Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All round generator...

• 28-11-2011 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a genny, can someone recommend one thats not too big (or expencive) that would be usefull around the house and farm if in the case of a powercut i.e boil a kettle, appliences, run lights,pumps, tools ect.

Dont know much about electrics:rolleyes:, would i have to have lower voltaged equipement to use in the case of such an outage?

Relations in the US have a system that cuts in automatic in their basement but i think a electrician set it up for them....

cheers, as always cc30.............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo_bAcy-MPQ

some basic info here to get you started,
    main thing's i'd think of is fuel(what type), noise, and security, is it likely to get damaged or stole, as they normally have to be kept outside, do you have a tractor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

cheap way is to lash an old car engine to an electrical motor and use a transformer to convert the output to the voltage current you desire.

Small gennys can be bought relatively cheaply for small load purposes.
    We used a home made one on the bird farm to keep lights and heaters running during frequent power cuts. along with a simple relay circuit that rang a battery powered alarm bell when the mains cut out. saved us a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Those systems are the bees knees but far too rich for me. Thinking of a reliable diesel genny that i could run an extension lead into the house when needed for running lights , fridge freezer , kettle and some form of heater if needed.....Portable for yard tools light ect......when needed

Does any one have a similar setup for the house and what size price was it? does it come in handy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

a couple bits of advice. dont buy of the travellers who will tell you its a honda, (we knew but chanced them anyway) they are scrap have two i bought one friend bought another and we couldnt manage to make one out of the pair. youll need a reasonable size if your running a couple of things, my own opinion would be at least 8kva. Dont buy second hand on the smaller sizes and if you really want to test it put two kettles on boiling together. i have a 40 kva stationary now and very handy a decent welder gennie may be an option and you can make a bit more use of it.

Advertisement