Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game - Movies ? ? ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Resident EVil films are fun, they are the best examples of competently made videogame films which don't take themselves too seriously and which entertaining to watch.

How could you possibly like them, they're full of Americans for a start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Resident EVil films are fun, they are the best examples of competently made videogame films which don't take themselves too seriously and which entertaining to watch.

The Wizard beats every Resident Evil film to death with a Power Glove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

EnterNow wrote: »
    How could you possibly like them, they're full of Americans for a start...

Three reasons

1. Milla Jovovich
    2. Zombies
    3. Explosions

Master of the Universe

Three reasons

1. Milla Jovovich
    2. Zombies
    3. Explosions

You are forgetting -

1. Crap films
    2. Crap films
    3. Crap films

:p

o1s1n wrote: »
    You are forgetting -

1. Crap films
    2. Crap films
    3. Crap films

:p

No, those elements are the making of awesome!

AwesomefilmsAwesomefilmsAwesomefilms

No, those elements are the making of awesome!

AwesomefilmsAwesomefilmsAwesomefilms

In fairness, the films could have been so much better. They were an oppurtunity wasted.

Resident Evil 1 didn't need much work to make it suitable for the big screen. All the elements were there, mystery, suspense, horror, intrigue, the mansion....& what did we get? All of those elements were discarded & in their place a Hollywood orgy of utter bollox

In fairness, the films could have been so much better. They were an oppurtunity wasted.

Resident Evil 1 didn't need much work to make it suitable for the big screen. All the elements were there, mystery, suspense, horror, intrigue, the mansion....& what did we get? All of those elements were discarded & in their place a Hollywood orgy of utter bollox

Res Evil 1 was a bit boring and the pacing was crap but Res 2 was Hell Yeah! An explosion for every scene, how can you beat that? Cheesy dialogue, fast paced action, chainguns...it was full of win. Res Evil 3 didn't change the formula and was also good. What's not to like?

For anyone with rose tinted glasses about Res Evil 1.

Even when I was playing these as a kid I picked up on the extreme cheesiness in this game which was great at the time and still is. The films are just staying true to the spirit of the games.

Res Evil 1 was a bit boring and the pacing was crap but Res 2 was Hell Yeah! An explosion for every scene, how can you beat that? Cheesy dialogue, fast paced action, chainguns...it was full of win. Res Evil 3 didn't change the formula and was also good. What's not to like?

Because when a film is filled with those things it tends to be mindless feces, only appealing to Louisiana residents.
    For anyone with rose tinted glasses about Res Evil 1.

Even when I was playing these as a kid I picked up on the extreme cheesiness in this game which was great at the time and still is. The films are just staying true to the spirit of the games.

It certainly had cheesy voice acting & dialogue, no disputing that. That's why I said it didn't need 'much' work to adapt it for the big screen. The game had abundant atmosphere & class in a lot of other ways too, which didn't carry over into the films.

Chain guns & explosions have a place in Resident Evil, but so does atmosphere, horror, & story...the films only took the aforementioned.

Because when a film is filled with those things it tends to be mindless feces, only appealing to Louisiana residents.

It certainly had cheesy voice acting & dialogue, no disputing that. That's why I said it didn't need 'much' work to adapt it for the big screen. The game had abundant atmosphere & class in a lot of other ways too, which didn't carry over into the films.

Chain guns & explosions have a place in Resident Evil, but so does atmosphere, horror, & story...the films only took the aforementioned.

Why does every film need to be serious/dark/intellectual? Sure I like intellectual films but I also like mindless entertainment when its done right and Res Evil meets that criteria. So the films didn't incorporate the tension and atmosphere of the games which were attributable to weird camera angles, an excellent soundtrack and the fact that it was interactive, why should it matter when they work perfectly well as action movies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Oddly Last Starfighter was made into a game on the NES... but it was actually a pretty poor conversion of Uridium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why does every film need to be serious/dark/intellectual? Sure I like intellectual films but I also like mindless entertainment when its done right and Res Evil meets that criteria. So the films didn't incorporate the tension and atmosphere of the games which were attributable to weird camera angles, an excellent soundtrack and the fact that it was interactive, why should it matter when they work perfectly well as action movies?

Mindless entertainment is all well and good but the Resident Evil films only cover the mindless part. I like my dumb action films as well but **** action films are still ****.

Problem with the Resident Evil movies is that they didn't bother looking to the movies that actually influenced the game itself.

Look at how good the Dawn of the Dead remake was which came out around the same time as the first movie, they should have been making something along those lines.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mindless entertainment is all well and good but the Resident Evil films only cover the mindless part. I like my dumb action films as well but **** action films are still ****.

But they aren't sh1t, except the first one. They're competently made fare imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Die Hard = Mindless entertainment

Resident Evil films = Mindless ****

Die Hard = Mindless entertainment

Resident Evil films = Mindless ****

Die Hard=art in motion, not mindless entertainment. Die Hard is a masterpiece, the cinematic equivalent of a Da Vinci, not mindless entertainment. It engages the mind as one marvels at the mastery of its execution.

Resident Evil isn't in the same league but is entertaining as there are explosion in every second scene, Monsters with chainguns that say "Stttaarrrzzzz" and stuff. Resident Evil films are entertaining and mindless.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I guess if you think Die Hard is art in motion then the Resident Evil films are going to be your mindless entertainment :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But they aren't sh1t, except the first one. They're competently made fare imo.

You use competent as if its a compliment!

Never accept mediocrity. If you want mindless trash, watch the good mindless trash out there, there's plenty of it.

But honestly on every basic storytelling level Resi 1 (I haven't been arsed with the rest) fails. It almost completely disregards its source material, and became a bland, pointless action film in the process.

Yes, 75% of the time I'll end up watching some arthouse / independent / foreign language movie, because I'm a snob and life's too short to settle for ****. But that 25% when I just want to switch my brain off? I can find infinitely better films than Resident Evil.

You use competent as if its a compliment!

Never accept mediocrity. If you want mindless trash, watch the good mindless trash out there, there's plenty of it.

But honestly on every basic storytelling level Resi 1 (I haven't been arsed with the rest) fails. It almost completely disregards its source material, and became a bland, pointless action film in the process.

Yes, 75% of the time I'll end up watching some arthouse / independent / foreign language movie, because I'm a snob and life's too short to settle for ****. But that 25% when I just want to switch my brain off? I can find infinitely better films than Resident Evil.

Yes but its got Milla Jovovich in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes but its got Milla Jovovich in it

Here you go.

I just saved you having to watch four crappy films.

I must admit a weird sort of admiration (or is that disdain? I'm not entirely sure) for your proud confidence in your shall we say 'questionable' taste.

Here you go.

I just saved you having to watch four crappy films.

I must admit a weird sort of admiration (or is that disdain? I'm not entirely sure) for your proud confidence in your shall we say 'questionable' taste.

But it has explosions and Milla Jovovich with zombies, these reasons are why the franchise is good, google alone isn't enough. Competent means well made in my book.

• Advertisement

There's better looking women out there than Milla Jovovich. Better looking women who can act and aren't in **** films. Women that don't look like the pictures in my junior cert history books in the famine section. That woman needs a few steaks.

I never said every film has to be like that, but when the source material already has them, its beyond foolish to disregard them. They don't work perfectly well as action movies either, I find them intensly boring & not engaging in the slightest.
    But it has explosions and Milla Jovovich with zombies, these reasons are why the franchise is good, google alone isn't enough. Competent means well made in my book.

There are many, many movies with hot girls, explosions & zombies...I take it then they all qualify as good movies? Me thinks your looking for a reaction at this point :)

Your book is also wrong. Competent means just about making the grade, & those films sadly don't. Die Hard is the perfect example of a solid nuts n bolts action film, the resi's don't hold a candle to it. Oh, no zombies either :p

I never said every film has to be like that, but when the source material already has them, its beyond foolish to disregard them. They don't work perfectly well as action movies either, I find them intensly boring & not engaging in the slightest.

There are many, many movies with hot girls, explosions & zombies...I take it then they all qualify as good movies? Me thinks your looking for a reaction at this point :)

Your book is also wrong. Competent means just about making the grade, & those films sadly don't. Die Hard is the perfect example of a solid nuts n bolts action film, the resi's don't hold a candle to it. Oh, no zombies either :p

Yes but so what, that's your opinion, the films work well, but you don't happen to see that, I do. Competent means making the grade, a C+ or B-, ergo good but not great. Die Hard wasn't a nuts and bolts film, it was action ballet, it was artful, graceful even in its action and violence.

As for MJ, what?!!!?!?!

Die Hard artful? I really like the film and all but you can **** right off with that nonsense.

Watch Seven Samurai, 13 Assassins or Yojimbo/Sanjuro if you want poetic action cinema.

Die Hard is simply dumb fun, and if you think its one of cinemas most rewarding achievements you have either not watched enough films or you have questionable taste. Im betting a bit of both.

Im just feeding the troll but **** it. It hurts my brain seeing someone parade ignorance as opinion.

And back on topic, Resident Evil is still junk. And this is on a purely objective level. It sums up the problem with game movies perfectly: ignoring the source material and slapping an established brand name on a **** action film. Imagine the same happened with a novel.

Die Hard artful? I really like the film and all but you can **** right off with that nonsense.

Watch Seven Samurai, 13 Assassins or Yojimbo/Sanjuro if you want poetic action cinema.

Die Hard is simply dumb fun, and if you think its one of cinemas most rewarding achievements you have either not watched enough films or you have questionable taste. Im betting a bit of both.

Im just feeding the troll but **** it. It hurts my brain seeing someone parade ignorance as opinion.

And back on topic, Resident Evil is still junk. And this is on a purely objective level. It sums up the problem with game movies perfectly: ignoring the source material and slapping an established brand name on a **** action film. Imagine the same happened with a novel.

You can't be objective about something subjective, its always your opinion at the end of the day and goes no further than the confines of your mind, hence opinion not fact.

Yes Die Hard is artful. The cinematography, the choreography, the editing, there is certainly art in the execution, film making is an art and Die Hard was an exceptional film, therefore exceptionally artful. No amount of hipster beloved Kurosawa/Foreign film fare is going to change that. Just because I'm championing these films doesn't make me ignorant. Why should I conform to the opinions of people who sit around in circles, the self presumed intellectual glitterati, the tastemakers and so on. Why should I agree with them. I don't! I challenge the establishment, I don't like any of the so called deep films that you're meant to like because if you don't then you're an ignorant intellectual trogladite (see what that is? censoring opinion). I don't like Nolan's Batman, Inception was rubbish, I say these things because I'm not afraid of the intellectual hipster glitterati brigade who all listen to Tool and Mastodon and smell their own farts. I like Resident Evil films, they're good, I'm proud to say this. I also like intellectual films like 2001 or American Psycho, or Pedro Almodovar crap, or films like Barry Lyndon or Oldboy or Fight Club, or 12 Monkeys or whatever, but I also like films that people secretly like but can't admit to themselves like Res Evil and Your Highness (which is a classic, and no one can deny it when they laugh, which they did!).

You can't be objective about something subjective, its always your opinion at the end of the day and goes no further than the confines of your mind, hence opinion not fact.

Yes Die Hard is artful. The cinematography, the choreography, the editing, there is certainly art in the execution, film making is an art and Die Hard was an exceptional film, therefore exceptionally artful. No amount of hipster beloved Kurosawa/Foreign film fare is going to change that. Just because I'm championing these films doesn't make me ignorant. Why should I conform to the opinions of people who sit around in circles, the self presumed intellectual glitterati, the tastemakers and so on. Why should I agree with them. I don't! I challenge the establishment, I don't like any of the so called deep films that you're meant to like because if you don't then you're an ignorant intellectual trogladite (see what that is? censoring opinion). I don't like Nolan's Batman, Inception was rubbish, I say these things because I'm not afraid of the intellectual hipster glitterati brigade who all listen to Tool and Mastodon and smell their own farts. I like Resident Evil films, they're good, I'm proud to say this. I also like intellectual films like 2001 or American Psycho, or Pedro Almodovar crap, or films like Barry Lyndon or Oldboy or Fight Club, or 12 Monkeys or whatever, but I also like films that people secretly like but can't admit to themselves like Res Evil and Your Highness (which is a classic, and no one can deny it when they laugh, which they did!).

I love Guns N Roses, I love Terminator 2, I love guitar rock & have no time for reality tv, no real interest in foreign cinema, jrpg's, rpg's. I love chipper food, hate forced conformity myself & don't wear hipsters. I'm a firm believer in sex, drugs & rock n roll...& I STILL MAINTAIN THE RESIDENT EVIL FILMS ARE SH!TE!

I love Guns N Roses, I love Terminator 2, I love guitar rock & have no time for reality tv, no real interest in foreign cinema, jrpg's, rpg's. I love chipper food, hate forced conformity myself & don't wear hipsters. I'm a firm believer in sex, drugs & rock n roll...& I STILL MAINTAIN THE RESIDENT EVIL FILMS ARE SH!TE!

Well at least you're halfway there, in time you'll like Resident Evil films, in time

Oh darn my secret Kurosawa hipster agenda has been discovered!

Force quit! FORCE QUIT!

Well at least you're halfway there, in time you'll like Resident Evil films, in time

I'm actually starting to thine you DO live in multi dimensional space :p

Master of the Universe

Terminator 2 is American and therefore technically, foreign cinema.

I'm also pretty sure you're fond of a chicken curry. Nothing Irish about that. In fact, one could say it's foreign food.

Damn it dude, of all the people on here, I didn't have you down as a hipster too.

What has the world come to :(

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Terminator 2 is American and therefore technically, foreign cinema.

I'm also pretty sure you're fond of a chicken curry. Nothing Irish about that. In fact, one could say it's foreign food.

Damn it dude, of all the people on here, I didn't have you down as a hipster too.

What has the world come to :(

:D:D Love, herbs, & Coldplay...that's how we roll :p

I'd like to say that Paul WS Anderson is the worst thing to happen to videogame adaptations but then I remember that he nailed the Mortal Kombat film. A schlocky brainless martial arts movie based on a game based on schlocky martial arts movies. I quite enjoyed it. He's since gone on to ruin everything he touches. I weep when I remember Alien vs PRedator :'(

The Silent Hill film wasn't the worst. You had to respect that the fact that they actually made an effort to adapt the game world.

DinoRex wrote: »
    The Silent Hill film wasn't the worst. You had to respect that the fact that they actually made an effort to adapt the game world.

They got the atmosphere and visuals right, the writing on the other hand was terrible. There were a few scenes in the film where the characters found a mcguffin that told them to go to a certain place in silent hill, they get there and then find another mcguffin that leads them to the next destination. There's adapting a videogame faithfully and then there's being stupid and adding something in that only works within a videogame.

It was just a dumb horror film as well, didn't have any of the psychological horror of the games. It was over the top gory, Silent Hill had it's gory moments but it was more about what you didn't see and most of this was in Silent Hill 3 where the gore had a purpose, the entire game was about pregnancy. The film just completely missed the point of the symbolism of everything in the games right down to the tragically misplaced Pyramid Head, they really missed the point there. In silent hill 2 it was a phallic enemy representing the agressive side of the male. It was just fan service in the film. Saying that the western developers in charge of the some of the later games missed the point in a similar way.

Silent Hill wasn't bad but it wasn't great. A real missed oppurtunity because it could have been something really special.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I liked Silent Hill a lot, but then I had just finished Silent Hill 2.
    Die Hard rewrote the action book but then so did Commando and Last Action Hero.
    Stallone had to wait until the last Rambo movie to make a decent one.

The Resi movie are muck, aside, perhaps, for the first one which had that cool laser grid thingy, and that was it.

Your Highness was tragic, yes there were a few laughs but they were very thin on the ground, it reminded me of a more vulgar Men In Tights, another movie that should have been far far better.

The first MK movie was great fun, saw it in the Ambassador when they still showed movies there and it was pretty good for what it was.
    Probably my favourite thing with the words "Mortal Kombat" on it!

And yes Mr Ultimate,
    don-t-feed-the-troll_71697.jpg
    Damn hipster you!

Mr Ultimate, a hipster when it comes to games, movies, and music but most of all Ramen.

Mr Ultimate, a hipster when it comes to games, movies, and music but most of all Ramen.

A bigger Ramen hipster I've never met

Master of the Universe

He even has his own anthem

Fukuoka Ramen for life.

Peace.

• Advertisement

Off topic, but I think I'll try my hand at making Ramen soon. My Katsu curry would have been great if my dad hadn't come along and thrown a load of chilli powder into the pot while I was making it (grr, it's meant to be sweet, not spicy!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ramen is brilliant!
    Especially when you play Quake and eat it at the same time!!!!
    It's, well, DA BOMB, allegedly.
    Well, whatever the hipster equivalent is....

I just made a nice pork stir fry involving noodles, vegetable and lots of Nandos spicy sprinkle stuff....
    It's nice because, for once, I didn't over cook the arse out of it.
    And to keep it relevant to the forum, I bet Pacman would have loved it, if he had some down time after chasing around in the dark, eating pills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I've been imitating a lot of epicmealtime stuff recently, just on a lower scale. Basically if the mean has less than 5 types of meat its not good enough

I finally have a wok now though, So I can properly do some stir fry and not a ****ty one using a frying pan or somthing

Stirfry is so easy to do. Just wish I had more sauces. Getting sick of soya sauce on it's own.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've been imitating a lot of epicmealtime stuff recently, just on a lower scale. Basically if the mean has less than 5 types of meat its not good enough

I finally have a wok now though, So I can properly do some stir fry and not a ****ty one using a frying pan or somthing

I'd settle for some more of those tastey burgers you brought that time. Post me up some. :pac:

Stirfry is so easy to do. Just wish I had more sauces. Getting sick of soya sauce on it's own.

Yeah but now I wont have some spilling over the edges and falling down into the ring...whayey!

Andrew, I'll send ya up a freezer bag sure, Just send me down one of your nomads sure and we'll be even haha

• Advertisement

Oh I'm not saying 'duh it's easy' I'm saying 'isn't great when you come home knackered to throw on a stirfry safe in the knowledge you can't **** it up and it will still be delicious' :)

Andrew, I'll send ya up a freezer bag sure, Just send me down one of your nomads sure and we'll be even haha

Hehe only have one left I'm afraid. :)

Sure forget about that Sega lark, buy my boxed A600 and get into some proper gaming. ;)

oh yeah, I agree. But theres a stir fry and then theres a....Stir Fry! An epic dish that would be fit for god himself.

Must go and find somplace to get some nice sauces actually. If I could get my hands on the sauces they use in wok to walk it would be amazing

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Hehe only have one left I'm afraid. :)

Sure forget about that Sega lark, buy my boxed A600 and get into some proper gaming. ;)

I forgot, is that the amiga thats like a sega, with a lot of the same titles? :P

I forgot, is that the amiga thats like a sega, with a lot of the same titles? :P

That's it, except it was out first with better sound and graphics. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement