Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Are these places though you can just drop in for a pint?

Seems very food orientated and one person dropping in and taking up a table might not be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Both really. Designed as more of a sit around tables than standing venue.

No bar stools at the bar - you have to order at the bar for food and drink - but I saw a few lads during the day having pints on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I've been in the Blackrock Wetherspoons a few times since it opened. No problem with the crowd in there. Poor behaviour not tolerated, simple as. Food was aok, you get what you pay for. The last time I was there the Liverpool CL game was on (on one screen only) so the thought of popping down for 2 or 3 pints of London Pride in nice surroundings for less than €9 appeals to me.

As regards John Duggan being quoted about the sustainability of a superpub I'm not one bit surprised-it is a potentially a bit of competition finally.

New pubs anywhere attract large numbers at first but even with attractive prices no pub will attract messers for too long if they're not tolerated-they'll move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I've been in the Blackrock Wetherspoons a few times since it opened. No problem with the crowd in there. Poor behaviour not tolerated, simple as. Food was aok, you get what you pay for. The last time I was there the Liverpool CL game was on (on one screen only) so the thought of popping down for 2 or 3 pints of London Pride in nice surroundings for less than €9 appeals to me.

As regards John Duggan being quoted about the sustainability of a superpub I'm not one bit surprised-it is a potentially a bit of competition finally.

New pubs anywhere attract large numbers at first but even with attractive prices no pub will attract messers for too long if they're not tolerated-they'll move on.

Heard that John Duggan has gotten the licence for Wetherspoons himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

That gift shop beside AIB is closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Splendour wrote: »

I doubt that very much. Sure he rang every publican in the town asking them to object to barracuda licence application because it might become a wetherspoons. Nah that aint gonna happen.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Splendour wrote: »

The licence for the Barracuda to prevent Wetherspoons from getting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

I would love a Wetherspoons here.

Yes you could say it'll attract the wrong crowd, but that is pessimistic thinking in my view, we seriously need some competition in the North Wicklow area for pubs, there aren't enough and they are too dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mahogany wrote: »
    I would love a Wetherspoons here.

Yes you could say it'll attract the wrong crowd, but that is pessimistic thinking in my view, we seriously need some competition in the North Wicklow area for pubs, there aren't enough and they are too dear.
    Totally agree, would love whetherspoons aswell, €10-12 option for lunch and a drink instead of €30 or more it is in every other rip-off establishment in the town.

Thargor wrote: »
    Totally agree, would love whetherspoons aswell, €10-12 option for lunch and a drink instead of €30 or more it is in every other rip-off establishment in the town.

Seriously where are you lunching? I agree that pubs are too dear for drink but you won't be paying €30 for a lunch and a pint unless you go for a steak.

I would also not expect much from Wetherspoons food and would argue the the local pub has nicer food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously where are you lunching? I agree that pubs are too dear for drink but you won't be paying €30 for a lunch and a pint unless you go for a steak.

I would also not expect much from Wetherspoons food and would argue the the local pub has nicer food.

I've had Grub in the Blackrock one a few times now and for me it's good Bar food, equal to if not better than any other Bar food I've had, but a good bit cheaper. If you're expecting Restaurant quality for Wetherspoons prices you'd have to be a bit Lally IMO

21/25

uch wrote: »
    I've had Grub in the Blackrock one a few times now and for me it's good Bar food, equal to if not better than any other Bar food I've had, but a good bit cheaper. If you're expecting Restaurant quality for Wetherspoons prices you'd have to be a bit Lally IMO

But in my opinion some pubs do serve 'restaurant' quality food. Holland's in Bray for example is pretty good.

From Wetherspoons I'm just expecting grilled/deep fried formulaic food that is cheap for a reason and is therefore not good value. Photos of food on their menus is enough to turn me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Did I hear right that Aldi have put in for planning permission for the old heitons site in castle street? I know it was rumoured before the opeing on the boghall road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Tippex wrote: »
    Did I hear right that Aldi have put in for planning permission for the old heitons site in castle street? I know it was rumoured before the opeing on the boghall road.
    I guess the yard would make a carpark, but would there be enough space on that site for both store, stock room and parking? Is Bray big enough to need 2 Aldi's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

they have put in permission for shop and 102 car park spaces

g0g wrote: »
    Is Bray big enough to need 2 Aldi's?

To be fair, the one on Boghall Road is rammed with people every time I go in there and the car park is always full-to the point there are now barriers between it and the Power City car park

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Tippex wrote: »

Yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

To be fair, the one on Boghall Road is rammed with people every time I go in there and the car park is always full-to the point there are now barriers between it and the Power City car park
    Yeah fair point it always seems busy anytime I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

g0g wrote: »
    Yeah fair point it always seems busy anytime I'm there.

Yup doesn't help that they only seem to have 2-3 people on tills at any given time!

Yup doesn't help that they only seem to have 2-3 people on tills at any given time!

True but it's strange how once you join the queue it's never that slow...

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    True but it's strange how once you join the queue it's never that slow...

I reckon that's down to the length of the conveyor belt so you already have everything on it before they start to tot it up and likewise the person behind you. Then, at the checkout itself the place where they then put it is so small you're kinda forced to pull your groceries off there and into your trolley ASAP.

Yeah, it's a bit of a tin foil hat moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I reckon that's down to the length of the conveyor belt so you already have everything on it before they start to tot it up and likewise the person behind you. Then, at the checkout itself the place where they then put it is so small you're kinda forced to pull your groceries off there and into your trolley ASAP.

Yeah, it's a bit of a tin foil hat moment...

That is genius when you think about it. Trust the Germans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Monica Peters beside Anvils closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

SuperValu already very quiet since the changeover without dropping another Aldi on their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Monica Peters beside Anvils closing down.

I may be wrong but I think this shop has frequent closing down sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gillymayb

Any idea what's going in on the corner of the castle street shopping centre? Where Hibernian and aviva used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

The rumour here was Starbucks but I haven't heard anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gillymayb

The rumour here was Starbucks but I haven't heard anything since.

Ah ok, seems to have happened very quickly. Saw them working away last night and wall shelving etc seems to be in.
    Also, saw about a year ago that planning permission was sought for a tea rooms at old nationwide building. Has that been rejected or anyone know if that's going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Looks like Starbucks is happening
    www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1397548

• Advertisement

I'd normally be against a coffee chain moving into the town considering how it might impact on local independents but in this case, I think it will bring more people to that area.

When it's busy, people will hopefully gravitate to the Bridge across the road.

It is far enough away (geographically and in terms of quality) from the great Italian coffee shops that the town has.

Advertisement