Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question regarding Fixed term contracts

Options
  • 27-11-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been on a fixed term contract for over 3 years now. Have had a few contracts, many backdated as would never get one before my previous one was up:rolleyes: I think my last contract ended a month ago.

I've just been told i'm being relocated to another job in a different office from my own. The location is really inconvenient for me an i'm a bit annoyed after being in the same section for so long. I was told that it was basically this or redundancy.

Anyway, i overheard that a permanent employee in the same office will be taking my job once i move to this new location.

I'm just wondering can they even do this based on the following:

"The Protection of Employees (Fixed-Term Work) Act 2003 applies to most employees on fixed-term contracts. However, it does not apply to agency workers, to apprentices and trainees, and to people in publicly-funded employment schemes such as Community Employment. The Act provides that fixed-term employees may not be treated less favourably than comparable permanent employees unless the employer can objectively justify the different treatment."

I would understand if my job was no longer available or if there was no work for me there anymore but that's not the case.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Any help? I've a meeting with hr soon. Maybe it sounds like i'm being unreasonable and guess i should be lucky i still have a job in the current climate but i dont think i should be moved just so a permament employee who's not even qualified to do my job should take my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Are you in a union? If so, contact them asap as I know they deal with a lot if fixed term contract abuse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends on two things really:

1) What does your contract say about work location and flexibiilty?
    2) When is your last contract due/up?

They can move you even if you were permanent and being on fixed contract only makes it easier to enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Sala wrote: »
    Are you in a union? If so, contact them asap as I know they deal with a lot if fixed term contract abuse

Not in a union unfortunately:(
    Nody wrote: »
    Depends on two things really:

1) What does your contract say about work location and flexibiilty?
    2) When is your last contract due/up?

They can move you even if you were permanent and being on fixed contract only makes it easier to enforce.

All contracts even for permanent staff state we may be be asked to move work location within a certain amount of miles i think.

Contract ended nearly 2 months ago.It's always the same in our place. Never get a new one before old one is up and new one is then backdated.

Considering all my contracts stated we were entitled to annual bonuses, they are essentially breaching it anyway cos i haven't received a cent in bonus payments since i started due to pay freezes at the moment:rolleyes:

The main thing i'm annoyed about is that i have to train a permament employee how to do my job before i'm moved off somewhere else. I'd understand if the job was no longer available.

They are probably able to get away with doing this though.:(

Advertisement