Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water purification..

Options
  • 28-11-2011 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Any one buy or build something that would provide clean ,safe drinking water for an extended period of time? ( more than likely using collected rain water)....................
    cheers............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If buying look at a domestic reverse osmosis filter, it does require power to function but gets rid of 98% of nasties.

If building one a slow sand filter is easy to construct at home, its literally sand and gravel. Add some chlorine after and it will be able to be stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Ya read something about this sand and gravel setup wirh layers of cloth at different levels....
    Im thinking of making one on trial.....Might start gathering materials

Plastic 40 gallon drum
    Leaf guard..
    Tap and hose
    Sediment trap (?)
    clean gravel
    plastering sand (washed)
    multible Yardage of clean undyed cloth
    Silken type material (fine filter)
    Chlorine.

Thinking of setting it up as a raincatcher (when needed only)
    1. leaf and sediment trap
    2. 2 Foot of 1 inch downgravel on top
    3. cloth/ 1 foot clean sand
    4. cloth/ 6 inch clean sand/ cloth 6 inch clean sand ect to bottom
    5. final foot or so at bottom of clean round stones
    6 Tap on bottom with hose

Where could i include the charcole? & has anyone tried this?
    Im thinking of time with no electricity so reverse osmosis is out.....

cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

If you got the reddies check out http://www.aquapail.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Ya read something about this sand and gravel setup wirh layers of cloth at different levels....
    Im thinking of making one on trial.....Might start gathering materials

Sounds a bit of a overkill, my setup is this:

1) Strainer in gutter
    2) Auto feed valve from gutter
    3) 55 Gallon water but, filled with 4" of <2" stones, 3" <1" gravel, 3" pea gravel 8" sand
    4) 1000 ltr oil tank for water storage with a toilet valve fitted to stop filling when full

No need for sediment traps or cloth filters as its from rain water and the sand will trap it all. Its low maintenance where I can just take the top 2" of sand to clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

krissovo wrote: »
    If buying look at a domestic reverse osmosis filter, it does require power to function but gets rid of 98% of nasties.

Only if you have really cruddy water pressure,and want to be belt and braces 100% sure and are running a UV filter as well.Have one and it works off normal domestic water pressure.What I would like for it is reusable and cleanable water filter cartridges.All the pump does is refill the resovior quicker.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Only if you have really cruddy water pressure,and want to be belt and braces 100% sure and are running a UV filter as well.Have one and it works off normal domestic water pressure.What I would like for it is reusable and cleanable water filter cartridges.All the pump does is refill the resovior quicker.
    Activated charcoal is basically non reusable. I posted a field guide to making it though, in the charcoal thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bar one of them Doc,they are like very fine screens of various micron thickness.Must be someway of flushing and cleaning the primary and secondary filters without just replacing them??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement