the first customer of the day told me it was fairly obvious I hadn't had much sleep because I 'looked a state'. Cheeky b........

That was so inconsiderate of him! Did he not appreciate the effort it took for you to come in!

Nah just the one! In college studying for a masters! Gotta pay the bills somehow!

Who did she want the job for? Does she think you are minted or something. Strange woman. I'd bar her.

ICANN wrote: »

You had the perfect situation for a comeback here.

"It's obvious you haven't had much sleep, you look a state"

- "Well you'll know all about that soon when your baby comes"

"But i'm not pregnant"

-".........Oh!"

Checkmate!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think you'll find Ordinary Maths to be much more REAL and exist more in the real world than Higher Maths

You obviously don't grasp the concept of real maths. I'm sure working out 'real world situation' such as the chances of winning a chance game is great. plus everything done in ordinary level is covered in higher in the introductions to each topic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

amacca wrote: »
    wow...every second is minus an IQ point......thats minus 90 for her

she would have had to start at a fairly high level to be superior to that weird lobsided wood pigeon that hangs around my back garden!

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Ordinary maths is not aimed at mentally retarded people so he doesnt have a point.

Is mentally retarded the new PC way of saying that.?:pac:

Who did she want the job for? Does she think you are minted or something. Strange woman. I'd bar her.

Was just one of those statements- like the 'lucky you have a job' ones we get regularly. People were too important to be seen stacking shelves ot too long ago and now they're giving out saying college students have 'taken them all'. :mad:

You obviously don't grasp the concept of real maths. I'm sure working out 'real world situation' such as the chances of winning a chance game is great. plus everything done in ordinary level is covered in higher in the introductions to each topic!

Oh I do, i've been to school, i've done my Leaving Cert, i've done college level Maths. I know what i'm talking about.

It's quite obvious that you are in denial about what "real" maths are. Maths gets to a point where it stops becoming something that is useful in real life and starts to become a specified medium.

"Real" maths are the maths that you can "really" use in the "real" world.

Not really, how will somebody who did ordinary maths for the LC manage in a science or engineering degree. If they couldn't be arsed putting in enough extra work to keep up higher level in school they sure wont after.

Are you joking? Plenty of people who did ordinary maths for the leaving cert and went onto study science. I studied biology and started out studying ordinary maths. I know biology is not maths heavy but we had to cover linear algebra and calculus in first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

So she served you without you producing ID?

It's HER who should be given the heeve-ho!

This leaves me fuming.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

Are you actually serious ?! Like really serious ?! Or have you been repeatedly banging your head off a wall all day ?! One honours maths is extremely hard two the standard of teachers is very poor three it takes way more time than any other subject four it isn't really applicable in real life and just for your information my brother got a B in ordinary maths and went on to top his class in Engineering in university so take your huge unfounded generalisations and hide them deep inside before you make an idiot of yourself

Thanks

Was just one of those statements- like the 'lucky you have a job' ones we get regularly. People were too important to be seen stacking shelves ot too long ago and now they're giving out saying college students have 'taken them all'. :mad:

Nobody is lucky to have a job - unless they are a CEO or banker or something. In general lucky people don't need jobs because they inherit wealth.

Ordinary maths is not aimed at mentally retarded people so he doesnt have a point.

retards...manual laboureres....no hopers....ordinary maths students.

Just a case of wording...

Oh I do, i've been to school, i've done my Leaving Cert, i've done college level Maths. I know what i'm talking about.

It's quite obvious that you are in denial about what "real" maths are. Maths gets to a point where it stops becoming something that is useful in real life and starts to become a specified medium.

"Real" maths are the maths that you can "really" use in the "real" world.

+1
    There's only so many place imaginary numbers will bring you! The standards of maths required for most science engineering degrees is quite low. Once you pass the modules you rarely have to use half the stuff again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Probably not very well. They're still not retards though.

• Advertisement

Are you actually serious ?! Like really serious ?! Or have you been repeatedly banging your head off a wall all day ?! One honours maths is extremely hard two the standard of teachers is very poor three it takes way more time than any other subject four it isn't really applicable in real life and just for your information my brother got a B in ordinary maths and went on to top his class in Engineering in university so take your huge unfounded generalisations and hide them deep inside before you make an idiot of yourself

Thanks

Really, what type of engineering? Because I am not walking on a bridge he builds, or designs.

I'd bet her children are living of the state and wouldn't even want the job anyway.

Lol!

Funny how you're telling people they don't know what they're talking about and then come out with a statement like this!

Turns out Common Sense isn't on the Real Maths curriculum :pac:

+1
    There's only so many place imaginary numbers will bring you! The standards of maths required for most science engineering degrees is quite low. Once you pass the modules you rarely have to use half the stuff again

Gosh I must have done a different kinda engineering to most other people. Anybody with a B-Eng should have had to to get an A, or B in leaving cert maths.

Wow.

I'd give you a slide and think you weren't trolling but your spelling shows you up.

Post reported

Turns out most of he comments that wind people up are in this thread.....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Clearly your life has worked so well...to be slagging off perfectly normal people on an internet forum.

I did ord in the end, and my life has worked out pretty darn sweet. Have a job, nice standard of living etc.

Clearly I'm a happier person than you so I feel sorry for you.

Ha ha you must be joking man. Half the top biologists I worked with have done ordinary level maths. Some have modified genes in crops adding nutirents that prevented blindness, some have synthesised enzymes that restore function to tissues and others are working on tissue regeneration in salamanders and trying to apply their findings to mammals. These people are all no hopers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yahew wrote: »
    Really, what type of engineering? Because I am not walking on a bridge he builds, or designs.

Do you check the qualifications of all the engineers involved before setting foot on every bridge then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

No he didn't have a point. He had an elitist pompous attitude. He said that anyone not doing higher maths was retarded.Maths teacher? How does a maths teacher look down on anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement