Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

New Chinese beside the Centra on the Vevay Road, hope its good cos the other one down the road a bit is rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,561 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Is there such a thing as a good Chinese in bray? If there is I haven't been in it (and I've had my fair share of Chinese)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lings

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thargor wrote: »
    Ridiculous amount of coffee places now tbh and still nowhere to get a decent cheap lunch or breakfast, I predict this Winter will see a massive cull of most of the places mentioned in the last 4 pages here.

Why do people always whinge and moan about too many coffee shops. I think its great to have businesses in the town.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Is there such a thing as a good Chinese in bray? If there is I haven't been in it (and I've had my fair share of Chinese)

P We Ton on the Quinnsboro Road!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Calibos wrote: »
    Lings

I was going to say Lings too, except I haven't been there for a good while :o The staff are really nice people too -always say 'hi' when passing in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

B0jangles wrote: »
    I was going to say Lings too, except I haven't been there for a good while :o The staff are really nice people too -always say 'hi' when passing in the street.
    It's our Chinese takeaway of choice in Bray, and they're always very cheery and pleasant on the phone when ordering. Went to their old place quite often, but have only been to the new, bigger restaurant a couple of times. I felt the old small one had more character though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Agree with Lings, always nice to order from them.

Never tried this one but I always thought the name is quite ironic for a take-away: "Soon-Phat". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭skibum

Preusse wrote: »
    Never tried this one but I always thought the name is quite ironic for a take-away: "Soon-Phat". :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/infomatique/7925263836/in/photostream/

It has had a major facelift recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

Looks like another cafe is opening up on the Albert walk. I think it's where 3 amigos was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I believe the Gem will gone in a matter of weeks now. Still can't believe it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

1) Is the Gem closing down!? (or moving?)

2) Whatever happened to 3 Amigos? Shut down? Didn't do enough business?

3) I see planning permission in window or old National Irish / Danske Bank to become a café/restaurant-type place.

What's the Gem?

Alun wrote: »
    What's the Gem?

The newspaper agents on the Quinsborough Road. They stock a large variety of magazines/journals. It's near Molloy's.

Preusse wrote: »
    The newspaper agents on the Quinsborough Road. They stock a large variety of magazines/journals. It's near Molloy's.
    OK, I can't say I've ever noticed there was a newsagents at all on Quinsborough Road, let alone noticed the name.

What's the Gem?

The newsagent beside Molloy's on the Quinsborough road. I've heard the current owners are retiring and it will be turning into a Centra or Spar sort of shop.

I'm very curious about the old NIB building - I was surprised when someone bought it - the facade is not appropriate for a shop since the windows are relatively small and high up, and who buys a building to open a restaurant unless they are maybe a billionaire?

OK, I can't say I've ever noticed there was a newsagents at all on Quinsborough Road, let alone noticed the name.

I noticed it before but never went in until about two weeks ago when someone mentioned that you could get all kinds of magazines there usually not available in other places apart maybe from Eason's. They were right, I got magazines about home improvement and decoration there which I had been looking for in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

It's becoming a Londis.
    Guna Dubh on the Florence Road's closed, where the old petshop used to be.

It's becoming a Londis.
    Guna Dubh on the Florence Road's closed, where the old petshop used to be.

Little bit of me is very happy about that. I loved that Pet Shop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I remember when the Pet Superstore opened up beside Woodies, I reckoned that the two small petshops would be gone within the year. I'm just waiting for the second half of my prediction to come true. ie. That head office decide that the Bray Pet Superstore isn't quite making the target profit levels and Boom!! Closed!! but only after killing off two small long established family businesses. Sickening.

• Advertisement

That place is empty every time I go up there, even when Woodies has crowds out the door on a Saturday. The DID or whatever beside it isnt much better.

Thargor wrote: »
    That place is empty every time I go up there, even when Woodies has crowds out the door on a Saturday.
    I go there quite a lot for cat food, litter etc. and I'm never the only customer in there. It's never crowded like Woodies, but I'd say there's always a steady stream of customers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

I see a new cafe has opened in Flanagans furniture shop in the retail park on the Southern Cross. Think it is called Red Bird. Anyone tried it yet?
    Should do okay being close to Woodies etc.

I really miss the Florence Road petshop - it was so handy and the guy who worked there (the one who always had his dog with him) was very nice and friendly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I'd say the lack of parking in bray for all those years was a contributor to the pet shop at Florence road closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 laura1963

Just heard dealz coming to bray. Where city 2 was!!

Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

laura1963 wrote: »
    Just heard dealz coming to bray. Where city 2 was!!

Another quality shop on the main street to add to the €2 shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 laura1963

murpho999 wrote: »
    Another quality shop on the main street to add to the €2 shops.

Well at least it will bring some employment to bray.

• Advertisement

Not sure if it was mentioned before but I recently saw that a new shop opened on the Florence Road, Florence Fortune's Antique Shop: https://www.facebook.com/florencefortunesantiqueshop

Had a look in there and must say I am quite happy to see an antiques shop in Bray. From what I heard there may be an idea to also open a little tea shop upstairs next year which would be nice.

Advertisement