Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for some recommendations...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Miguel_Angel

Well, I would say that in Fantasy, you might want to read:

- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clark
    It is a very good book even though you have to submerge in a world where people talk in a different way than nowadays, the writer uses a lot of archaisms in English and, for me, as Spanish, it caused some headaches :), but I suppose that for you will be fine.

The book wants you to be a very active part of itself, and sometimes you will be looking for references in different books or just on Google.

So, as for Sci - Fi:

- The Old Man's War Series - John Scalzi
    * Old Man's War
    * The Ghost Brigades
    * The Last Colony
    * Zoe's Tale

Very well written, direct, explicit, a really good Space - Opera which talks about life, death, battles, fun, love, etc..
    This series has some of the most important U-Turns I have seen in a Space - Opera (besides the Vorkosigan Series).

Ambience is fantastic, some theories could be true in a couple of years (whilst other are impossible) and the different races in the plot are A1.

These are my recommendations :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Tym wrote: »
    I think Lord of the Ring's is okay. The male characters are very, very good but the female characters are pretty awful. And the plot is awesome, but there's a few things off with the pacing and various other things.

Some would argue that the problems are because the book came from a different generation, but that doesn't mean that we should ignore them and say that it has to stay the best book for all time.

I find it strange that some people think that a medieval world should have the same gender equality as our modern, technological society.

If you look at actual european history from about 500ad to 1300ad which is about the same in terms of technology to what is seen in the Lord of the Rings, women are hardly mentioned at all and certainly not mentioned in any pivotal battles like Eowyn at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, in those terms, LOTR is ahead of where reality was in terms of females.

As an aside, I think the Lord of the Rings (paired with the Silmarillion) is still the best fantasy series of all time. Not only is the story great but there is a beauty in the way Tolkein uses words that I've not seen in other fantasy books since.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Horses for courses BlaasForRafa, I've known 15 year olds with a better command of the English language than I'd consider Tolkien to have. (Then again, I consider James Joyce's writing to be verbose drivel too and most professors of English drool over his writing).

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

The best book of 2011, without a shadow of a doubt has to be Brandon Sandersons "Way of Kings" quite possibly the best book I've read, incredible.

ALso, the Malazan books by Steven Erickson and Ian C Esslemont, truly class, have read them all about 3 times and will go back and read them all again. Good thing is that at least there is closure.

The Wheel of time is alright but can be painful to read at times, I actually think they've gotten better since Sanderson took over.

James Barclay's raven series is good, an easy and enjoyable read. Also, you can't go far wrong with David Gemmil, his Troy series is pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Trankton wrote: »
    The best book of 2011, without a shadow of a doubt has to be Brandon Sandersons "Way of Kings" quite possibly the best book I've read, incredible.

ALso, the Malazan books by Steven Erickson and Ian C Esslemont, truly class, have read them all about 3 times and will go back and read them all again. Good thing is that at least there is closure.

The Wheel of time is alright but can be painful to read at times, I actually think they've gotten better since Sanderson took over.

James Barclay's raven series is good, an easy and enjoyable read. Also, you can't go far wrong with David Gemmil, his Troy series is pure class.

Glad to hear that since i've "The Way of Kings" lined up after I finish "The Name of the Wind". Have read great reviews about it too. Got to the end of book 2 of Malazan before I just had to take a break. Not that I didn't enjoy them, but they really make your head hurt trying to keep track of everyone and everything. I hear the third one "Memories of Ice" is excellent, one of the best or so I read somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

gufnork wrote: »
    Glad to hear that since i've "The Way of Kings" lined up after I finish "The Name of the Wind". Have read great reviews about it too. Got to the end of book 2 of Malazan before I just had to take a break. Not that I didn't enjoy them, but they really make your head hurt trying to keep track of everyone and everything. I hear the third one "Memories of Ice" is excellent, one of the best or so I read somewhere.

Way of Kings = excellent
    The Name of the Wind = even more excellence
    Memories of Ice = again with the excellence

The only way your post could have been more full of excellence , is if you had of mentioned Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Some great books ahead of you. I'm jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

astonaidan wrote: »
    I think the fact that no one mentioned LOTR is criminal, Ye all should be ashamed, Anyone who calls them a Fantasy fan must read this:mad:

OP here, and I did mention LOTR in my first post, but I mentioned it as the reason why I was turned off the fantasy genre for a long while. For me, it was one case where the movies were a lot better than the books, but that's because I found the extremely long descriptive passages to be tortuous. I prefer books that have a good strong story, with a plot that moves on at a good pace, rather than drags like LOTR did for me.

mariebeth wrote: »
    OP here, and I did mention LOTR in my first post, but I mentioned it as the reason why I was turned off the fantasy genre for a long while. For me, it was one case where the movies were a lot better than the books, but that's because I found the extremely long descriptive passages to be tortuous. I prefer books that have a good strong story, with a plot that moves on at a good pace, rather than drags like LOTR did for me.

Wll OP if you found LOTR's to have 'extremely long descriptive passages' then I'd avoid Wheel of Time at all costs, as much as I like them there is an awful lot of drivel. Also, the malazan books can hurt your brain, but I absolutely love them.

James Barclay has some really good books, The Raven series is fairly fast and furious. Also, David Gemmils books are brilliant, legend (his fist book) is non-stop.

Another brilliant trilogy is The Night Angel trilogy from Brent Weeks.

But I'm still sticking with "The Way of Kings' as the one to go for.

Don't for to wheel of time but go for way of kings. Very similiar books and Way of Kings is unlike other sanderson books. It's nearly 1000 pages.

The Dresden series by Jim Butcher is a light and easy read with some excellent action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lablanc

You got to read Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" series, proper grown up fantasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Sorry to jump in, I've jut started WoT myself and have seen at least 4 negative opinions about it being over descriptive drivel? Isn't fantasy suppose to have excessive descriptions of the world and characters and behaviours so you can realyl truly feel immersed and that this world actually exists?

Won't change my mind from reading it but I'm enjoying it so far. Especially the description of Thomdril Merrilin gleeman's cloak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Sorry to jump in, I've jut started WoT myself and have seen at least 4 negative opinions about it being over descriptive drivel? Isn't fantasy suppose to have excessive descriptions of the world and characters and behaviours so you can realyl truly feel immersed and that this world actually exists?

Won't change my mind from reading it but I'm enjoying it so far. Especially the description of Thomdril Merrilin gleeman's cloak.

Oh it's fine at the start but in later books it just does your (well, mine) head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I got to book 7of wheel of time and gave up, I found it boring, ponderous,way too long and drawn out and in dire need of a massive edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Yea general concensus is the first 6 books or so of WoT are very good but after that the pace grinds to a halt almost and it becomes a chore to read, which is a pity as its a great story. I haven't read the latest boks yet as I want them finished but I have high hopes for Sanderson rescuing the series as he's a fantastic writer. </p>
    Jumping into the LOTR argument, I don't rate Tolkien as a great writer at all. He's long winded and his language is unappealing to me. He is the forefather of fantasy but there are so many more mention-worthy authors out there today that he is far over shadowed by todays talent. The Beetles may have created rock and roll but their still shyte!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Way of Kings = excellent
    The Name of the Wind = even more excellence
    Memories of Ice = again with the excellence

The only way your post could have been more full of excellence , is if you had of mentioned Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Some great books ahead of you. I'm jealous.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, damn. That's another one to add to the list then. I'm gonna have to consider taking a weeks holiday to make a dent in my to-read pile.

Hey wait now... a read-a-thon, now there's an idea ;)

The Lies of Locke Lamora, damn. That's another one to add to the list then. I'm gonna have to consider taking a weeks holiday to make a dent in my to-read pile.

Hey wait now... a read-a-thon, now there's an idea ;)

A weeks holidays might just get you through Way of Kings. To get them all done you might have to consider maternity/paternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I want to start the way of kings but the next is not scheduled until 2013 and it's supposed to be a 10 parter. Hate having to read and wait on the next. Starting on the book 1 release of saga of the seven suns and subsequent 6 years waiting for each book nearly killed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'd give Philip pulmans "dark materials" trillogy a shot OP, starting with the golden compass. Though the third book is the weakest, its still a great story and well told IMO.

I'd also recommended mistborn, it's fantastic (but I have only read the first, I heard the series goes badly downhill after that, no?).

Anything by Neil gaiman is excellent, read them all. Maybe read his collaboration with Terry Pratchett "good omens" as a light introduction to him.

I was never really amazed by Joe abercrombie, I read the first law series and it just felt like something was missing, though I don't know what. David gemell books on the other hand, are excellent, and once again easy to read and very engaging.

I want to start the way of kings but the next is not scheduled until 2013 and it's supposed to be a 10 parter. Hate having to read and wait on the next. Starting on the book 1 release of saga of the seven suns and subsequent 6 years waiting for each book nearly killed me.

Should also keep in mind that Sanderson has said that he will be working on other projects like his future Mistborn trilogies and that he wont be focusing on Stormlight Archive alone.
    I think he said it will be a book every 2-3. So looking at 20-30 for the series to be finished :eek:
    Fingers crossed I even last that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah its the first thing i read on the alloy of law. Very tempted to do a rip van winkle, sleep for 20 years, wake up and catch up.

• Advertisement

Just finished Orb Scepter Throne...for any fans of the malazan books you should get your hands on it, it's class. Esslemont just getting better and better.

...I'd also recommended mistborn, it's fantastic (but I have only read the first, I heard the series goes badly downhill after that, no?).

I know there are a lot of reviews that would seem to agree but I would highly recommend continuing with them. I actually enjoyed the second one more than the first, and I really loved the first one too, so I would encourage you to carry on regardless.

I would recommend The Name of the Wind, but find myself swinging wildly between 'My god this is amazing' and 'What the hell is he rambling about now?'. I'm also not overly convinced at the originality of it this far(80% in). I'd definitely have preferred to have read it as it happened rather than looking back over a man's life like that.

Having said that, the good bits are very good and definitely outweigh the bad/not-so-good bits.

Think i'd still have to recommend it, although i'm not so sure now if i'll be going onto the second one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I'd also recommended mistborn, it's fantastic (but I have only read the first, I heard the series goes badly downhill after that, no?).

I'd completely disagree ... if anything the books get better. I loved every second of book 2 and 3!

..Brian.. wrote: »

I'd completely disagree ... if anything the books get better. I loved every second of book 2 and 3!

I agree. Haven't read the 3rd yet but the 2nd is better than the 1st as far as I'm concerned.

Think I'm repeating myself now. That's what posting from a phone does for ya ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

I would recommend The Name of the Wind, but find myself swinging wildly between 'My god this is amazing' and 'What the hell is he rambling about now?'. I'm also not overly convinced at the originality of it this far(80% in). I'd definitely have preferred to have read it as it happened rather than looking back over a man's life like that.

It was a nice read in places, mainly the first few chapters as it held a bit of mystery and intrigue. I won't be reading the second book either as it becomes Cliched , predictable, with an unlikeable main character . The villain and arch nemisis
    to the main character (who is perfect at everything he does, including the magical arts which he learned at Harry potters university) is a rich kid who works in a library!
    , and all the secondary characters are completely one dimensional cardboard cut outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I know there are a lot of reviews that would seem to agree but I would highly recommend continuing with them. I actually enjoyed the second one more than the first, and I really loved the first one too, so I would encourage you to carry on regardless.
    ..Brian.. wrote: »

I had to search to find this thread, but just want to say a big thank you for telling me not to give up on them! I recently finished the series after getting quite disheartened midway during the second book. However I gave them proper attention, and my god! the 3rd one was absolutely incredible, I was genuinely blown away by then end of it!

I'm thinking of getting into Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy now unless someone else had a better recommendation?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm thinking of getting into Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy now unless someone else had a better recommendation?
    Well if you want something better, I'd recommend eating shredded glass. It'd be easier to swallow than the idea that the Night Angel trilogy is worth reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ixoy wrote: »
    Well if you want something better, I'd recommend eating shredded glass. It'd be easier to swallow than the idea that the Night Angel trilogy is worth reading.

Ah now, it's not great, but it's not *that* bad.

Mind you, I do believe there's a pattern here:

The+Night+Angel+Trilogy.jpg
    KingmakerKingbreaker.jpg
    Black+Magician+Trilogy.JPG

None of which I'd recommend.

Advertisement