Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop me buying something that sucks for the misses this year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

i think, if you really want to make her happy, buy her an ironing board... women love them...

:D I did that two years ago, its was the Rolls Royce of ironing boards. Strangley enough it didnt go down to well:(

I think I am almost sorted now, just putting together a load of stuff and sorting photos now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

krissovo wrote: »
    :D I did that two years ago, its was the Rolls Royce of ironing boards. Strangley enough it didnt go down to well:(

It didnt? My EX husband bought me a deep fat fryer one year - that didnt go down too well either! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

bubbaloo wrote: »
    The other most thoughtful thing my hubby ever did was to make up a book of our life "so far...." with photos of us since we first met and a little writen piece etc. It barely cost anything but it meant so much.
    My hubby's fab!! :D

My boyfriend did this too and have to agree, it's incredibly romantic! Well worth considering!

Snapfish.ie have great ideas for personalised gifts as well, have used them loads of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

slarkin123 wrote: »
    My husband bought me a touchpad for my birthday and i was over the moon with it. If she's into gadgets its a good way to go. Isn't the kindle just a reader, im not too sure. Wouldn't it be better to get an ipad or touchpad so she can do more than read on it. My Hubby picked a touchpad for me cause he knows i don't like anything by apple.

When you say touchpad. Is that Like an android tablet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

techyjon wrote: »
    When you say touchpad. Is that Like an android tablet?

HP Touchpad I'd say....and yes it is an android tablet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_TouchPad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

OSI wrote: »
    No, it's not an Android tablet, it's a WebOS tablet, and it's not made anymore.

Fair point, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

me too, me too.. I hate getting vouchers. to me it says "I dont know you very well and I have no idea what you like and anyway I dont give a **** and cant be bothered to even think" I do like the kindle idea. my hubby bought me one last year and I do love it but I think he is dissapointed that I dont use it as much as he thinks I should. I did use it on holidays as that and traveling to work would be good.. but I dont work. I love the idea of a hamper too but to get some ideas try one simple thing. LISTEN any time around now she may be dropping hints.. listen. and if you get a chance to give a trip into town anytime soon watch out for things she admires.
    best of luck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Everybody realizes that the OP started this thread a year ago, which means he prob got her something for Christmas last year, :P

Which now begs the question, OP what did you get her for Christmas and how did it go down? Did she like her presents? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Glad to see this thread back, I have the same problem again this year:eek:

Despite all my effort last year my misses didnt really like my pressents last Christmas.

The kindle I got was not opened for 3 months, I actually opened it and used it when traveling with work. Come summer she tried her kindle (which was mine by then) and loved it! So much so I got her a new one.

The Naked eye stuff went down ok, and the rest of stuff is in a cupboard not used:mad:

I am actually thinking of giving up this year and going back to vouchers, she hates everything unless she buys it herself. I may get some small things but I am sick of looking at the disappointed face on her each year.

All I can think of this year is a quality 3 seasons jacket by the North Face or Berghaus but I already know she will hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Despite all my effort last year my misses didnt really like my pressents last Christmas.

The kindle I got was not opened for 3 months, I actually opened it and used it when traveling with work. Come summer she tried her kindle (which was mine by then) and loved it! So much so I got her a new one.

The Naked eye stuff went down ok, and the rest of stuff is in a cupboard not used:mad:

I am actually thinking of giving up this year and going back to vouchers, she hates everything unless she buys it herself. I may get some small things but I am sick of looking at the disappointed face on her each year.

All I can think of this year is a quality 3 seasons jacket by the North Face or Berghaus but I already know she will hate it.

Hilarious. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

OP have you ever asked your wife what she would like?
    get her to put together a list of stuff shed be happy to get for you to choose from?

Or even go shopping with her for stuff but then don't give it to her till Xmas - takes away the surprise element but at least shed be happy!

Sounds like thats the only way to avoid disappointment!!!

PS. She sounds mega hard work :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

To be honest, I know there is nothing worse than trying to look enthusiastic about a present you hate but is she for real like? I think she could do with helping you out a bit in fairness, it's not like your not putting the effort in, you are.

Does she not drop hints or can you not ask her straight out what she would like? It's what works best in our house, ask and you shall receive, stress and disappointment are eliminated and everyone can look forward to getting something they want. Sorted :D

Otherwise she is just trying to be hardwork!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my husband bought we a weather station last christmas and i love it :-)

he is getting me a kindle fire this year

have you asked her what she would like?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

She sounds really ungrateful. No matter what you get her, she's not happy. You'll have to ask her what she wants (but asking's probably not good enough).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sat Nav? Good camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Do they still do those Taz slippers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

How about printing off this thread and framing it as a gift for her ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Now now, let's keep within the Christmas spirit please guys & gals :)

Helpful suggestions only please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Jesus, had a girl kinda like this before, never happy with anything I got her, always moaned and always had a look of disgust on her face no matter what it was, just anything to find something bad about it, even when it was something she asked for. I Just dreaded every special day when gifts would be exchanged.

Actually tore me up inside cause it made me feel like absolute crap every time :( And I wouldn't mind but the things she used to get me where soooooo **** and stingy but I just always said thank you with a big smile.

I never know what to get now a days, just ask I think is easiest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

If she hasn't used the presents you got her last time and you're still under pressure then why not get her something that isn't a physical present i.e. book a weekend away somewhere for the two of you.

It doesn't have to be abroad you could pick up a good deal on an Irish country hotel/spa etc. She could get a couple of spa treatments then and if you booked for January the rates would be cheaper and you'd have a nice little break to get over the post chirstmas-January blues!

Alternatively I would just ask her what she wants, there's no point wasting money on something she isn't going to appreciate and you feeling dis-heartened yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

tigerblob wrote: »
    She sounds really ungrateful. No matter what you get her, she's not happy. You'll have to ask her what she wants (but asking's probably not good enough).
    Dead right..
    Its about the thought rather than the gift surely..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

For my birthday, 3 years ago, my other half got me one of those little notepad laptops. It's the best thing ever! I can read all the newspapers, play games with friends on facebook, go on Boards.ie and other forums, etc. It's got skype, so I can keep in touch with my kids..... I could go on and on, just to say it's fantastic and I found the receipt, it cost €250. It's a bit basic, I suppose, but I love it! Personally I hate vouchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    For my birthday, 3 years ago, my other half got me one of those little notepad laptops. It's the best thing ever! I can read all the newspapers, play games with friends on facebook, go on Boards.ie and other forums, etc. It's got skype, so I can keep in touch with my kids..... I could go on and on, just to say it's fantastic and I found the receipt, it cost €250. It's a bit basic, I suppose, but I love it! Personally I hate vouchers.

Are you my mum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Jogathon wrote: »
    Are you my mum?

She said other half, Jesus we should hope not :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmm i think a decant jacket by the North Face would be great if you were into the brand or just trecking or something.. Have to say himself always gets me loverly pressies, just small bits and bobs but they are the job.. Like i got the Anastasia music box last year fecking love it, dont turn it on all the time but i still love it.. Always think just go with what you feel is right, pay attention over the year and take notes of what she would like. And then woman (not that i do this) do not go out over the christmas and spoil his great plan by buying all these things you have suggested to him for yourself... Dust buster also is one of the best presents i ever got, love it never put it down you could call it an addiction...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kalinda

How about a digital photo frame - one of the bigger ones. My mam has a smaller one, it catches my eye each time and I have to look at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have to agree that she sounds like hard work. I know it can be hard to look enthusiastic when you don’t like a gift, but you have bought her a wide selection of items and she doesn’t seem to appreciate any of them. Sounds like she really isn’t getting into the spirit of gift giving (and receiving). I think sometimes people expect the most amazing, thoughtful gifts, but the reality is, when you have been together a fair bit of time it gets really hard to think of thoughtful, original gifts.

My husband is really good at buying gifts, he has bought me lovely coats, clothes, handbags, watches etc in the past, but I know he is really struggling with a gift this year, because no matter how hard he tries, he will be duplicating a previous gift and there is really nothing I need! In previous years, we have always spent way over our budget and bought each other much more than we need.

So this year, we have cut the budget massively to no more than €100, and I will probably give him a list of 5/10 things that I would like. That way, he has a rough guide, but I still get the element of surprise. I will probably put kind of boring things, like a pair of boots etc. I know it’s not a grand romantic gesture, but it’s practical and there’s only so many bottles of smellies, makeup, handbags etc you can use!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I told my fiance the biggest present he can give me is not to put me under pressure to think up his ideal gift without his help and suggestion to me, and vice versa, that was 4 years ago and since then we swap lists of possible gifts..we don't give each other everything on the list obviously, one or two things and a small surprise maybe, last year we didn't even do gifts for each other until after Christmas. I have enough to be stressed about without my best friend adding to it, and again, I wouldn't like to add to his. This is most definitely a first world problem. Ask her what she wants, or get her nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 njr1983

For last year's xmas pressie to my girlfriend, I got her one of those personalised calendars for 2012 from vistaprint, with pictures of us on nights out and vacation. The calendar cost about €15.
    Now before you say that it was the stingiest xmas gift ever...I also booked a pair of tickets to a few comedy gigs in various locations around the country throughout the year - Gift Grub (Jan/Feb in Mayo), Dara O'Briain (July in Dublin), Michael McIntyre (October in Belfast). Then on the calendar I highlighted the dates the gigs were on, and selotaped a picture of the comedian onto the page.
    So I gave her the calendar, and she was probably thinking it was a stingy pressie at first, but as she started to flick through the calendar at the photos, she saw that I was also treating her to all the gigs (and I paid for the hotels too).
    It was a pretty expensive gift all in all, but the beauty is that you don't have to pay for everything all at once. You can usually leave hotels to the last minute.
    She loved the pressie, and even her family and friends commented on how good a present it was. The present keep giving for as long as the gigs were on for, so even up until last month she was still thanking me for her xmas pressie.
    Now I'm under pressure to come up with something as good this year!

Advertisement