Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C64 Ultimate - anyone got one?

• 27-11-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey Retro Freaks,

Just ordered one of these babies, hope to get it before Xmas,

http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php

Any of ye have one? I cant wait now to get my hands on this. Nothing like playing games on the orginal hardware :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

djsim101 wrote: »
    Hey Retro Freaks,

Any of ye have one? I cant wait now to get my hands on this. Nothing like playing games on the orginal hardware :pac:

Hehe, i only ordered one myself 2 days ago.

The only other user to mention anything about the 1541 ultimate is this user:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65469899&postcount=40

Might be worth sending a PM to see how they found it

I didn't find this thread when I searched as you called it the c64 ultimate!

Can't wait to get my hands on it too, but I wouldn't be too hopeful about getting it before Christmas

I paid the little extra for TNT shipping just to increase the chances a little.

djsim101 wrote: »
    Hey Retro Freaks,

Oh and btw, just want to make sure,

when you say you've ordered, have you sent the money also?

(Just in case you pre-ordered without paying, and were waiting on an e-mail telling you when to pay. The ordering process is a bit confusing!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Ohhh I have both pre ordered and paid up.

Cant wait for it. Looks like a great piece of equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

So did you receive the items yet? Would you recommend buying one? Interested in getting one, but the ordering process seems like too much work.

cheers

So did you receive the items yet? Would you recommend buying one? Interested in getting one, but the ordering process seems like too much work.

cheers

It is a bit of work all right, but I can explain it to you if you like.

We didn't receive them yet as we're waiting on the next batch to be completed and shipped.

The whole thing is handled by just one person, the creator, who has to test each one individually, make a slight modification to the case of the cart to make it fit etc...

So you basically have to be patient and wait, as there's no set date for them to be shipped, which is totally understandable given the amount of work involved.

Edit: He said that we'll be e-mailed an estimated shipping date when all payments have been processed.

Feck it I might even do a video review when I get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

waveform wrote: »
    It is a bit of work all right, but I can explain it to you if you like.

We didn't receive them yet as we're waiting on the next batch to be completed and shipped.

The whole thing is handled by just one person, the creator, who has to test each one individually, make a slight modification to the case of the cart to make it fit etc...

So you basically have to be patient and wait, as there's no set date for them to be shipped, which is totally understandable given the amount of work involved.

Edit: He said that we'll be e-mailed an estimated shipping date when all payments have been processed.

Feck it I might even do a video review when I get one.

Am I right in saying you have paid for the goods but then have to wait weeks or months for it to arrive? € 129 is a bit steep when you have to wait so long. It does look like a great device though, so I would be tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

It is expensive in fairness, but I suppose you have to look at it from both side. Having nearly every game (well, good game) on one piece of Hardware and to play them on a orginal C64, is going to be brill.

I know we have em all on emulators, but heck, it is just is not the same :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I own two similar devices for 8-bit Atari. One is a flash cart programable from Atari second one takes compact flash cart.

All them constructors take pre-orders and payment upfront. They are hobbyists, working in their free time, investing their own money in prototypes. They don't have budgets etc.

For both of my carts I paid around 2 months before receiving the items, one have to accept the rules of this game.
    Like djsim101 said it's briliant to have all games on one device and even more brilliant that there are folks out there still working on add-ons for our great machines!

And if you pay and later on you are fed up of waiting,

Gideon will gladly cancel your order and refund you the money if you like.

The 1541 Disk Drive is an absolute bitch to emulate,
    because it actually had a processor inside it,
    which was used to help load the games faster,

And since most of the c64 games you download use a fast loader,
    the 1541 u is pretty much the only solution that will play them all.

FPGA chips are expensive but allow for far more accurate emulation,
    hency the hefty price tag, but they're essential for a device like this.

When you compare it to the Chameleon cartridge which is €200,
    (which isn't half as compatible) then it seems worth it:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_chameleon.htm

The only things that chameleon has to offer over the 1541U,
    is that has a VGA output so you can hook it upto a computer monitor,
    and a built in Amiga Emulator.

Advertisement