Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect xbox to eircom wireless modem?

Options
  • 27-11-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Getting eircom broadband later this week and want to hook it up to xbox to do a bit of online gaming.I'm new to all this so what exactly do I need to do?My xbox is in another room so I would prefer to connect wirelessly,do I have to get the wireless adapter?They're €60 in argos!!!Is there a cheaper,easier way to connect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

What type of xbox do you have? If it's the newest black slim model you won't need the wireless extender. If it's the older type you will.

In the xbox settings just search for your ssid (it's the name of the wireless signal on the router). And then connect to that. You will be asked for a key (which you can either set up or it will be the default one written on the router itself). And that's it! You'll need xbox gold if you want to game online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

chin grin-its the older white one,have it over 2 years but never gamed online!So I presume I'll need the adapter?do i need anything else?Is there cheaper alternatives or do I have to get the official microsoft one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

toby2111 wrote: »
    chin grin-its the older white one,have it over 2 years but never gamed online!So I presume I'll need the adapter?do i need anything else?Is there cheaper alternatives or do I have to get the official microsoft one?

Yeah you'll need this.

Although shop around both in the stores and online to see if you can get any deals. I'm sure there are third party versions.

If you want to game online you'll need an Xbox Gold Account. Don't buy direct from M$. I'd recommend this site. http://www.live-codes.com/products.php?con=Xbox (12 month membership).

Ok,thanks.On adverts.ie there's white adapters with only 1 antenna,not 2.Are they suitable?Seem to be going for around €30

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

Ok,thanks.On adverts.ie there's white adapters with only 1 antenna,not 2.Are they suitable?Seem to be going for around €30

Yes they are...

• Advertisement

Can I use a generic,cheaper wireless adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

Not that i know of, i tried a few myself and they didnt work, but thats not to say that there is not a way around it, i'm sure someone else will know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I got an adapter of the Datel brand in argos for 52 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eskoflip

I would highly recomend against the white network adaptor. It's not reliable at all. The black one was produced for a reaon, it works properly. I know it's expensive but if you dont want to be disconnected from XBL near the end of a gane where you've ranked up a lot of xp, I'd go for the black one. Or, if your xbox isn't too far away from your modem, you could just use ethernet cable, a lot cheaper.

Is the white one really that bad?Was gonna pick one up later this week but might hold off now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Is the white one really that bad?Was gonna pick one up later this week but might hold off now

Why not just get a 10m cat5 cable going to your router to the Xbox the quality will be much better and the cable is cheaper.

Advertisement