Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router LAN Port speed

• 27-11-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

Just a quick question.

Does anyone know at what speed do the lan ports on your average dsl router operate at.

Have been looking for specs but cant seem to find any.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rev

Every one I have seen runs at 100Mbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no such thing as an average router. It could be 10M, 100M or 1Gbps, all depends on the exact router model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

90% are 100Mbps

some of the more expensive ones are 1Gbps.

you would be very hard pushed to find one thats max 10Mbps, the only way you would get a port that slow nowadays would be if the device you plugged in had a 10 meg ethernet port

from a broadband point of view you don't need mor than 100Mbps in this country as there will be a bottleneck at your ISP facing port. The only reasyon you would need more would be for large local file transfers and HD video streaming but realistically 100Mb should be loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

By average router I meant the ones that arrive in the post from your ISP.

Thank you Matt and Rev, I thought as much about the 100Mbps.

Basically then if you have any equipment inside your gateway that runs at more, then the router will be a bottle neck but again as you say you shouldn't need any more than 100.

HTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

HTB wrote: »
    By average router I meant the ones that arrive in the post from your ISP.

Thank you Matt and Rev, I thought as much about the 100Mbps.

Basically then if you have any equipment inside your gateway that runs at more, then the router will be a bottle neck but again as you say you shouldn't need any more than 100.

HTB.

The max of Dsl internet connection is 24Mbit so it would not matter. The reason for Gigabit Lan ports is for inside Lan traffic, streaming or file transfer etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the cheapest way around this is to use a gigabit switch behind the router and connect all your devices to that and only connect the switch to the router itself, that way anything connected to the switch (that is gigabit capable itself) will work at gigabit speeds when communicating with anything else connected to the switch.

you can pick a 5 port one up for less than 20 quid if you shop around online.

i have a gigabit router myself now, but before i got it, i was using two gigabit switches (one connected to the router which was under my TV with a htpc and ps3 etc. wired to it, then one upstairs in my office where my NAS and main PC are, wired to the other switch with cat5e) to enable everything on my LAN to operate at the increased speeds.

i've removed the downstairs switch from the equation now though with my gigabit router, but it still gets used from time to time if i need some extra LAN ports for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

HTB wrote: »
    /Basically then if you have any equipment inside your gateway that runs at more, then the router will be a bottle neck but again as you say you shouldn't need any more than 100.

You won't need more for Internet traffic, but for your LAN traffic you'll want it to be as fast as possible. If you let the modem be your router, and it's a 100Mbps router in a Gigabit Ethernet network, then you are throttling your LAN for a factor of 10.

If you don't care about LAN traffic, then it won't matter what speed your router is, as long as it's equal or greater than your broadband speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it makes quite a bit of real world difference copying files.

a 700mb dvdrip or iso will take just over 17m to copy at 10Mbps, around 1m45s at 100Mbps and in the region of 10 seconds at 1Gbps assuming that where you are copying it from and to has the I/O capacity to handle reading and writing the data at that speed, which at the higher end is going to mean either an SSD or a fast, multi-disk RAID NAS or server.

Advertisement