Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

zoobizoo wrote: »
    The butchers up at Tesco's is turning into a coffee shop according to the planning permission application

Thats a pity, I liked that butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hopefully the florentine site and heatons will get developed soon.

Is it true that Aldi are going into Heatons' site?

Also, what are the council plans on Florentine? I haven't seen any announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Ledwidge's is now a nail bar....

Ledwidge's is now a nail bar....

Nothing new there!

Sure he was selling nails for years

murpho999 wrote: »
    Nothing new there!

Sure he was selling nails for years

That's if he'd actually sell them to you. . . .

• Advertisement

That's if he'd actually sell them to you. . . .

Yes, very true, he had a tough selection process!

Seriously, though, disappointed it's a nail bar.

People here complain about there being too many coffee places but I think the town has far too many beauticians and hairdressers.

It would have made for a great coffee shop though if they'd left all the stuff in the windows and worked around the old style shop - like Dick Mac's in Dingle.

I remember suggesting it when Owen's was changing to a coffee shop that they retain some of the model airplanes to hang from the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, very true, he had a tough selection process!

Seriously, though, disappointed it's a nail bar.

People here complain about there being too many coffee places but I think the town has far too many beauticians and hairdressers.

Is there really that many?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im still waiting on a pub or even a greasy spoon that doesn't serve hot lamped/microwaved to death overpriced muck, Bray needs a Whetherspoons.

Thargor wrote: »
    Im still waiting on a pub or even a greasy spoon that doesn't serve hot lamped/microwaved to death overpriced muck, Bray needs a Whetherspoons.

Wouldn't call Wetherspoons very good in fairness in relation to food quality.

For pub grub I'd recommend Holland's on the main street. Above pub food standard there in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Or Ocean for a very reasonably priced brunch in a nice setting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

The Strand Hotel is building a new kitchen out back I hear. They are aiming for offering some good pub/restaurant grub. Will definitely try it out when it's up and running. Had some food there a couple of weeks ago (comes from the old kitchen but with new chefs) and was already pleasantly surprised as it was quite nice. I'll have to check out the breakfast there as well when it is on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bray needs a Whetherspoons.

And the latest unconfirmed rumours are that they have purchased Jim Doyles

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Spotted a Game Stop near Dubray, was that always there? It's either opening up soon or closed down.

Its there for years, if you mean this one and not that they're relocating:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.202109,-6.110225,3a,75y,109.15h,78.47t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXn4TesopIPZiRv_2eeNwTw!2e0

Marked as closed on Google Maps though for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Its there for years, if you mean this one and not that they're relocating:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.202109,-6.110225,3a,75y,109.15h,78.47t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXn4TesopIPZiRv_2eeNwTw!2e0

Marked as closed on Google Maps though for some reason...

Ah, I guess they have just relocated down the road - it's now near the Quinsboro road end.

Ah right, must take a look thanks.

fjon wrote: »
    Spotted a Game Stop near Dubray, was that always there? It's either opening up soon or closed down.

The Gamestop shop closed 2-3 weeks ago. They had a sign up saying they were relocating beside Dubray books.

I assumed it would be the cards shop unit rather than the City 2 one which would be too big.

Looked at the weekend and there was no sign of a shop opening and I was thinking it was strange to close one without the new shop being ready unless there was a lease dispute.

EDIT: Just found this on their website store locator page.
    Our Bray store is currently closed. A new improved store will open further down the main street, near Dubray Books opposite the Church steps, we are hoping to have this store open by the 10th of April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I see that the place down at the HArbour- the Boathouse? is opening at night now. The menu is mainly burgers and chips- looks limited but nice. I happened to be down at the harbour yesterday evening (could hardly get parking in fact!) and it was a lovely setting. He said it was only their 2nd night open.

If Bray became a place with nice coffee shops and eateries like Greystones, I would be extremely happy (#wishful thinking)

Now if only they could sort out the traffic.....

So disappointing to have the gorgeous ledwidges shopfront torn down for that ugly monstrosity nail bar

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I see that the place down at the HArbour- the Boathouse? is opening at night now. The menu is mainly burgers and chips- looks limited but nice. I happened to be down at the harbour yesterday evening (could hardly get parking in fact!) and it was a lovely setting. He said it was only their 2nd night open.

If Bray became a place with nice coffee shops and eateries like Greystones, I would be extremely happy (#wishful thinking)

Now if only they could sort out the traffic.....

Dockyard No.8 I presume your refereeing to? Anytime I'm down in that direction it's been busy, fabulous location with no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

So disappointing to have the gorgeous ledwidges shopfront torn down for that ugly monstrosity nail bar

Saw it for the first time the other day and thought exactly the same thing...a shop that had a bit of character and it's replaced with that..ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Couldn't agree more! He'd turn in his grave if he could see it.

Or to paraphrase Grandpa in Only Fools and Horses:

"It's a good thing he died when he did 'cos that would've killed him!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

And yet, while I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment, I couldn't help but imagine himself working in there now....

And yet, while I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment, I couldn't help but imagine himself working in there now....

Some imagination you have!!!!!!

Terry Pratchet

"Nails? Nothing to do with nails here. Now, get out."

I don't like the look of that nail bar at all...awful tacky, but I also wouldn't go as far to call Ledwidge's a beautiful shop either in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would not describe it s beautiful either. To me it was authentic, traditional and certainly enhanced the street.

Crazy to think that they were allowed to rip it out like that without any consideration for the nature of the street.

We've seen it before in Bray though where asthetics seem not to matter. Just look at Smyths on the Florence Road.

The original shop was probably the last of the shops in the town which had a historical look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

It's a shame that this can happen, especially on the Main Street. The Main Street of a town like Bray does a lot to represent the character of the town, and shop fronts like that Nail Bar are damaging. Considering the impact shop fronts can have, it would be an idea for businesses on the Main Street to have to submit shop front plans to a committee before proceeding.

Advertisement