Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas lights switch on 27/11/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

6413198171_714910dcff_z.jpg
    Christmas lights by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Very Suspicious Santa... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

did it start early this year? Was supposed to start at 16:30, we arrived a bit late and the ceremony itself was wrapping up, last year it seemed to go on forever (in the pouring rain).

• Advertisement

6413197749_21cf5871d1_z.jpg

6413197245_d50c33e0a4_z.jpg

6413196727_f60dde7975_z.jpg

6413195901_db600df6f9_z.jpg

6413194727_62e06b2b80_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

it was an absolute disaster .. such bad organisation...won't be going there again that's for sure!!!

Dr. Silly
    What went wrong........in your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Dr. Silly
    What went wrong........in your opinion.

I thought it was in the wrong location for Starters John.
    The Santa was a disaster with alot of the kids not getting to see him.

Why couldn't they have it on the main street where santa would go from one end to another where most people could see him and get there lolly pops from him.

This isn't just my opinion btw. I was with two other families and have since spoke to three other fathers who all said it was terrible.

6413311525_4854c4c7c3_z.jpg
    DSC_0102 (Large) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I had a drive down. I thought the problem with funding was sorted ;-) but i guess not much money was raised for the lights. the tree in the corner of the park looks sad and wishes it was in a town that had more funding. Even my small tree will have more lights than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

Very disappointed to see that the Dart station has no lights they only re did the plaster work last week they could have put them up then. They are the odd one out on the street tut tut irishrail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Was this advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Jammyc wrote: »
    Was this advertised?

There were huge banners on every entry in to Greystones.
    Signs up on the lamp posts on the main street.
    It was also in the Wiclow Times.
    Greystones Guide.ie

Not sure where else but even i knew about it and I'm always last to find out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    I thought it was in the wrong location for Starters John.
    The Santa was a disaster with alot of the kids not getting to see him.

he went along the line several times, seemed to be getting to any kids who wanted to see him. they did run out of lollipops though :(

I don't think the tree looks that bad - they usually try not to put too many lights on the lower branches as they get vandalised.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Was this advertised?
    Yes, there were posters in a lot of the shop windows too

6414696819_32dcf02a1c_z.jpg
    27/11/2011 Greystones by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

6414720885_201b54e19c.jpg
    Advert. by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Great pictures John.
    Wasn't there, so can't comment on complaints. At the same time they do seem valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Damn, really need to start opening my eyes. Fairly disappointed that I missed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sinkadinka

Yes, I agree with Dr Silly. It was impossible to see anything and we had one little 3year old who was very upset because he couldnt see Santa. A few years back the lighting ceremony took place in the Meridian Centre and it was much better, they had a stage set up so everyone could see what was going on. Also the carol singers could have catered a bit more towards children instead of adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

They tried something new. It obviously didn't work well for some people. It's important to make sure the organisers get the feedback as opposed to just moaning about it on an anonymous forum.

Not saying that's the case here though...;)

I thought it was fine, very busy alright but sure it always is. We missed the lights going on cause I reckoned it would go on for hours like previous years but that's my bad. There was a real buzz about the place too. Roll on Christmas :D

Great pics as always John :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

I noticed driving thru the town this evening that the following shops didnt have xmas lights over them.

1. La Touche Wines
    2. JuJu clothes shop
    3. Sports cuts barbers
    4. Champs Barbers
    5. Hotspot
    6. Xtra vision

Does this mean they didnt pay for their xmas lights...or asked not to be included for religious purposes????? Very sad either way. The town needs people to come and shop local and when every effort is being made to promote local business and keep jobs it seems very sad indeed that these shops didnt get involved for whatever reason. I have already bought most of my presents this xmas locally in shops in Greystones. I must say I wont be giving any of the above shops my business Bahumbugs!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jimjay wrote: »
    I had a drive down. I thought the problem with funding was sorted ;-) but i guess not much money was raised for the lights. the tree in the corner of the park looks sad and wishes it was in a town that had more funding. Even my small tree will have more lights than that.

I disagree - I think that the tree looks very pretty and tasteful

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Advertisement