Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop me buying something that sucks for the misses this year

• 27-11-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

I have a history of buying really bad pressies for the misses, for example last year she got a weather station:eek:. At the time it seamed like a good idea but she didnt talk to me all christmas day:(

This year I have to get something decent or my life will be hell! Trouble is that she hates vouchers so that rules out the easy options like shopping centers or massage etc.

I was thinking a Kindle, she likes gadgets and reads a bit but its not really girly. I may also get a sushi kit as she loves it but again is this any better than a weather station?

Can anyone suggest something good, she is late 30's and we have a little girl.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

krissovo wrote: »
    I was thinking a Kindle, she likes gadgets and reads a bit but its not really girly. I may also get a sushi kit as she loves it but again is this any better than a weather station?

Presents for women don't have to be 'girly' (unless they're specifically girly girls).
    If she likes reading and gadgets then a Kindle might be good, would she get a chance to use it? As in, would there be times she could read but it would too cumbersome to bring a book? (travelling to/from work etc.)
    If she really likes sushi then a sushi kit / book on how to make them sounds like a nice idea too.

It needs to be something she has an interest in, something she wants but wouldn't buy for herself perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

If she likes gadgets and reading the Kindle sounds like a good idea.

As for girly gifts - I had to turn round to my fella (together just over a year) and tell him to stop buying me jewellery. He bought my birthday and Christmas presents while in the States a week or so ago and couldn't stop himself giving them to me early. But while both are really pretty - earrings and necklace - I just don't wear jewellery that often and I really feel like I'm upsetting him when I don't. When he turned around and mentioned that the Ipad 2 was going for about $200 while he was over there I nearly hit him. Considering the cost would have been about the same that's what I would have preferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Have a read through this thread so you know what NOT to buy :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056458743

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Mrs Redspot is known for her love of sushi so we have about 5 sushi making sets. People just keep buying them for her. She made some once and it was lovely but the thing is if you want a selection you have to make a few fish worth, and unless you have a load of friends around that will help you eat it that day, then it'll all go to waste.
    She also went to a sushi making class, which she really enjoyed. I think it was run by Sushi King but I could find out.

My wife isn't particularly 'girly' but loves a girls day out with our daughter, get dressed up, sushi feast, hair and nails, girly film in the cinema with treats. Depending on the child's age and where you live, even getting the bus into town might be an exciting part of it. This would involve some vouchers, but if you packaged them all up as a day out she might not mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

My husband bought me a touchpad for my birthday and i was over the moon with it. If she's into gadgets its a good way to go. Isn't the kindle just a reader, im not too sure. Wouldn't it be better to get an ipad or touchpad so she can do more than read on it. My Hubby picked a touchpad for me cause he knows i don't like anything by apple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Man, I'd love if my husband bought me a weather station!

I give him pointers these days, it gets harder the longer you are together in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Man, I'd love if my husband bought me a weather station!

I give him pointers these days, it gets harder the longer you are together in my experience.

Want to trade husband ;)

Thanks all, she would love an ipad but at over €400 its probably too much. My budget would be around €300 as we have a rule that €200 is the most. We are Apple snobs so any other tablet of off limits.

We both travel a lot with work so I think the Kindle is definitely on the list. The sushi kit is on so I have about €180 left in my budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

No woman with any sense would turn down a day out a spa. Get her a voucher for some pampering (massage, facial) thrown in.

esperanza1 wrote: »
    No woman with any sense would turn down a day out a spa. Get her a voucher for some pampering (massage, facial) thrown in.

This does not work as in order to give it as a gift I would have to give her a voucher. Last years Spa voucher is still unused:( and so is the shopping vouchers:(

This would work on her Birthday when I can take her to the Spa that day but vouchers are very much off limits for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mariol

I dunno, maybe go for a load of little gifts instead and throw them into a hamper? If you've got 180 to play with I think it's not a bad idea. Couple of dvds/books/cds, tshirt, pyjamas, her favourite perfume, etc.

• Advertisement

This does not work as in order to give it as a gift I would have to give her a voucher. Last years Spa voucher is still unused:( and so is the shopping vouchers:(

This would work on her Birthday when I can take her to the Spa that day but vouchers are very much off limits for me.

LOL! Get her nothing, so! It seems she has everything she wants! How about a holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Apologies if this drags the thread off topic, but I wouldn't use a spa voucher, that doesn't mean I don't have any sense, it means I clearly don't like spa's so therefore a voucher wouldn't be of any use to me and would be either given to someone else (not re-gifted, but given away so it would get used).

For me personally, I'd love a hamper of little things that I like (and would use, such as cosmetics, pyjamas, bed socks, bath/body/hair things, costume jewellery. Maybe even a bottle of my favourite perfume.

What about a new mobile phone? Or new clothes? Trip to the theatre? Concert? New handbag/shoes? Jewellery?

What kinda things is your partner into? Is she a girly girl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have to agree with Purple Bobbin - a 'spa' or facials/ manicures/ pedicures/ massages any of those -- sound like hell to me to be quite honest.
    They're great for people who like them, but if (in this case) the person in question didn't use one previously, then getting another just makes you look silly.
    Same with shopping vouchers, only really good if they're big fans of shopping (personally another thing I don't like).

I think the OP is on the right track with the Kindle to start with. As others have said - maybe put it into a hamper with other little things she might like.

For me personally, I'd love a hamper of little things that I like (and would use, such as cosmetics, pyjamas, bed socks, bath/body/hair things, costume jewellery. Maybe even a bottle of my favourite perfume.

What about a new mobile phone? Or new clothes? Trip to the theatre? Concert? New handbag/shoes? Jewellery?

I like the hamper idea with lots of little things now:D Cosmetics are a challenge as she has quite sensitive skin. If anyone can recommend a brand of some items then I will be happy. I know her eye make up is running out so a nice box of that would do the trick.

Bought her the Iphone 4 for her birthday already :(
    I travel with work abroad a lot so she has possibly over 100 bottles or perfume now.

Shes not a girly girl, she mucks in when needed, does not wear make up during the week but likes to get dolled up when we go out (takes 4 or 5 hours :().

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

so vouchers are out and the other options are more materialistic......why don't you go for something sentimental like pick up a nice photo album or a frame that houses several photos and put some in of you and her and your family etc? its a small gift but gives more!

I will do a photo frame as well I think, nice idea. We hardly have any photos around the place now that we are digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I like the hamper idea with lots of little things now:D Cosmetics are a challenge as she has quite sensitive skin. If anyone can recommend a brand of some items then I will be happy. I know her eye make up is running out so a nice box of that would do the trick.

Bought her the Iphone 4 for her birthday already :(
    I travel with work abroad a lot so she has possibly over 100 bottles or perfume now.

Shes not a girly girl, she mucks in when needed, does not wear make up during the week but likes to get dolled up when we go out (takes 4 or 5 hours :().
    What brand of cosmetics does she use normally? Could you have a little look through her cosmetics bags/press and see what's there? And if you are getting her eye make up or foundation or something and remember to check each product you are going to get so you know which colours to get.

What about a new camera? Maybe a weekend away for the two (or three?) of you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

As you've mentioned her eye make-up is running out, maybe think about getting her the Naked Palette by Urban Decay. The girls on the beauty forum rave about it. I hope I've dropped enough hints to get one form the OH! Although, if she has senstive skin, it might irritate her eyes.

Also someone else mentioned a hamper of favourite things - I think it's a great idea. You could get her a DVD of her favourite film/tv show, box of choccies, bottle of bubbly (or one of those little bottles), bath bomb from Lush, cosy pair of slippers, face mask, nice silk pyamas and maybe take your little one out some evening / saturday afternoon to give your wife some time to relax and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

What about a decent pair of boots? Most ladies love footwear and boots can be sooo expensive it would be nice to have a frivolous bought as a gift. The kindle sounds good but I would leave the sushi set and buy it for her again for no reason. Handbags always go down well too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Daisy M wrote: »
    Handbags always go down well too!

How does your average male (me) know what an acceptable handbag looks like ? I'd be afraid that one I thought was acceptable wouldn't be liked at all.

Given limited budget this excludes Gucci, Prada etc so what should I look out for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

My man always gets me something amazing (except once) and not usually jewellery, although he has done but only on a couple of occasions cos I have no jewellery really.

Last year for my birthday he bought me the most fabulous pair of Karen Millen shoes from BT's. I loved them so much I wore them out.
    He has also gotten me beautiful coats on other occassions.

OP - would you consider buying her a pair of Uggs or even a handbag or something she would wear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

If she loves reading then she'll love a Kindle, another plus with them is that you can email documents or pdfs etc directly to them, makes it really handy for keeping recipes at hand in the kitchen etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

chughes wrote: »
    How does your average male (me) know what an acceptable handbag looks like ? I'd be afraid that one I thought was acceptable wouldn't be liked at all.

Given limited budget this excludes Gucci, Prada etc so what should I look out for ?
    Marks and spencers do lovely bags as does tkmaax, next, and debenhams to name but a few. If your gf/wife has a winter coat in a particular colour you could try and get a bag that would compliment which would have a little of the same colour in it. Otherwise you wont go too far wrong with a black, brown or petrol blue/navy bag. Large bags are popular shiney is in so is matt. Have a flick through some mags see what the "celebs" are wearing and you will easily find cheaper versions in any department store.
    Going to show this advice to my husband this eve:D.

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    My man always gets me something amazing (except once) and not usually jewellery, although he has done but only on a couple of occasions cos I have no jewellery really.

Last year for my birthday he bought me the most fabulous pair of Karen Millen shoes from BT's. I loved them so much I wore them out.
    He has also gotten me beautiful coats on other occassions.

OP - would you consider buying her a pair of Uggs or even a handbag or something she would wear?

He must have a sister and gives her the credit card;)

I am the most unfashionable and uncoordinated man on the planet. I could probably stretch to a handbag but clothes and accessories are well out of my comfort zone. I would need to be hand held and show what to buy.

As you've mentioned her eye make-up is running out, maybe think about getting her the

Just ordered the Naked make up, thanks for the tip it looks like her style.

I also ordered this (lick-able) body powder as I thought it was a good idea:eek:

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?parentCategoryId=59001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=59001&langId=-1&productId=1549541&storeName=Debenhams.ie&storeId=10052

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Just ordered the Naked make up, thanks for the tip it looks like her style.

I also ordered this (lick-able) body powder as I thought it was a good idea:eek:

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?parentCategoryId=59001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=59001&langId=-1&productId=1549541&storeName=Debenhams.ie&storeId=10052

You're getting there, you saucy thing :D

Something else which might be a bit different for a stocking filler are these folding shoes They'd be great if you go to a lot of weddings or events where she would wear high heel shoes and her feet might hurt towards the end of the night. I have a pair and I love them. They fold up so small into their little cover so you can put them in your handbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

What brand of cosmetics does she use normally? Could you have a little look through her cosmetics bags/press and see what's there? And if you are getting her eye make up or foundation or something and remember to check each product you are going to get so you know which colours to get.

I was going to suggest the same!! My husband did this for me a couple of years ago and I still think it is one of the most thoughtful things he ever did. Take the time to write down exactly what products she uses and buy them for her - like someone suggested, create a hamper - or if they are all one brand the counter assistant might be willing to make up the hamper for you.
    The other most thoughtful thing my hubby ever did was to make up a book of our life "so far...." with photos of us since we first met and a little writen piece etc. It barely cost anything but it meant so much.
    My hubby's fab!! :D

bubbaloo wrote: »
    The other most thoughtful thing my hubby ever did was to make up a book of our life "so far...." with photos of us since we first met and a little writen piece etc. It barely cost anything but it meant so much.
    My hubby's fab!! :D

That's an excellent idea! At least that way the gift is unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

Kindle and concert or theatre tickets? Springsteen if they're not all gone, andrea bocelli view on sale 9 am. he is incredible in concert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭quinnie123ie

i think, if you really want to make her happy, buy her an ironing board... women love them...

Advertisement