Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

Is there a starbucks opening in Bray?

In contrast to 2011 I hope not :p much prefer Insomnia, though im hesitant in hoping for it as the town is drowning in cheap greasy spoons/coffee shops, i'd like some decent competition for Finnbees though too, with their overpriced muck :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 geewiz

That would be so awesome. And probably my financial ruin. :-)

Please, let's bring at least one of decent coffee chains to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

They appear to be recruiting for a Bray store

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1397547

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Hope not...

If you want decent coffee go to:
    Mamma Mia
    Gusto Italiano
    Carpe Diem
    Campo De Fiori.

Support decent local coffee shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It'll be on the Main street probably but where?

• Advertisement

Where muffins used to be?

Probably the old National Irish Bank though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Starbucks coffee is tasteless. Just a place for the hipsters to hang out and shoot the breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Starbucks coffee is tasteless. Just a place for the hipsters to hang out and shoot the breeze.
    Handy public toilet though, its all I use them for anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Thargor wrote: »
    Handy public toilet though, its all I use them for anyway.

Good point. They may require you to jot your name down on the jacks roll though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Hope not...

If you want decent coffee go to:
    Mamma Mia
    Gusto Italiano
    Carpe Diem
    Campo De Fiori.

Support decent local coffee shops.

Completely agreed. I dont like starbucks at all but I was curious where its going.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    It'll be on the Main street probably but where?

Maybe city2

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know that the Irish National building is being done up (apartments going in upstairs)...

City 2 would be way too big ... the upstairs hasn't been used in years. They still have Pizzaland chairs up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

The rumour is/was that Dealz will go into City 2, but again just talk I think. It is good business to put about that big names are interested.

As for Starbucks v the others, it comes down to taste I am afraid. My money goes to the smaller guys on quality alone. Coffee in bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Starbucks? If I want to drink coffee in syrup format I'd go to a vending machine...
    As zoobizoo has mentioned, support the local decent ones. But if it creates local jobs without affecting local businesses then there's an upside!

Just realised I never came back with my thoughts on Dockyard No 8..
    We (two couples) went down that following Saturday I last posted at 10am. The place was empty which was great for table choice but not great for business - so much so that one of the staff members rang another and told her not to bother coming in yet as there was no one there. Within a half an hour it was jammers!
    I digress...
    3 of us ordered the full Irish and one (my wife) ordered the scrambled eggs and bacon. All thought it was tasty and well presented and staff were very friendly. Any extra coffee is full price which is understandable but competitors dont all charge extra. The overall consensus was that Ocean is still the best (damn you mafia family..but it works.)
    Dockyard No 8 does offer an alternative and I spoke with one of the staff and they were hoping to do some evening meals and wine soon.

Barracuda - nice breakfast, but €12?? Seriously..

Also, went for dinner there last Sunday with the folks. Will be the last time - I thought they had turned it around, again. We were at a wedding there a couple of months ago and the food turned out well (apparently another new chef) so I was relaxed going back on Sunday, that didn't last long.
    They suggest rating them on Tripadvisor on the front of their menu -I just might..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Sugarlumps wrote: »

I went mad during the Celtic Tiger - well, to the extent that one day when I was in Dundrum Town Centre, I went in and bought a Starbucks cappuccino and sat down and drank it. This was true extravagance for me, seeing as I'd always figured it made economic sense to wait the 15 mins or so it took me to drive back home to Bray and make my own beverage.

Other people bought apartments in Bulgaria, I bought coffee in Starbucks.

Anyway, I remember the disappointment at the taste of the Starbucks cappuccino. Since then, I've only bothered with iced coffees whenever I lose the run of myself and visit such estabishments. Actually, McDonald's caramel frappuccinos are just as good as Starbucks, i.m.o.

BUT - I'd rather the hipsters hung out and shot the breeze in Bray than going elsewhere. Any business for Bray is welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

As someone who frequents 3FE (regarded by most as the best coffee place in Ireland) on a weekly basis this may sound odd but you could do a lot worse (especially in Bray for sure) than McDonald's coffee.

Whilst I don't like Starbucks personally, it's surely better than another €2 shops on the Main Street :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I've heard Starbucks is going into where KFC used to be.

Although I for one am NOT looking forward to its arrival. How can small local businesses compete with this? Their coffee isn't great but the marketing and prestige will make people go in. Yeah sure it's good that another business is opening in Bray but if it's at the expense of two others? Not so sure it's a good idea.

On the other hand, a new coffee dock has opened (since about 3 weeks ago) in Mrs. Maguire's Sweet Shop. Mr Coffee is in the same premises but with a different man running it than the sweets. It sells Pure Gusto coffee (another small Irish business) and does delivery to anywhere around the Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 geewiz

BUT - I'd rather the hipsters hung out and shot the breeze in Bray than going elsewhere. Any business for Bray is welcome.

That's the most important point, I'd say. Starbucks will be the first place in Bray where we hipsters can actually plug in our laptops, so I'll happily stop going elsewhere. I'm quite addicted to their Chai Latte (which is as much a "tea" as, say, a Coke is, but WTH), and I'd rather walk to Main Street and leave my money there than drive to Dublin.

Also, the big brand name will give Bray even more credibility as a place for doing business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Starbucks will bring some credibility to Bray's Main Street. I love Campo etc but I don't like Main Street. That area in Dun Laoghaire under the shopping centre has already made it more inviting for other businesses. Also love the free wifi if working on the move.

Obviously I would hate to see any independents going. I still think Bray has the potential to be full of quirky shops like The Lanes in Brighton - destination shopping and food.

No hipsters allowed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I've heard Starbucks is going into where KFC used to be.

Has the KFC from Quinsboro Road closed down??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

ongarboy wrote: »
    Has the KFC from Quinsboro Road closed down??

Yes closed a while now.

The way the town is changing is great - ok most of the improvements have been nearer the seafront but this will surely spread. 5 years ago I wouldn't have stayed in bray to eat but there's so many options now at any time of day. Long may it last!

foxy06 wrote: »
    Yes closed a while now.

The way the town is changing is great - ok most of the improvements have been nearer the seafront but this will surely spread. 5 years ago I wouldn't have stayed in bray to eat but there's so many options now at any time of day. Long may it last!

Carpe Diem's menu this week looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Haven't tried there yet but have heard good things. Great reviews on trip advisor.

Menu changes every Friday for the specials.. lovely place. Friendly staff. Good Italian craft beers. I like their 10.5 red wine.... hits the spot

Yes closed a while now.

Yeah it got the purple flag too!

Terry Pratchet

Yes closed a while now.

Completely agree, said this during the summer!
    My only issue now is that Campo is going :mad::mad::mad::(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

sallymomo wrote: »
    What? Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

sallymomo wrote: »

Please elaborate. That would be terrible if true. I thought it was doing well as it is always busy? :confused:

Which campo is closing? Campo di fiori facing finnbees? Campo ristomarket facing carpe diem?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news people...I was only there on Friday night and no mention of it...
    Probably against the charter to post links to other sites so a sentence from Daft:(No sign of the Ristomarket up for sale yet)

The owners of the restaurant, currently trading as Campo de Fiori Restaurant & Wine Bar are moving on to new projects and this provides an ideal opportunity for interested parties to acquire one
    of the best known, busiest and longest trading restaurants in Bray. Since opening in 2004, the restaurant has enjoyed 10 years of excellent trade. The restaurant is very well located on Strand Road (The Seafront) in an accessible, popular and sought after location in Bray. The area is well served by a host of local amenities and services including sops, hotels, Bray SeaWorld etc. and the area is well served by public transport with links to the surrounding areas and Dublin city centre via the DART and Dublin bus.

Advertisement