Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Power to PC/Dead Motherboard

Options
  • 27-11-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I was asked to fix a years old pc recently. The pc was not turning on at all. Opening it up there were no leds lit up on the mobo, although I cant really see any on it.

I tried a different PSU and it sill wouldnt boot. I tested the two PSUs on another pc and they both work. I tried testing the on button by using a screwdriver to bridge the power button connection and even tried swapping it with the rest button but to no avail.

Im now thinking the motherboard may be dead. Im just wondering if this is symptoms of a classic dead mobo or even if it was dead shoul it still boot to a certain point.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I was asked to fix a years old pc recently. The pc was not turning on at all. Opening it up there were no leds lit up on the mobo, although I cant really see any on it.

I tried a different PSU and it sill wouldnt boot. I tested the two PSUs on another pc and they both work. I tried testing the on button by using a screwdriver to bridge the power button connection and even tried swapping it with the rest button but to no avail.

Im now thinking the motherboard may be dead. Im just wondering if this is symptoms of a classic dead mobo or even if it was dead shoul it still boot to a certain point.

check the capacitors on the motherboard.... if any of them look swollen around the middle its blown. better off buying a new board rather than trying to replace the capacitors

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Replaced the PSU and graphics card and it was working again. Think both were dodgy. May have been causing a short or something.

Advertisement