Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms handling course??

Options
  • 27-11-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey lads, my cousin just bought a new 10/22. To get his licence he has to do a safty course. Would any of you know if there is a course starting in the Sth Tipp-Kilkenny area anytime soon. Thanks lads....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Anyone................?????????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The midlands hold a safety course once a month, and most every other rifle range has theor own course. If the midlands does not suit then ring around a few ranges, and ask what they do, when, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Is there any sort of standards to adhere to for these courses or can any joe soap set up and do them ?

I cannot speak for other ranges, but the lads in the mdlands go to regular training courses, a few times a year, both here, and in the UK to get their training that allows them to certify others.

Thing is as the Gardai do not officially recognize any safety course there are no listed or set out standards by which to adhere.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Davidcardiff

Ring tommy in harbour house in Athy he'll organise one for you if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Get inb contact with gene murphy from shootin,n,fishin in ballybricken.. He does the competency course in bishops mountain shooting grounds between mullinavat and new ross.. Decent bloke and wont put you wrong..

Thanks for the replys lads, ill get on to them guys and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Out of interest, what exactly takes place in this handling course? Is it just general safety information or does it go more in depth and talk about other aspects of owning a firearm, such as, say, cleaning and maintenance etc etc.

Its a basic safety course. Covers;
    • Safe handling
    • Backstops
    • Zeroing
    • Awareness
    • Proper Hold
    • Technique
    You know, the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Ezridax wrote: »
    Its a basic safety course. Covers;
    • Safe handling
    • Backstops
    • Zeroing
    • Awareness
    • Proper Hold
    • Technique
    You know, the usual.

Does the safety course involve actual shooting or is it all theory ?

Do you need to have applied for your license to go on one of these courses? or can you do a course without ever have applying for a license?

Wondering if it means that any Jack Barry that has wondered about a shooting sport that has never fired a gun but was curious......
    who wants to try rifle shooting but does not have a license for a firearm could sign up, pay money and do the safety course and fire a few shots, and in doing so may make their mind up as if they want to pursue getting their own gun or not.

try before you buy loophole?

~B

• Advertisement

bullets wrote: »

Couldn't tell you. I don't run them, and as i've been shooting for 20+ years didn't have to do one to get my license. I meet the lads, and ladies that do the course on the morning, but they are brought to a closed off range where they can be instructed, uninterupted.
    Do you need to have applied for your license to go on one of these courses? or can you do a course without ever have applying for a license?

No. There is no need to be seeking a firearm to do the course.
    Wondering if it means that any Jack Barry that has wondered about a shooting sport that has never fired a gun but was curious......
    who wants to try rifle shooting but does not have a license for a firearm could sign up, pay money and do the safety course and fire a few shots, and in doing so may make their mind up as if they want to pursue getting their own gun or not.

~B

Are you asking do they allow day membership? As you may (or may not) know they are not allowed, and the midlands certainly do not allow such "pay per day" shooting. I think some ranges may allow it, but thats their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

~B

No I don't think you need to have applied for your license. In fact, it was this reason I believe a friend of mine who I have just been talking to had to go do one.

He had been shooting for about 6 years, however had always been using borrowed guns etc. When he went to apply, his RFD said just do it, as the super in his area had requested a couple of recent first time applicants to do one.

I suppose it's all going to vary, but at the end of the day, it can't really be a bad thing. I think he paid around €20 for his one, took a couple hours, fired a few shots and talked about general safety.

Probably not a bad thing to go ahead and just do if you are a first time applicant. At least nobody will be able to take it from you that you didn't do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

johnk123 wrote: »

I suppose it's all going to vary, but at the end of the day, it can't really be a bad thing. I think he paid around €20 for his one, took a couple hours, fired a few shots and talked about general safety.

Probably not a bad thing to go ahead and just do if you are a first time applicant. At least nobody will be able to take it from you that you didn't do one.

I think its a great idea as if there is some firing of shots involved it would
    basically let someone Learn about safety and see if they like it, without the
    expense of paying membership and licence fees up front only to find they get bored after a few shots. Lost track of the amount of times someone asked me if they could go someplace to try rifle and were disapointed to be told the needed to be a member of a club or have their own licence and be a guest etc.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

The nargc run a few firearm handling courses every year, but in my opinion these are just to cover their own arses. I attended one last year for the craic, and was disappointed in that they knew feck all about rifles or ballistics when a lot of the guys there were only doing the course to get their first rifle and had no interest in shotguns. As far as I could see the course is totally based on shotgun shooting.

I think its a great idea as if there is some firing of shots involved it would basically let someone Learn about safety and see if they like it, without the expense of paying membership and licence fees up front only to find they get bored after a few shots. Lost track of the amount of times someone asked me if they could go someplace to try rifle and were disapointed to be told the needed to be a member of a club or have their own licence and be a guest etc.

~B

There is a difference between what you are asking/talking about and a safety course. A safety curse is not designed to see if the person likes shooting. Its initial reason for being is for a range to instruct, and certify that a person can safely, and adequately handle a firearm to a standard high enough to satisfy the Gardai. IIRC ranges are allowed to let those under instruction fire a firearm (range gun) for the purposes of teaching, learning, instruction, testing, etc.

However you are refering to ranges that allow newbies in to shoot range/club guns for the purpose of trying out shooting. There are a couple that do this. Its a good idea alright, but it is not related to or what a safety course is about. I would imagine the majority if not all people attending courses are doing so to satisfy An Gardai request for a cert prior to being licensed.
    Declan1980 wrote:
    As far as I could see the course is totally based on shotgun shooting

We've sent two lads to these courses (from our gunclub) and they said the same. I've not been to one yet so will not go on as anything i say is based on second hand info. A safety course should, within reason, cover a multitude of firearms. From O/U shotguns to semi-autos, and .22lr to 308s. There is no need to go into "target talk" such as the BC of a round, rifle twist rates, and other technical aspects that would only serve to confuse, and overwhelm a newbie, but range of a firearm, safe backstop, identifying your target, correct handling, etc. These are important points. Other more technical points can be picked up as the shootrs ability grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

best thing to do is ask your local gunshop who does them in your area. if you are located in south tipp area, i know if a guy i did mine with, so PM me and i will provide you his name and phone number.

hope this helps.

Went to one of those NARGC profecence courses last year in clarihan i think it was and after the course finished i asked one of the instructers a few questions about rifles and rifle saft and ballistics and he hadnt a clue, none of them had. Took my cousin to the handling course wednesday evening and to be honest it was a complete rob of 50EURO!!! I could of told him the same out in the back field for nothing! B******T!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

There are NRA courses run all over the country aswell.

"Rifle: Basic Safety & Handling", as well as many more.

As the name of the course suggests its intention is not to teach proficiency but rather to introduce everyone who attends to the same basic safety and handling concepts and rules.

Those courses tend to have quite a lot of classroom work, followed by some range time, followed by exams - they tend to be a wide sweep covering a number of actions such as Bolt, Semi, Pump, Lever action, etc.

They tend to show how to shoot a number of positions (Range Dependent) such as Bench, Standing, Prone.

What they wont do is get into calibres, ballistics, reading the wind etc.

They are usually run with .22 rifles as most ranges can handle that.

If what you are after is a good introduction to the Basic Safety and Handling of Rifles - then they are a good course. If what you are after is how to be a better shot - then they are not what you are looking for.

I am sure someone will post details of one in your area - if not then ask in your local Gun Club.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Under Lever 2011

Fermoy Rifle Club also do these Safety Courses and I am certain that they will facilitate any shooter. I believe they are organising one for the New Year.

Advertisement