Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comments that left you fuming! (And maths debate)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Are you actually serious ?! Like really serious ?! Or have you been repeatedly banging your head off a wall all day ?! One honours maths is extremely hard two the standard of teachers is very poor three it takes way more time than any other subject four it isn't really applicable in real life and just for your information my brother got a B in ordinary maths and went on to top his class in Engineering in university so take your huge unfounded generalisations and hide them deep inside before you make an idiot of yourself

Thanks

You shouldn't make your lies so obvious!

Seems like some people get angry when somebody shatters their illusion that they're smart because they got a high grade on tard-level maths.

There's a reason why an A1 in higher level will earn you 130 points, while an A1 in ordinary level will earn you just 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A comment a little old woman made to a Polish shop worker the other day. She appeared to casually ask where she was from, and then made some comment about taking our jobs. Both our jaws nearly the floor, poor girl was horrified and had to ask me what the old one said, as could quite not belive it what she had heard.

I felt outraged and embarrised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Not really, how will somebody who did ordinary maths for the LC manage in a science or engineering degree. If they couldn't be arsed putting in enough extra work to keep up higher level in school they sure wont after.

My cousin did Ordinary maths in his leaving got a C. Then 5 years later went to college( maths course anyway). Now hes in his final year studying for his masters to be an actuary.

Just because you do Ordinary level in school doesn't mean you can't study maths in college a few years later etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

Yahew wrote: »
    Are you actually serious ?! Like really serious ?! Or have you been repeatedly banging your head off a wall all day ?! One honours maths is extremely hard two the standard of teachers is very poor three it takes way more time than any other subject four it isn't really applicable in real life and just for your information my brother got a B in ordinary maths and went on to top his class in Engineering in university so take your huge unfounded generalisations and hide them deep inside before you make an idiot of yourself

Thanks

Really, what type of engineering? Because I am not walking on a bridge he builds, or designs.

Why simply because he did ordinary level maths ? Even though he got a 1.1 in civil engineering and all his lecturers commended him ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Namlub wrote: »
    Do you check the qualifications of all the engineers involved before setting foot on every bridge then?

If they did ordinary level maths the bridge would collapse long before I get on it. I didn't use the word retard - however engineering, science in general, physics, and other scientific subjects need higher level maths. It used to be a requirement, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

retards...manual laboureres....no hopers....ordinary maths students.

Just a case of wording...

woah.....I sort of admire you sticking to your guns but you really know how to lose friends and alienate people

so maybe you could say some people are doing ordinary level maths because they are lazy...and some are doing it because they are challenged etc however many people doing it can be gifted in other areas and are not necessarily retarded

(btw : there is also foundation level for either those who never come to school/ dont care or are very challenged or indeed challenging)

so aside from my belief that an increasing number of students today are lazier than they used to be and lacking in personal responsibility and perseverance for longer in life...I those that do ordinary certainly are not retards or anything of the sort.

+ the whole real maths argument is nonsense.....any maths is real maths by virtue of the fact it exists and you can perform measurable/verifiable calculations etc with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wow.

I'd give you a slide and think you weren't trolling but your spelling shows you up.

Post reported

:P When a troll is caught he's caught...oh well i wasted a few minutes for people.:D

Thanks

You shouldn't make your lies so obvious!

Seems like some people get angry when somebody shatters their illusion that they're smart because they got a high grade on tard-level maths.

There's a reason why an A1 in higher level will earn you 130 points, while an A1 in ordinary level will earn you just 60.

Your clearly trolling
    It's not a lie and yeah there Is a reason it's because the educational system is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If they did ordinary level maths the bridge would collapse long before I get on it. I didn't use the word retard - however engineering, science in general, physics, and other scientific subjects need higher level maths. It used to be a requirement, as far as I know.

No they dont. If you enter without higher level maths often theres an extra module you have to sit to bring you up to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

irish-stew wrote: »
    A comment a little old woman made to a Polish shop worker the other day. She appeared to casually ask where she was from, and then made some comment about taking our jobs. Both our jaws nearly the floor, poor girl was horrified and had to ask me what the old one said, as could quite not belive it what she had heard.

I felt outraged and embarrised.

Stuff like that annoys the sh*t out of me.. people came here to work and to do the jobs that the Irish thought they were 'too good for'. Now things are gone belly up a whole other side of people has come out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Take your maths outside and divide, multiply and stick it up your arse, then go figure it out. and breath.....

Worked in a place years ago, was during a sale and I was in charge of despatch, had worked at least 12 hour days for around 2 weeks, including weekends, the last day of the sale, we're opened about an hour, this stuck up auld lad comes, who was their the previous night but left when we told all customers waiting it was past 10pm the staff where knackered and were going home, theywould have to collect the next day or we would deliver at no extra cost, up smiles and says "Well you showered then", like F you dickwad, I shower everyday and after a 12+ hard hour day, yip I am gonna smell a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Your clearly trolling
    It's not a lie and yeah there Is a reason it's because the educational system is a joke

+1

How well you do in the leaving does not forecast how well you do in college. Biology in particular is not indicative of college biology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Friend of mine was applying for his NHS number in a medical centre when we moved to the UK a few months ago. I already had my NHS no. so registering at the medical centre was no problem for me.

But the wagon of a receptionist took great pleasure in refusing his application 'because he didn't have a stamp in his passport to say he could work in the UK'. I have never been so enraged in my life. She was trying to imply that an Irish person needed a Visa to live & work in the UK! Stupid bítch! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Can we finish up with the maths debating please :pac:

Why simply because he did ordinary level maths ? Even though he got a 1.1 in civil engineering and all his lecturers commended him ?!

Wondering how he got into a civil engineering course with lower level maths, and how did he get past the hurdles of not knowing the higher level maths needed?

Its possible, of course, that people are immature in school, don't do the HL maths but have a proficiency, and then get better when mature.

If your friend got a 1.1 in Civil Engineering he should be proficient in maths far beyond the level of a HL maths student, so the debate here is mere terminology about what people did in school, rather than what mathematical ability they need. Nobody should be getting though these courses with the level of mathematics of a OL maths student, since the maths needed is far higher.

( I could easily post links to first year engineering books on Amazon which have the "look inside" feature to prove the point, but the point should be simple). In other news, if you want to do English literature at university, honours English would be a plus. And so on.

• Advertisement

AnamGlas wrote: »
    Can we finish up with the maths debating please :pac:

shhh.....not too soon...hold back for a better ending young one!

neil2304 wrote: »
    Friend of mine was applying for his NHS number in a medical centre when we moved to the UK a few months ago. I already had my NHS no. so registering at the medical centre was no problem for me.

But the wagon of a receptionist took great pleasure in refusing his application 'because he didn't have a stamp in his passport to say he could work in the UK'. I have never been so enraged in my life. She was trying to imply that an Irish person needed a Visa to live & work in the UK! Stupid bítch! :mad:

Thats true. You need to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Because secondary school maths is the most reliable measure of how capable an engineer is at their job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Thats true. You need to register.

No I know you need to register. But she was implying that he was an illegal immigrant. She wouldn't register him because she said his passport didn't have a stamp. An Irish person moving to the UK doesn't need a Visa. EU free movement and all that

Namlub wrote: »
    Because secondary school maths is the most reliable measure of how capable an engineer is at their job...

Unless immaturity is a reason, then not being able to do Higher Level mathematics at school means you will not be able to do the harder level needed in most engineering college degrees.

This statement produced by the dept. of the obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

:P When a troll is caught he's caught...oh well i wasted a few minutes for people.:D

Thats nice.
    Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I got onto a bus recently and a young lad got up and offered me his seat. He was lucky he didn't get a clip on the ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

In fairness he had a point. Anyway ordinary level is not real maths and people who do it will never get anywhere where they may need real maths, so who cares.

ill give this 2/10

Wondering how he got into a civil engineering course with lower level maths, and how did he get past the hurdles of not knowing the higher level maths needed?

Its possible, of course, that people are immature in school, don't do the HL maths but have a proficiency, and then get better when mature.

If your friend got a 1.1 in Civil Engineering he should be proficient in maths far beyond the level of a HL maths student, so the debate here is mere terminology about what people did in school, rather than what mathematical ability they need. Nobody should be getting though these courses with the level of mathematics of a OL maths student, since the maths needed is far higher.

( I could easily post links to first year engineering books on Amazon which have the "look inside" feature to prove the point, but the point should be simple). In other news, if you want to do English literature at university, honours English would be a plus. And so on.

No problem with your questions at all !!
    He did an extra module to get into the course !!
    He so simply worked at it and studied and the quality of lecturers helped

college lecturer years ago on the topic of an electronic circuit simulator : "dont put a switch in there , you dont learn how to use a switch until next semester, and if you dont know what your doing the experiment results will be wrong"

I decided that level of thinking from a lecturer meant college wasnt for me

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Unless immaturity is a reason, then not being able to do Higher Level mathematics at school means you will not be able to do the harder level needed in most engineering college degrees.

This statement produced by the dept. of the obvious.

I failed maths at secondary school - got a D in GCSE.. now a qualified, experienced Civil Engineer - head hunted twice, responsible for some remarkable infrastructure also earning an obscene wage :D.

My last post on the maths and engineering issue. Here is the standard entry textbook on engineering mathematics. It does go over the foundations again, which would be up to HL standards, but it is all hard sums. You can look inside the book on amazon and see 25% of it.

And thats first ( or second) year stuff.

You need that competence in mathematics to get a B.Eng.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I only done foundation maths and only got a B. :( Strangely enough I'm quite good at Area/Volume etc Got an A in Tech Graphics.

merengueca wrote: »
    I failed maths at secondary school - got a D in GCSE.. now a qualified, experienced Civil Engineer - head hunted twice, responsible for some remarkable infrastructure also earning an obscene wage :D.

I see. I am 35 though, so possibly standards have declined, or you matured. I would have thought a civil engineer with a D in GCSE is like a poetry lecturer with no ability to read.

Apparently not. Cant see us over-taking the Chinese at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

I see. I am 35 though, so possibly standards have declined, or you matured. I would have thought a civil engineer with a D in GCSE is like a poetry lecturer with no ability to read.

My last project was in China;)

• Advertisement

merengueca wrote: »

Tbh I think it's the standard of maths teachers today compared to years ago some are ridiculously bad and I read somewhere that over 25% of maths teachers in Ireland aren't properly qualified to teach it

Tbh I think it's the standard of maths teachers today compared to years ago some are ridiculously bad and I read somewhere that over 25% of maths teachers in Ireland aren't properly qualified to teach it

we had an electronics graduate try to teach us LC maths after being left for 6 months with no maths teacher in 6th year , surprisingly 4 out of 7 of us doing higher level failed.....

engineering grads teaching maths is apparantly quite common...or atleast was 5 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

charlemont wrote: »
    I only done foundation maths and only got a B. :( Strangely enough I'm quite good at Area/Volume etc Got an A in Tech Graphics.

Foundation level B, high five!

Im terrible at maths. Shame pretty much every college course in Ireland requires you to have a decent level at maths.

Also we went through about 4 maths teachers throughout 6th year, none of which could teach properly or show up half the time. They just didn't give a shíte about our class. :pac:

(Thread needs to be re named to something math related)

I wish people would stop putting about the notion that honours maths is omg-super hard and deserves the extra points
    I don't really think it does at all, it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy - tell everyone it's really hard and they should find it difficult, and they will

That's not allowing for bad teachers of course

possibly......

the actual standards of behaviour and those expected and enforced have also slipped back in a big way.......kind of makes it hard to teach when anto, shayo and deco just wont shut the fcuk up and cant be shifted for the best part of two years... if of course the school wants to shift them at all given they would like to hold on to numbers

two sides to every coin and all that

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wish people would stop putting about the notion that honours maths is omg-super hard and deserves the extra points
    I don't really think it does at all, it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy - tell everyone it's really hard and they should find it difficult, and they will

too true..........unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Put an opinion on facebook today about the waste of life lost by gary speed, and the death of a rifleman in afghanistan today, the difference being only one will make news headlines, and not the good one. I then get berated with comments about how great a hero gary speed was. Like I give a toss. I have friends in afghanistan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Foundation level B, high five!

Im terrible at maths. Shame pretty much every college course in Ireland requires you to have a decent level at maths.

Also we went through about 4 maths teachers throughout 6th year, none of which could teach properly or show up half the time. They just didn't give a shíte about our class. :pac:

(Thread needs to be re named to something math related)

Any ideas.. I'm drawing a blank!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

chocksaway wrote: »
    Any ideas.. I'm drawing a blank!:pac:

I like it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Whats the square root of 4b^2?

2b or not 2b

just saw the title change there, should it not be math-debate...

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Put an opinion on facebook today about the waste of life lost by gary speed, and the death of a rifleman in afghanistan today, the difference being only one will make news headlines, and not the good one. I then get berated with comments about how great a hero gary speed was. Like I give a toss. I have friends in afghanistan.

I momentarily forgot this was a comments that left you fuming thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

In fairness he had a point. Anyway ordinary level is not real maths and people who do it will never get anywhere where they may need real maths, so who cares.

I did Ordinary level maths and next year I'll be starting my masters in Space Engineering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Pffft the only maths I ever did was foundation level for the junior cert.

Now Im doing a science degree with LOADS of ****ing maths

I can barely add or subtract, did foundational maths, but I wrote the software for the Mars landing, decided the trajectory of most European satellites, wrote the recent CERN paper on faster than light travel, and am investigating the universal theory of everything with an emphasis on combing string theory with feynman diagrams.

shizz wrote: »
    next year I'll be starting my masters in Space Engineering.

there's an engineer for everything it seems......shockin useful profession!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

amacca wrote: »
    wow...every second is minus an IQ point......thats minus 90 for her

she would have had to start at a fairly high level to be superior to that weird lobsided wood pigeon that hangs around my back garden!
    nae sir,Mr pidgy is higher in inteligence than many human lifeform.:cool:
    as fur wonky neck,sounds like he might have some degree of a pigeon illness called PPMV,we had a wild pidgeon with this crash land on our farm not to long ago,though one of the volunteer farm staff paid to get him vet treated.

Pfft. Who needs mathematics.

I can barely add or subtract, did foundational maths, but I wrote the software for the Mars landing, decided the trajectory of most European satellites, wrote the recent CERN paper on faster than light travel, and am investigating the universal theory of everything with an emphasis on combing string theory with feynman diagrams.

well that narrows it down significantly....now I know you are one of two possible people

let the blackmail commence (rubs hands gleefully)

wait...was it this Mars "landing"

amacca wrote: »
    there's an engineer for everything it seems......shockin useful profession!:D

WEll its easier to get into these days. Apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Pfft. Who needs mathematics.

yep!

• Advertisement
Advertisement