Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Take to The Streets?

• 27-11-2011 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

With all the depressing headlines regarding our up and coming cutbacks and budget I'm just curious....

1. Are we a nation of just growling about it and sitting on our arses?

2. Or is there a point when we would collectively take to the streets in our masses in protest?

What will YOU do if pushed too far by govt. cuts? 32 votes

Sit and Moan about it?
    0% 0 votes
    Take it to the Street?
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Weather's too cold atm, maybe next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Biscuits16

Too much effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What are you protesting exactly?

These people are cutting back because there's f*ck all money at the moment. What exactly are you hoping will happen if you protest?

Budgets are nothing new my friend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

ya can protest all ya want but it wont solve anything! think the government knows that we aint happy but cuts have to be made!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You gwan ahead, I just have to lace my shoes up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Global mortgage strike would bring the whole system down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Global mortgage strike would bring the whole system down.

Which would lead to complete chaos, anarchy and the sort of scenes seen in mad max. No thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Cuts need to be made but there needs to be fair play around who gets cut. The public service are getting off scott free again with the government's cowardly Croke Park deal. The banksters have gotten off as well. People wouldn't mind cuts if they felt that the politicians, public sector and banksters have taken the hit as well. The old bullsh!t in this country where certain people are protected from the pain, needs to be addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ah be quiet shay givara:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Personally, I'm afraid to leave the house as I'm over three months in arrears and I'd be afraid the council would change the locks and lock me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Which would lead to complete chaos, anarchy and the sort of scenes seen in mad max. No thanks !

I have a months supply of canned food...a lack of regard for personal safety, a penchant for strong bloody violence and I'm not afraid to rough it

Yes please!

Ah now.

It would lead to flowers in our hair and chocolates and ponies and romance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

1. Are we a nation of just growling about it and sitting on our arses?

yes

2. Or is there a point when we would collectively take to the streets in our masses in protest?

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Irish people are different. They fume and give out about their lot, go to bed at night, then wake up refreshed and forgetting what they were annoyed about. That's why we take so much. It's a unique mentality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Irish people are different. They fume and give out about their lot, go to bed at night, then wake up refreshed and forgetting what they were annoyed about. That's why we take so much. It's a unique mentality

why do people keep talking about "Irish people" like its possible to understand them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Take to the streets...... hell yeah.... but...

Can't do Monday to Friday as i work,
    Cant do Saturday as i golf that day,
    Can't do Sunday as i have family over.

Do you mind if i just complain on boards instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

**** it, if we sit back and take it in the ass for every cut than things will be much worse. The point is 'our' national debt has gotten so big because we bailed out French, British and German banks, 'if' we protested there might be a small chance that some of their debt that we're paying might be canceled off. All the sh1tes that say 'protesting won't change anything' are the exact same people who thought there was 'no point' in not being subjects of the queen, well we're not subjects of the queen, because people stood up and were counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Or...

3. sit at home and not moan about it.

**** it, if we sit back and take it in the ass for every cut than things will be much worse. The point is 'our' national debt has gotten so big because we bailed out French, British and German banks, 'if' we protested there might be a small chance that some of their debt that we're paying might be canceled off. All the sh1tes that say 'protesting won't change anything' are the exact same people who thought there was 'no point' in not being subjects of the queen, well we're not subjects of the queen, because people stood up and were counted.

Rabble rabble!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Give it a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

There is no benefit to mass protest, all it will do is give Ireland an even more unstable image internationally, which is bad, suck it up and get on with it, we're still an incredibly privileged nation and with proper management we have the ability to get out of this. Protesting cuts to inflated expenditure is as stupid as moaning about it.

There is no benefit to mass protest.....

"Sir, there's a few people outside protesting"

"Really? Well in that case...... MORE SOCIAL WELFARE FOR ALL!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Will there be sandwiches available at these Streets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

i dont know where the "fightng irish" thing comes from cos all ive seen over the last few yrs is a nation,bar a brave and principled minority, bending over and taking every inch.

daniel o connells brother,a priest, said bout the irish around the time of the faimine.................god bless the irish,they'll watch their children starve before breaking the law:o:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    we are a nation of walkovers and quislings.
    someday we'll rise again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MrStuffins wrote: »

These people are cutting back because there's f*ck all money at the moment. What exactly are you hoping will happen if you protest?

There's plenty of money.

It's being given to failed gamblers and the b*stards that destroyed the economy.

A pension of 150k a year for Ahern? 50k a year pension for Sutherland who is worth 80million euro.

Cop the f*ck on people, this country ain't broke. There's plenty for the golden circle.

i dont know where the "fightng irish" thing comes from cos all ive seen over the last few yrs is a nation,bar a brave and principled minority, bending over and taking every inch.

daniel o connells brother,a priest, said bout the irish around the time of the faimine.................god bless the irish,they'll watch their children starve before breaking the law:o:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    we are a nation of walkovers and quislings.
    someday we'll rise again.

You realise that the country is run by Irish people, its Irish people who got us into this mess and it'll be Irish drawing up the budget right?

the irish to me are the irish working class, they arent to blame for this mess. the people that caused this are traitors to the irish republic,imo.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There's plenty of money.

It's being given to failed gamblers and the b*stards that destroyed the economy.

A pension of 150k a year for Ahern? 50k a year pension for Sutherland who is worth 80million euro.

Cop the f*ck on people, this country ain't broke. There's plenty for the golden circle.

Do you realise how tiny 200k a year is when you put it beside the country's annual budget? It's even more insignificant beside the national debit, the ridiculous levels of wastage in the public sector and social welfare on the other hand makes up a sizeable amount of money when you're talking on this scale.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There's plenty of money.

the man that over saw this whole mess, pat neary,walked from the central bank with a lump sum and yearly pension worth hundreds of thousands. harney and traitors like ahern and biffo earning a fortune on pensions, its sickening tbh:mad:

the irish to me are the irish working class, they arent to blame for this mess. the people that caused this are traitors to the irish republic,imo.

Well the people in charge are the people we, the Irish working class, put in power using our democratic rights.

Well the people in charge are the people we, the Irish working class, put in power using our LIMITED democratic rights.

See, I fixed that for you.

Do you realise how tiny 200k a year is when you put it beside the country's annual budget?

Of course I do, what sort of a stupid question is that to ask? :confused:
    It's even more insignificant beside the national debit, the ridiculous levels of wastage in the public sector and social welfare on the other hand makes up a sizeable amount of money when you're talking on this scale.

Let the pain start at the top. I'm sick of seeing that slimeball Sutherland being given airtime on RTE to demand that poor people suffer cutbacks. Just shows how corrupt the system is. :mad:

Well the people in charge are the people we, the Irish working class, put in power using our democratic rights.

Careful now, nobody likes when you point out that FF weren't heading up a dictatorship.

gbee wrote: »
    Well the people in charge are the people we, the Irish working class, put in power using our [COLOR="Red"]LIMITED [/COLOR]democratic rights.

See, I fixed that for you.

I'm sorry, did someone stop you voting?

• Advertisement

We weren't asked if we wanted the banks bailed out.

How many people do you think would have voted yes to a bank bailout if it had went to a referendum?

We weren't asked if we wanted the banks bailed out.

How many people do you think would have voted yes to a bank bailout if it had went to a referendum?

Did you speak to your local representative about the bail out? Encourage others to? How did they vote?

We didn't ask, nor were we asked, if we wanted the banks bailed out.

You'd still probably get 30-35% of the moronic public to do so because "the politicans know best/told us to".

Just look at the turn around on Lisbon. "I'm voting for Lisbon for jobs". That worked out well, didnt it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 W77

I am a sheep. Bah.

Fixed it even more.

W77 wrote: »
    Fixed it even more.

You you guys have a new version of democracy where you're always right and you ridicule anyone who disagrees with you regardless of what they have to say or what they know on the subject? We already have a name for that kind of system and it doesn't fall into the category of democracy.

So what was the problem with your vote anyway?

Or do you have nothing to add, rather just dislike what some people are saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Maybe you should be asking WHY there's f*ck all money.

The answer is that our Government threw our economic sovereignty under the bus in order to rescue private sector bank bondholders.

The debts incurred from that have bankrupted the country, and the Government are now coming to the most vulnerable in our society, and sticking them with the tab.

You don't get a sense of injustice in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Cuts need to be made but there needs to be fair play around who gets cut. The public service are getting off scott free again with the government's cowardly Croke Park deal. The banksters have gotten off as well. People wouldn't mind cuts if they felt that the politicians, public sector and banksters have taken the hit as well. The old bullsh!t in this country where certain people are protected from the pain, needs to be addressed

Scot is an old word for tax or levy. So public service workers did not get off scot free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

People have taken to the streets worldwide.
    But sure they're only dirty, unemployed, weed-smoking hippies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 W77

You you guys have a new version of democracy where you're always right and you ridicule anyone who disagrees with you regardless of what they have to say or what they know on the subject? We already have a name for that kind of system and it doesn't fall into the category of democracy.

So what was the problem with your vote anyway?

Or do you have nothing to add, rather just dislike what some people are saying?

Whomever the political candidates may be, it does not matter. They are all different branches of the same Zionist tree. The outcome of this financial crisis was decided years ago. But telling you people this is just wasting time. You're all sheep beyond belief. So now I just use this site as a means to acknowledge how hopeless we truly are.

I am a sheep. Bah.

Fixed it even more.

Jaysus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Whomever the political candidates may be, it does not matter. They are all different branches of the same Zionist tree. The outcome of this financial crisis was decided years ago. But telling you people this is just wasting time. You're all sheep beyond belief. So now I just use this site as a means to acknowledge how hopeless we truly are.
    LAWL DATWORD AGAIN

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Maybe you should be asking WHY there's f*ck all money.

The answer is that our Government threw our economic sovereignty under the bus in order to rescue private sector bank bondholders.

The debts incurred from that have bankrupted the country, and the Government are now coming to the most vulnerable in our society, and sticking them with the tab.

You don't get a sense of injustice in that?

Our country is not bankrupt. As a young person my sense of injustice comes from knowing a huge portion of the older generation lived outside of their means and repeatedly and blindly voted for the party that offered the lowest tax rate and best hikes in social welfare, without this ridiculous behaviour we would not be in the same mess we are in now, there is nothing major wrong with our political system, just how the people utilised it.
    Scot is an old word for tax or levy. So public service workers did not get off scot free.

And gay is an old word for happy, funnily enough that's not what people think I mean when I use the word. "scot free" in current usage means without punishment or injury, whilst I agree they took a minor hit and "scot free" might not be an entirely accurate assessment the public sector is still sitting pretty in pre-recession Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Our country is not bankrupt. As a young person my sense of injustice comes from knowing a huge portion of the older generation lived outside of their means and repeatedly and blindly voted for the party that offered the lowest tax rate and best hikes in social welfare, without this ridiculous behaviour we would not be in the same mess we are in now, there is nothing major wrong with our political system, just how the people utilised it.

1. Our country is not bankrupt? Would you mind telling that to the IMF/ECB, since if I'm not mistaken we were bailed out by them last November due to being shut out of the bond markets? If that's not bankrupt, what is?

2. You don't see any injustice in taxpayers picking up the debts of private, bankrupt banks? So am I to take it that you approve of the "Privatise the profits, socialise the losses" school of finance?

3. Our current fiscal mess was not caused by "Low tax, high spending". It was caused by the government stepping in to bail out the banking system.

1. Our country is not bankrupt? Would you mind telling that to the IMF/ECB, since if I'm not mistaken we were bailed out by them last November due to being shut out of the bond markets? If that's not bankrupt, what is?
    You could probably do with looking up the definition of bankrupt
    2. You don't see any injustice in taxpayers picking up the debts of private, bankrupt banks? So am I to take it that you approve of the "Privatise the profits, socialise the losses" school of finance?
    We had to do something at the time or our economy would be in a lot worse a state than it is now, I agree that a blanket bail out was not the best thing to do, but unless you have a time machine there is sweet shag all we can do about it now.
    3. Our current fiscal mess was not caused by "Low tax, high spending". It was caused by the government stepping in to bail out the banking system.
    You honestly believe we'd still be living the high life had we not bailed out the banks? Do you perchance remember why we bailed out the banks?

there is nothing major wrong with our political system, just how the people utilised it..

Spoken by someone who, in this post, demonstrates to everyone else, how little is known by the poster of the system the post is referring to.

In short we never had a democracy and we never had a low tax economy and we never had a celtic tiger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement