Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kindle or a tablet

• 27-11-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Other half wants a kindle for christmas. She seen them for sale in tesco and wants one. My question is this.

Can she download books in ireland.

Would she not be better off getting a tablet and can she down load books onto a tablet.

My figuring is with a tablet she can do more.

Any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Reading off a tablet is filthy compared to reading off an e-book. They're totally different screen types. You really need to see the e-ink screen to appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Khannie wrote: »
    Reading off a tablet is filthy compared to reading off an e-book. They're totally different screen types. You really need to see the e-ink screen to appreciate it.

So the kindle will make for better reading...... Is that my understanding?

Any suggestions on what type of e book based on buying books in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Capacity

Just prchased a Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink folowing a considerable amount of research and agonising as to what to choose. A great part of the fun is in the searching but I think the link below says it all:

http://movingfinger.hubpages.com/hub/Kindle-vs-iPad-vs-Tablet-Pcs

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Capacity

Oh, I forgot to mention, Purchase from the States and register your Kindle on Amazon.com not .uk as the choice, no of free books and prices are best for Irish customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 kinseydub

Reading off a kindle during the day is brilliant , but cant say the same for low light conditions . I got the other half one about 3 weeks ago for her birthday and as of today it's still in the box and doesn't look like it will ever be used. Nightmare to setup without credit card and the buttons, keyboard are very fustrating to use. i feel it will be sold shortly and a tablet or ipad bought for christmas. Obviously their is more to do on a tablet/ipad as the kindle is just for reading. I knew this when i bought it, but after judging the reaction from herself who is a big book reader herself. I honestly feel a tablet/ipad is the way to go. A backlit screen being the main cause for this decision. Very let down by the kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

kinseydub wrote: »
    Reading off a kindle during the day is brilliant , but cant say the same for low light conditions . I got the other half one about 3 weeks ago for her birthday and as of today it's still in the box and doesn't look like it will ever be used. Nightmare to setup without credit card and the buttons, keyboard are very fustrating to use. i feel it will be sold shortly and a tablet or ipad bought for christmas. Obviously their is more to do on a tablet/ipad as the kindle is just for reading. I knew this when i bought it, but after judging the reaction from herself who is a big book reader herself. I honestly feel a tablet/ipad is the way to go. A backlit screen being the main cause for this decision. Very let down by the kindle.
    Whatever about your other problems, the lack of a backlit screen is a major plus point for the kindle - it's a more natural reading experience.

Q: Are your normal paper books 'backlit'? And what do you do when there is low light conditions - go figure:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 kinseydub

No , her normal books are not "backlit" , it would be pretty hard to read a book in the dark . Kinda like this kindle is.
    Again , it's not my kindle. i bought it for the other half just like the OP intends to do and i am sharing my experience. Yes the screen is very nice to read off during the day.
    The OP asks "kindle or tablet" and i have gave my opinion. ATPNTP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

If she wants it for reading, then definitely get her a Kindle - reading off a tablet for any length of time is a fast track to a nasty headache. You can use it in exactly the same lighting conditions as a regular book - it is not backlit (and that is a good thing)

As for buying books with it - it's easy peasy.
    Hubby has the 3G keyboard one, and you can literally think of a book and have it downloaded within 30 seconds. And the 3G is free practically worldwide - so if she travels at all, it is particularly great.

If you decide against 3G, then it is simple to buy the books online and transfer them over to the reader - and there are literally 1000s of free books available.

Advertisement