Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Where is it going to be? Permanent TSB was before my time...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I'd normally be against a coffee chain moving into the town considering how it might impact on local independents but in this case, I think it will bring more people to that area.

When it's busy, people will hopefully gravitate to the Bridge across the road.

It is far enough away (geographically and in terms of quality) from the great Italian coffee shops that the town has.

I don't think a customer of Gusto, Campo or Carpe Diem would go to Starbucks for coffee.

Finbees and Molloy's are the ones who should be worried IMHO.

I think it's a good addition, lots of people complain about Starbucks but they do their shops up nice and the coffee is fine so I'd say it will do well. Brings some jobs to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't think a customer of Gusto, Campo or Carpe Diem would go to Starbucks for coffee.

Finbees and Molloy's are the ones who should be worried IMHO.

I think it's a good addition, lots of people complain about Starbucks but they do their shops up nice and the coffee is fine so I'd say it will do well. Brings some jobs to the town.

I certainly wouldn't move from Carpe or Gusto. Molloy's seem to have their own particular customer so I'd guess Finbees could be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I thought starbucks was going into the old National Irish Bank on Quinsboro Road

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thargor wrote: »
    Where is it going to be? Permanent TSB was before my time...

Don't get this.

Permanent TSB are on the Main Street and don't sell coffee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh sorry, meant Hibernian and Aviva, trying to picture where Starbucks will be...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gillymayb

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh sorry, meant Hibernian and Aviva, trying to picture where Starbucks will be...

On the corner where Supervalu is. The side nearest the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

gillymayb wrote: »
    On the corner where Supervalu is. The side nearest the bridge.

The Starbucks sign was up on the unit this morning. It will be interesting to see how it fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gillymayb

The Starbucks sign was up on the unit this morning. It will be interesting to see how it fares.

It will do well during the summer with students going in for the free wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Whats going into the old NIB then?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 geewiz

Hm. I was looking forward to a local Starbucks for more than a year now (typical IT guy working remotely) but since they took their time, I've made the Bridge Cafe my regular spot. It's a nice and friendly place. That it's now them being in the blast radius of Starbucks instead of the Finbees competition (if SBUX would have taken over the old KFC, for example) actually makes me feel bad.

geewiz wrote: »
    Hm. I was looking forward to a local Starbucks for more than a year now (typical IT guy working remotely) but since they took their time, I've made the Bridge Cafe my regular spot. It's a nice and friendly place. That it's now them being in the blast radius of Starbucks instead of the Finbees competition (if SBUX would have taken over the old KFC, for example) actually makes me feel bad.

Another view point is that Starbucks attracts more people to that end of the town and discover The Bridge Cafe across the street!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Starbucks coffee is lukewarm and overrated. I wont be giving them any custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Whats going into the old NIB then?

I heard it is another chinese however I also heard from the same person that starbucks was going into City 2. So not overly reliable there....

keano_afc wrote: »

Always hear that complaint about their coffee.

Truth is that coffee should never be served boiling. Espresso machines don't boil water 100 degrees and it's never served boiling in Italy.

Insomnia is the worst chain for that and the coffee is too hot and therefore tastes awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

geewiz wrote: »

Oh I really hope the Bridge won't be affected - it's such a nice place. It's a lot cheaper than starbucks too! It's a great place for going with babies and toddlers too with the little play area - I won't be abandoning it for starbucks anyway!

Might check the Bridge out. Haven't been in that building since it was McCormacks having pints waiting for the coach to Cluseaus.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

keano_afc wrote: »

It's a teenage girl coffee shop. Look at the one in Dundrum....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Might check the Bridge out. Haven't been in that building since it was McCormacks having pints waiting for the coach to Cluseaus.

Cluseau's!!:eek::eek:

You have no idea how old you've just made me feel

• Advertisement

Cluseau's!!:eek::eek:

You have no idea how old you've just made me feel

And to think that people from Bray had to travel to Ashford to go to a night club....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lawerence

Has anyone seen this free paper around Bray.

Its new since last year 2013 a year old or 13 months.

It went from Monthly- then April it went fortnightly and then October
    it went weekly !!

Also started door to door , to give a great new impression

Suddenly it went back to fortnightly and no door to door , but it sells their advertising space as though its weekly, I put a cheap advert in this because it was good value. But got no response in arklow as nobody sees this paper.
    does anyone know really whats going on , is it pretend .

I still get it dropped into the house in Bray. It is a legitimate free newspaper.

North Wicklow Times goes from being printed every week to every two during the summer I think.

As for selling ad space based on it being weekly or bi-weekly, that won't affect the responses to an advert.

There are many reason why people won't respond to an ad.

Is there a new cafe opening up behind McDonalds where the new agents was?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

Lawerence wrote: »

it went weekly !!

Suddenly it went back to fortnightly and no door to door , but it sells their advertising space as though its weekly, I put a cheap advert in this because it was good value. But got no response in arklow as nobody sees this paper.

Definitely a real paper, its usually at Tesco's in Bray and a few other supermarkets, they also hand it out at the DART station in Bray sometimes

Is there a new cafe opening up behind McDonalds where the new agents was?

Yep, walked by there Saturday and they were working on it. Saw the word 'Deli' somewhere.

Please be something decent and not just Paninis and sandwiches, and sausages under hot lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Gamestop is moving to the card shop beside Dubray books, also looks like Monica Peters on the main street is closing down too.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Lawerence wrote: »

it went weekly !!

Gets posted through my letter box once a week in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

murpho999 wrote: »
    Always hear that complaint about their coffee.

Truth is that coffee should never be served boiling. Espresso machines don't boil water 100 degrees and it's never served boiling in Italy.

Insomnia is the worst chain for that and the coffee is too hot and therefore tastes awful.

My favourite coffee of the lot, I have to go to Greytones or Cherrywood to get my fix :D

• Advertisement

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    My favourite coffee of the lot, I have to go to Greytones or Cherrywood to get my fix :D

May I ask why?

Have you never noticed that they coffee is boiling just like tea is?

Plenty of good places in Bray to get good coffee anyway.

Advertisement