Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Question

Options
  • 28-11-2011 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi, I have gotten a job on a temporary three month contract "with a view to extending this." I've looked on daft and any of the house shares I'm interested in all have a one year lease. Can I sign it and then just leave with a months notice? Obviously I am hoping to be kept on etc, but am just wondering what would happen in the worst case scenario? Could I be liable for the remaining 9 months?
    This is really worrying me as I live much too far away to commute and have to rent somewhere!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Whereabouts is the job?

I think shorter lettings are available...probably a bit harder to find and rent is slightly more expensive because the landlord has to find somebody else after 3/6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Its in Blackrock. there just doesn't seem to be anything less than a one year lease option in that area at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I think a lot of people on daft just select that option, but if the room has been empty for a while they might be happy to take someone in for 3 months. I’d just email them and explain your situation and hopefully somebody will get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The reason I ask is that I know somebody with a house near the city centre who I'm sure would consider a good but short-term tenant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

The way daft is worded in this area confuses people. It's not clear whether the term is the minimum for which the room is available or the maximum.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. think I'm just gonna try and negotiate a shorter term lease!! Some of the rooms seem to have been available for a while so that could be a good sign! :)

Exaisle, could you pm me the details? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Its in Blackrock. there just doesn't seem to be anything less than a one year lease option in that area at the minute!

Is that Blackrock in Co Cork, Co Dublin or Co Louth?

Could be dangerous to sign a 1 year fixed term lease if you may not be staying the year.

You could also try asking for a Part 4 lease or a Periodic lease. These are much easier to get out of -- but the landlord can also ask you to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I could be wrong, but I don't think they would all apply to houseshares?

Oh sorry, its the Blackrock in Co. Dublin!

Advertisement