Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco DSL on Vodafone

Options
  • 27-11-2011 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have a Cisco 2620 with a WIC-1ADSL that I am trying to connect to Vodafone because my other modem is on the blink, but I cannot get it to connect properly. The actual DSL connection is working, but I am not getting a PPP session.

I get this
    Nov 27 21:35:50.775: Sending PADI: vc=8/35
    Nov 27 21:36:22.835:  padi timer expired

when I have "debug vpdn pppoe-events" on.

This is my current running-config.
    Router#sho run
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1339 bytes
    !
    ! Last configuration change at 21:52:09 UTC Sun Nov 27 2011
    !
    version 12.3
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname Router
    !
    boot-start-marker
    boot-end-marker
    !
    enable secret 5
    !
    no aaa new-model
    ip subnet-zero
    ip cef
    !
    !
    !
    ip audit po max-events 100
    vpdn enable
    !
    vpdn-group pppoe
     request-dialin
      protocol pppoe
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface ATM0/0
     no ip address
     no atm ilmi-keepalive
     bundle-enable
     dsl operating-mode auto
     hold-queue 224 in
    !
    interface ATM0/0.1 point-to-point
     pvc 8/35
      pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
     !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
     ip address 10.5.130.61 255.255.255.224
     ip nat inside
     duplex auto
     speed auto
    !
    interface Serial0/1
     no ip address
     shutdown
    !
    interface Dialer1
     ip address negotiated
     ip mtu 1492
     ip nat outside
     encapsulation ppp
     dialer pool 1
     ppp authentication chap callin
     ppp chap hostname vodafone@vodafone.ie
     ppp chap password 0 broadband
    !
    ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer1 overload
    ip http server
    no ip http secure-server
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1
    !
    !
    access-list 1 permit 10.5.130.32 0.0.0.31
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
     password 
     login
    line vty 5 15
     password 
     login
    !
    !
    end

Anyone have any ideas why this isn't working?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Get latest version for the router from Cisco (if you can)...
    Is the line ADSL1 or ADSL2+ !?

Some of the "old" routers are not compatible with latest ADSL standard...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Odd - no responses to a PADI - first thing I'd normally look at here is the PVC, but that looks fine.

I have seen something similar on an ADSL line where the PPP terminator actually stops responding to PADI requests after a change of modem (mac address of peer changes and the PPP terminator just ignores frames with the new source MAC - the continued PADI messages just seemed to prolong the problem).

The solution on that site was to unplug the adsl line for over 10 minutes (possibly even longer) and then connect the new dsl router - at which point we started receiving the offer (PADO) frames and off it went. Disconnecting and reconnecting the same router immediately afterwards worked normally. (As if a pppoe snooping timer or something was involved and tracking the mac address on the port (pure conjecture on my part!)).

Are you just disconnecting your old modem, trying the router for a few minutes and swapping back or is the dsl line already down a long time before you try to connect your cisco?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rev

rolion wrote: »
    Get latest version for the router from Cisco (if you can)...
    Is the line ADSL1 or ADSL2+ !?

Some of the "old" routers are not compatible with latest ADSL standard...
    I have IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IK9O3S3-M), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2), which is the last version to support the 2620 I have.
    As for the line, I think it is ADSL1 as it is connecting using G.DMT. Can't get any higher here.
    Snaga wrote: »
    Odd - no responses to a PADI - first thing I'd normally look at here is the PVC, but that looks fine.

I have seen something similar on an ADSL line where the PPP terminator actually stops responding to PADI requests after a change of modem (mac address of peer changes and the PPP terminator just ignores frames with the new source MAC - the continued PADI messages just seemed to prolong the problem).

The solution on that site was to unplug the adsl line for over 10 minutes (possibly even longer) and then connect the new dsl router - at which point we started receiving the offer (PADO) frames and off it went. Disconnecting and reconnecting the same router immediately afterwards worked normally. (As if a pppoe snooping timer or something was involved (pure conjecture on my part!)).

Are you just disconnecting your old modem, trying the router for a few minutes and swapping back or is the dsl line already down a long time before you try to connect your cisco?

I was disconnecting and trying the cisco straight away. I will try disconnecting for a while later and see if that helps.

Sorry for your troubles...ny friendly advise is to log a call with Cisco if you have a valid support contract and take it from there...they can advise you re hardware,ADSL module,IOS version and "debug all on" results...

(T)Here are few Cisco guys,but "the real life" situation wasn't on their exam stuff ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've just looked at the running config for my Cisco 877W and the only main difference I can spot is that I have 'dialer-group 1' on the Dialer0 interface. I'm a little hazy on the details but I think this is what actually serves to trigger the PPPOE negotiation. Can't do any harm to try it anyway :)

• Advertisement

as per Cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a008071a7c2.shtml

Are you receiving a PPPoE response from the aggregation router?
    If you do not have an active PPPoE session established, you need to issue the debug vpdn pppoe-events command to determine what PPPoE does not come up.

Router#debug vpdn pppoe-events
    *Mar 3 21:49:38.030: Sending PADI: vc=8/35
    *Mar 3 21:49:38.030: padi timer expired
    *Mar 3 21:50:10.030: Sending PADI: vc=8/35
    *Mar 3 21:50:10.030: padi timer expired
    *Mar 3 21:50:42.030: Sending PADI: vc=8/35
    *Mar 3 21:50:42.030: padi timer expired
    *Mar 3 21:51:14.030: Sending PADI: vc=8/35
    *Mar 3 21:51:14.030: padi timer expired
    *Mar 3 21:51:46.030: Sending PADI: vc=8/35
    *Mar 3 21:51:46.030: padi timer expired
    Router#undebug all
    In this example, the Cisco DSL router continuously sends PPPoE Active Discovery Initiation (PADI) frames to the ISP with no response. The PADI frame is the first in a series of PPPoE call-setup frames. If your ISP does not respond with a PPPoE Active Discovery Offer (PADO), PPPoE negotiation does not succeed. The only solution for this problem is to contact your ISP.

If you successfully negotiate PPPoE, your debug vpdn pppoe-events output looks like this output:

Router#debug vpdn pppoe-events
    *Mar 3 21:49:38.030: Sending PADI: vc=8/35
    *Mar 3 21:50:10.030: PPPOE: we've got our pado and the pado timer went off
    *Mar 3 21:50:35.030: OUT PADR from PPPoE tunnel
    *Mar 3 21:50:50.030: IN PADS from PPPoE tunnel
    Router#undebug all
    If PPPoE is successfully negotiated, continue with the next section about troubleshooting PPP.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rev

Alun wrote: »
    I've just looked at the running config for my Cisco 877W and the only main difference I can spot is that I have 'dialer-group 1' on the Dialer0 interface. I'm a little hazy on the details but I think this is what actually serves to trigger the PPPOE negotiation. Can't do any harm to try it anyway :)
    Tried that and it didn't make any difference.
    Rev wrote: »
    I was disconnecting and trying the cisco straight away. I will try disconnecting for a while later and see if that helps.
    I disconnected the modem before I went to bed last night and tried connecting the Cisco this morning and that didn't help either.

Advertisement