Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comments that left you fuming! (And maths debate)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Whats the square root of 4b^2?

2b or not 2b

just saw the title change there, should it not be math-debate...
    fixed it again for ya:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

amacca wrote: »
    there's an engineer for everything it seems......shockin useful profession!:D

Someone has to turn all those ghost estates back into useful space.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Scruffles wrote: »
    nae sir,Mr pidgy is higher in inteligence than many human lifeform.:cool:
    as fur wonky neck,sounds like he might have some degree of a pigeon illness called PPMV,we had a wild pidgeon with this crash land on our farm not to long ago,though one of the volunteer farm staff paid to get him vet treated.

pay money (my money no less) to treat a wild animal

you sir...the sheer effrontery...what sort of bleeding heart liberal do you take me for...that's minus some IQ points for you too

besides old wobbly is a source of great daily amusement:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Put an opinion on facebook today about the waste of life lost by gary speed, and the death of a rifleman in afghanistan today, the difference being only one will make news headlines, and not the good one. I then get berated with comments about how great a hero gary speed was. Like I give a toss. I have friends in afghanistan.

So, you try to make a point saying "2 people died today but people only care about one and not the other".......

....... by doing AND saying

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I then get berated with comments about how great a hero gary speed was. Like I give a toss. I have friends in afghanistan.

Bravo sir, bravo indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm going to share.
    I got asked for ID in the offie today. I'm 25, have an 'unemployment beard', have grey hair and I'm balding. I also have a 3 year old.
    My friends think I look early 40s. :o
    I DO NOT LOOK 17!
    It took me a minute and a half to persuade the dozy bitch. :mad:

You should have asked if her guide-dog was out the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

chocksaway wrote: »
    Think she just had nothing else to complain about.. she's a regular in the store who's always causing grief!

Ever thought of gluing a caster wheel to the bottom of her walking stick?

haha.. that's a great idea! She leans on it and then- POW! She falls and smashes her teeth in! Then she can't talk sh*te for a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

This kind of applies to the two discussions going on here.

I had cancer in 4th year at Secondary and I was doing Higher Maths at school. I'd only manage to make it to school maybe 2 or 3 times a month. My maths teacher would try and embarrass me every time I came in by calling me up to the blackboard to do the equations that I obviously wasn't in for and then would laugh at me when I didn't know what was going on and said 'You should just go down to Ordinary' every time.

Well I ended up with a B after the Leaving Cert and her face when my Mother told her was priceless. She is THE worst person I have ever met in my life and I will never forgive her for making the hardest time of my life even harder.

She came up to me in a pub during the Summer asking me what I was doing now (two years on) and I just turned around and walked away/

nisior wrote: »

I had cancer in 4th year at Secondary and I was doing Higher Maths at school. I'd only manage to make it to school maybe 2 or 3 times a month. My maths teacher would try and embarrass me every time I came in by calling me up to the blackboard to do the equations that I obviously wasn't in for and then would laugh at me when I didn't know what was going on and said 'You should just go down to Ordinary' every time.

Well I ended up with a B after the Leaving Cert and her face when my Mother told her was priceless. She is THE worst person I have ever met in my life and I will never forgive her for making the hardest time of my life even harder.

She came up to me in a pub during the Summer asking me what I was doing now (two years on) and I just turned around and walked away/

That's horrendous! hope your doing ok now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wish people would stop putting about the notion that honours maths is omg-super hard and deserves the extra points
    I don't really think it does at all, it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy - tell everyone it's really hard and they should find it difficult, and they will

That's not allowing for bad teachers of course

It's not in any way a self fulfilling prophecy. It is far more difficult than any other subject, and requires far more time.

And re the new ''project maths'' - it's the old course, with extra bits added in. I don't get why they say it's easier, although it is more relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Foundation level B, high five!

Im terrible at maths. Shame pretty much every college course in Ireland requires you to have a decent level at maths.

Also we went through about 4 maths teachers throughout 6th year, none of which could teach properly or show up half the time. They just didn't give a shíte about our class. :pac:

(Thread needs to be re named to something math related)

I only had one year to do the Leaving but I found most maths quiet easy, I enjoy anything to do with Fractions Geometry Area Volume Circle Percentages etc, Our teacher did make the effort even though she was pregnant at the time, But I cant get my head around the the complicated stuff. Its like a different language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

It's not in any way a self fulfilling prophecy. It is far more difficult than any other subject, and requires far more time.

And re the new ''project maths'' - it's the old course, with extra bits added in. I don't get why they say it's easier, although it is more relevant.

any sample paper on project maths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wow. Harsh!!

:pac:

Yahew wrote: »
    any sample paper on project maths?

Last years paper for the 24 pilot schools. This is only paper 2, paper one isn't introduced til next year. Haven't looked at this one myself, but I have looked at others, and read the curriculum. It contains more or less everything that was on the old one, plus some new sections.

The big change is that they expect you to do things by several methods. e.g. To find the orthocentre of a triangle (as an easy example!) they expect you to do it by geometry and trigonometry.

Or in probability, they expect you to use a variety of methods to get answers and verify them.

Also, it's not set areas for each question as before, they ask you to find the answer and don't tell you how they want you to do it as they would before.

Edit: having looked at that paper now, it's way easier than the stuff done in class, and also than the Edco sample papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

wait...did she know you had cancer when she was doing this...or are you referring to your mother telling her you got a B and not that you had cancer?

I never needed a parent to tell me what result their child got....I knew before them.

agreed...truly horrible and not just horrible person if she done this knowing you were sick

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Did the Chinese do all the mathematics while you painted pretty pictures of bridges?

Sort of - the nice Chinese folks did all the hard maths wih big numbers, and sometimes using letters instead of numbers cos thats just how they role.

I was dragged to the otherside of the world just to pick the colour of the bridge and work out where to tie the ribbon across it for the opening ceremony. I picked a pretty pink ribbon to go across my blue bridge.

Last years paper for the 24 pilot schools. This is only paper 2, paper one isn't introduced til next year. Haven't looked at this one myself, but I have looked at others, and read the curriculum. It contains more or less everything that was on the old one, plus some new sections.

The big change is that they expect you to do things by several methods. e.g. To find the orthocentre of a triangle (as an easy example!) they expect you to do it by geometry and trigonometry.

Or in probability, they expect you to use a variety of methods to get answers and verify them.

Also, it's not set areas for each question as before, they ask you to find the answer and don't tell you how they want you to do it as they would before.

Edit: having looked at that paper now, it's way easier than the stuff done in class, and also than the Edco sample papers.

Wheres the calculus and the sequence and series!!!

That looks easier than the HL I did. I do like the probability questions though, stats is an interesting topic. Is Paper 1 more traditional - what is expected to be on it?

merengueca wrote: »
    Sort of - the nice Chinese folks did all the hard maths wih big numbers, and sometimes using letters instead of numbers cos thats just how they role.

I was dragged to the otherside of the world just to pick the colour of the bridge and work out where to tie the ribbon across it for the opening ceremony. I picked a pretty pink ribbon to go across my blue bridge.

I deleted the comment you replied to before this, for being nasty, but fair reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

That's horrendous! hope your doing ok now though
    Ah yeah, doing well enough these days :)
    amacca wrote: »
    wait...did she know you had cancer when she was doing this...or are you referring to your mother telling her you got a B and not that you had cancer?

I never needed a parent to tell me what result their child got....I knew before them.

agreed...truly horrible and not just horrible person if she done this knowing you were sick

Yeah my Doctor had a letter that the Principal was meant to share with teachers and even if she hadn't gotten that I was rocking the bald head look. Well she had a baby the month before the results came out and my mother and I were in the shop when she came over to ask my mom what I got.

• Advertisement

Wheres the calculus and the sequence and series!!!

That looks easier than the HL I did. I do like the probability questions though, stats is an interesting topic. Is Paper 1 more traditional - what is expected to be on it?

It's all on paper one, which won't be examined as project maths until 2013. (for 2012, it'll still be the old type of paper).

The topics haven't changed it's all still there - algebra, differentiation, integration , sequences and series, matrices, complex numbers on paper one.

Line, circle, trigonometry, geometry (which is new to LC), probability and statistics on paper 2.

Ah yeah, doing well enough these days :)

Yeah my Doctor had a letter that the Principal was meant to share with teachers and even if she hadn't gotten that I was rocking the bald head look. Well she had a baby the month before the results came out and my mother and I were in the shop when she came over to ask my mom what I got.
    She seems to me as your common, garden variety idiot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Maths teachers have a habit of that. I went to my teacher (the same one that made a comment about maths being for retards) and told her that I was struggling at maths. She told me it was alright she would help me. The in front of the whole class she asked me how to do an equation, when I couldnt figure it out she said in front of the whole class "I know your only pretending to try but well keep on pretending really".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Project Maths is a load of toss, tbh. It is, in my mind, a very poor attempt to make maths accessible. There is, for some reason, a resistance by children to learn maths, often due to the popularly perpetrated myth that "maths is no use in the real world". I agree that trying to relate it to real world situations is a nice concept, but it's still the same core concepts, which sadly bore some people. I had a tremendous amount of trouble on teaching practice last year trying to interest the students, as did a number of the other teachers in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Just home from working in the local supermarket. I've been working there part-time for the past 8 years while I was in school and college.
    Anywho some auld middle-aged bint same in today and told me I should do the decent thing and quit so that other more needy people can have my job! :mad:
    I normally wouldn't advocate violence but seriously wasnted to hit her in the face with a shovel!

So has anyone ever said something to you that left ya raging??

You should have just told her to die quickly so as not to be a strain on the health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

"Your call centre is in Ireland!? So you're not some Indian retard? DAVE ITS A PADDY ON THE PHONE FOR TALKTALK!"

:mad:

• Advertisement

DB21 wrote: »
    Project Maths is a load of toss, tbh. It is, in my mind, a very poor attempt to make maths accessible. There is, for some reason, a resistance by children to learn maths, often due to the popularly perpetrated myth that "maths is no use in the real world". I agree that trying to relate it to real world situations is a nice concept, but it's still the same core concepts, which sadly bore some people. I had a tremendous amount of trouble on teaching practice last year trying to interest the students, as did a number of the other teachers in the school.

If they are told that it's hard from primary school up, and scared off with that through secondary, it's no surprise.
    It should be approached more as "here's a problem, how do you think we'll solve it? Well, here are some tools.".
    Not a bunch of boring axioms they can't see the point of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Comments that left you fuming = maths debate ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Annoying comment... hmm... My sixth class teacher asking us every week 'hands up who went to mass this weekend? ...that's good, but could be better'. Seriously?

woodoo wrote: »
    Comments that left you fuming = maths debate ???

Yeah seems to have gotten derailed a bit! Kinda wanna see where it goes next!

bluewolf wrote: »
    If they are told that it's hard from primary school up, and scared off with that through secondary, it's no surprise.
    It should be approached more as "here's a problem, how do you think we'll solve it? Well, here are some tools.".
    Not a bunch of boring axioms they can't see the point of

To be honest, the only way I can see the problem being solved right now is by splitting the maths course after JC into strands, each one geared towards a particular career.

Frankly, as of now, it takes a certain type of person to have a full interest in maths. It goes beyond "seeing the point of it". But this can be rectified if people aren't told from the day they start "maths is tough". I genuinely believe that we could have a situation in the future where the majority of students would be interested in, and capable of, doing Higher level maths if they chose to. But now, it's restricted to a small minority, in some schools smaller than the minority doing Foundation. It's an attitude that needs changing, but Project Maths, which kicks in in Secondary School, is too late a stage to start. Primary School teaching styles need to be reviewed and revised.

• Advertisement

Primary School teaching styles need to be reviewed and revised.

spot on

To be honest, the only way I can see the problem being solved right now is by splitting the maths course after JC into strands, each one geared towards a particular career.

The problem is, apparently, that not enough people can do an already dumbed down course. Tough. HL is probably - and should only be - doable by the top 10%-20%. Who then do science, maths, economics etc in uni. Any further dumbing down and we get a course which is not fit for purpose.

Behind all this is the fact that too many people go to university. At 25% of the population in the 80'/early 90's the fact that 10-15% did honours maths was not an issue, as it was half the college bound population. Now more people go and they need the points, or something.

Lets not dumb down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The problem is, apparently, that not enough people can do an already dumbed down course. Tough. HL is probably - and should only be - doable by the top 10%-20%. Who then do science, maths, economics etc in uni. Any further dumbing down and we get a course which is not fit for purpose.

Behind all this is the fact that too many people go to university. At 25% of the population in the 80'/early 90's the fact that 10-15% did honours maths was not an issue, as it was half the college bound population. Now more people go and they need the points, or something.

Lets not dumb down.

I agree to a certain extent but science is not the exclusive domain of those who do higher level maths not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I agree to a certain extent but science is not the exclusive domain of those who do higher level maths not by a long shot.

Higher maths is not an exclusive domain at all. I'm not an exceptional student by any means, but I do it, and find it easier than the bull**** poetry in English or the sheer amount of formulas and measurements you need to remember for Physics. And then there's the all the experiments you need to know about for Chemistry.

I actually find it to be the easiest subject I do, bar economics or art.

If Primary school teachers spent more time on Maths, and Junior Cert maths was more advanced, then we could massively improve maths in the leaving cert, and we could get more people doing higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Stupidest comment I ever heard? Here's a list of them:
    http://evebitfirst.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/a-man-is-a-rape-supporter-if/

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    retards...manual laboureres....no hopers....ordinary maths students.

Just a case of wording...
    Proof that doing higher mates doesn't make you any less of a retard :D

Jesus Christ, I mean thats just cringe worthy.

G.muny wrote: »
    Proof that doing higher mates doesn't make you any less of a retard :D
    Jesus Christ, I mean thats just cringe worthy.

Certainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Not really, how will somebody who did ordinary maths for the LC manage in a science or engineering degree. If they couldn't be arsed putting in enough extra work to keep up higher level in school they sure wont after.

I did ordinary level maths for the LC and got an A1 , I am in my second year of a science degree. and I manage quite well actually , so maybe you should do ordinary level common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

Certainly
    Oh a typo.....well you really got me there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I can't help but finding a correlation between those that feel that maths is never used in the real world and those that did ordinary level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Did HL Maths up until end of 5th Year as a broke my ankle and was out for 2 months. I was struggling anyway but that was the final nail.
    In Leaving Cert got B1 in OL, doing Science course now, loads of Maths.
    Like Maths as a subject but some topics can get me...
    HL Maths would definitely have been a huge bonus but I must say I'm doing relatively good in the Maths Module as a whole, and am glad the course allows OL Maths students in...
    To be fair, I think the point system is a lark...
    Points didn't really affect me in the Leaving Cert but regardless,
    You could be excellent in the subjects you need for your specific course but chances are if you're not doing as well in other subjects, you won't get your course.
    Also some minimum entry requirements...
    A language, for example, to get into the majority of courses for UCC.
    Irish to get into any Uni or IT...
    I done my language and got an exemption from Irish (being English) but I'm speaking on others behalves.
    I know friends who never got their course because they never met their M.E.Q's...
    Now a more personal one, appealing.
    I appealed two subjects for the LC,
    I was 5 points away from my first choice,
    Although my first and second choice were almost identical,
    I thought I done better in these subjects so I appealed anyway...
    By the time I was allowed to appeal, I was into my second week of my course...
    By the time I got my results back, I was after doing my midterm exams in my course...

The world sends us these things to try us...
    And try us they do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Did HL Maths up until end of 5th Year as a broke my ankle and was out for 2 months. I was struggling anyway but that was the final nail.
    In Leaving Cert got B1 in OL, doing Science course now, loads of Maths.
    Like Maths as a subject but some topics can get me...
    HL Maths would definitely have been a huge bonus but I must say I'm doing relatively good in the Maths Module as a whole, and am glad the course allows OL Maths students in...
    To be fair, I think the point system is a lark...
    Points didn't really affect me in the Leaving Cert but regardless,
    You could be excellent in the subjects you need for your specific course but chances are if you're not doing as well in other subjects, you won't get your course.
    Also some minimum entry requirements...
    A language, for example, to get into the majority of courses for UCC.
    Irish to get into any Uni or IT...
    I done my language and got an exemption from Irish (being English) but I'm speaking on others behalves.
    I know friends who never got their course because they never met their M.E.Q's...
    Now a more personal one, appealing.
    I appealed two subjects for the LC,
    I was 5 points away from my first choice,
    Although my first and second choice were almost identical,
    I thought I done better in these subjects so I appealed anyway...
    By the time I was allowed to appeal, I was into my second week of my course...
    By the time I got my results back, I was after doing my midterm exams in my course...

The world sends us these things to try us...
    And try us they do...

and now he's the lead singer of Coldplay.

there's a lesson there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Science graduates make great singers.
    It was that course that gave me the idea of the track Speed of Sound..

Also The Scientist. Fair play Chris. Keep it lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Mathematics is the most creative and artistic thing us humans can do. There is a beauty in it. In 1976 NASA launched 2 probes, the voyager probes, to take advantage of a unique planetary alignment. To know about that alignment and launch those probes to randavieu with all the planets, and some of the moons, in our solar system was a culmination of all of man's science and mathematical knowledge from 1976 to the time of the Pharaohs.

It was estimated the accuracy of the navigation was a feat matched only by trying to fire a thread into the eye of a needle 25 miles away. Those missions went flawlessly, an incredible mathematical and human achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

44leto wrote: »
    Mathematics is the most creative and artistic thing us humans can do. There is a beauty in it. In 1976 NASA launched 2 probes, the voyager probes, to take advantage of a unique planetary alignment. To know about that alignment and launch those probes to randavieu with all the planets, and some of the moons, in our solar system was a culmination of all of man's science and mathematical knowledge from 1976 to the time of the Pharaohs.

It was estimated the accuracy of the navigation was a feat matched only by trying to fire a thread into the eye of a needle 25 miles away. Those missions went flawlessly, an incredible mathematical and human achievement.

Yet none of them got laid that night!!! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yet none of them got laid that night!!! ;-)

Your barometer of success?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Haelium wrote: »
    Higher maths is not an exclusive domain at all. I'm not an exceptional student by any means, but I do it, and find it easier than the bull**** poetry in English or the sheer amount of formulas and measurements you need to remember for Physics. And then there's the all the experiments you need to know about for Chemistry.

I actually find it to be the easiest subject I do, bar economics or art.

If Primary school teachers spent more time on Maths, and Junior Cert maths was more advanced, then we could massively improve maths in the leaving cert, and we could get more people doing higher level.

I think it has a lot to do with the stage your mind is at as well as who you are as a person. I was having an awful time in honours maths so had to go down to ordinary level and got something like a b1. It took me a while but in college at some stage everything clicked and I advanced a lot with maths during those years. Now I don't find maths a problem at all, it's one of the subjects I am confident in. I make silly mistakes every now and again but who doesn't.

In college, and now in University, I've come across students who did honours maths and had done well in it, but I find that I'm finding the maths easier than they are.

I've always been under the opinion that the leaving cert isn't the be all and end all. It's not convenient for every one to reach their peak in those years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

...my brother got a B in ordinary maths and went on to top his class in Engineering in university
    Which university is was that?
    (Just wondering where you can do Engineering without having done Maths at Higher Level)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Which university is was that?
    (Just wondering where you can do Engineering without having done Maths at Higher Level)

A lot of them actually.
    Heres one which will get joes hotline bouncing...
    Im in third year of my college degree. Im going to be a maths teacher. From this February onwards ill be teaching YOUR very children higher level leaving cert maths!

I only did ordinary myself :eek:

Advertisement