Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on second opinion for MS diagnosis

Options
  • 28-11-2011 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey
    So I will try to keep this short. I was diagnosed with clinically definite MS about 3 weeks ago. This was not a huge surprise but is upsetting my family.

About 3 years ago I went to the doctor cause I was experiencing what I can only describe as a lack of sensation down the right side of my torso. I was sent to see a neurologist because of family history (mother had MS, father had and aneurysm and Huntingtons disease on father's side of the family). By the time I saw the neuro, feeling had disappeared and I decided not to investigate it.

Just over a year later I started to lose feeling in my left hand and every so often felt a tingling sensation. Was sent to the neuro again and this time was sent for an MRI. This showed inflammation of the brain and neck and neuro said he suspected MS because of family history and possible episode before. Was sent for a second MRI but was exactly the same as the first so all he could diagnose was a clinically isolated incident of demylination.

A couple of months later, I started to have pain in my right eye and it hurt to move my eye, this then turned into a headache which lasted 3 weeks and every so often things would start flashing in front of my right eye. Doctor sent me to neuro and he said it was a mild version of optic neuritis and diagnosed me and wants me to start treatment. I have not been very ill with anything, at most I would say that I find my tingling hand annoying and its lost precision. The headaches were the worst as I often had to just go to bed but they only lasted 3 weeks.

My family are upset as my mother suffered a lot with her MS and this is understandable. They are talking about me maybe getting a second opinion but I feel I can't afford this. I finished an MA in Sept and I'm now unemployed. I didn't have a lumber puncture and think this would be the next step if I were to get a second opinion and to be honest I don't want to have one. People have told me horror stories about them.

I like the neuro who diagnosed me, he appears competent to me and my GP seems to agree with him. I just want to know if many people get a second opinion and what they think about me looking for one.

All thoughts are welcome and I'm grateful for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

When i was told i had Ms I didnt look for a second opinion I was diagnosed after 2 mri scans and a lumbar puncture. The doctor showed me the liasions off the Mri scan and gave me all the info about Ms so i believed him when he told me . I would say you should get the Lumbar puncture that is a second tool they use when trying to diagnose ms after the mri scans. Yes they are not plesent but if you can go through it then you will have peace of mind and be able to start treatment if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Firstly I have no knowledge of MS
    I have a condition and am being treated by a Neuro at present for a long term condition. i would definitely get and in my case did get a second opinion which i went to the uk for with the support of my Neuro. Their diagnosis was confirmed and i am happy I am being treated for the right condition as a lot of these conditions can be similar. I also had a lumbar Puncture and it was pretty painless so don't think you have anything to worry about. Put your mind to rest and get the 2nd opinion for something this serious. At least then you know you are on the right track. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Personally, I'd start treatment asap. I regret not going straight on to something. Second relapse did a lot of damage to one of my legs.

Advertisement