Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I thought that was a real pity, they had the best pizza in Bray. :(

Poor location?? Shame all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I thought that was a real pity, they had the best pizza in Bray. :(

Yes they did a very nice pizza.

Also I had a Spaghetti Carbonara and it was great. Done the Italian way, without cream, as you too often see in "Italian" restaurants outside Italy

Next best Pizza in Bray is the Campo de Fiori Risto market on the seafront.

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Poor location?? Shame all the same.

Absolutely, it's too hidden.

How the charity shop and the flower arranging business there survives is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭George White

Does anyone know whats going into where Nolan's was?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

murpho999 wrote: »
    Absolutely, it's too hidden.

How the charity shop and the flower arranging business there survives is beyond me.

The charity shop has been aroubd decades and has its own niche clientele.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

There's a new Italian opening where Mamma Mia was - one of the chefs from Platform Pizza...

I like the space - interesting and a real local community feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

zoobizoo wrote: »
    There's a new Italian opening where Mamma Mia was - one of the chefs from Platform Pizza...
    That's interesting. I like the food in Platform but would like somewhere a little less hectic and noisy to enjoy it. Will definitely give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Interesting news! Praying for them to have Gluten Free options too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Sounds great! Has Campo stopped doing slices of pizza?

Sounds great! Has Campo stopped doing slices of pizza?

Yep.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yep.

Since when? I got a couple of slices there about 3 weeks ago.

New shop opening up beside AIB where the discount shop used to be - women's clothing.

CEX are opening where Monica Peters was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Where was Monica Peters?

Beside Health Matters and Anvil.

Interesting, thanks. Doubt Ill be using it though, based on the one in Galway its cheaper to buy it new online than secondhand in one of their shops.

Food HQ (formerly simply market, spar, londis) is closing - everything is 2 for the price of 1.

Its turning into a cafe.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Brilliant a cafe is really badly needed

😒

foxy06 wrote: »
    Brilliant a cafe is really badly needed

😒

I know - like another one - the one at the town hall only lasted a month and closed!!

Terry Pratchet

I know - like another one - the one at the town hall only lasted a month and closed!!

WHAT, YEST?

• Advertisement

WHAT, YEST?

Yep - Closed

Terry Pratchet

Yep - Closed

Well that didn't last long. However if it's just a cafe serving typical muffins, panini etc then I'm not surprised.

However, that said I don't know why people are complaining about cafes.

If there's anything that can revive an area and attract people it's good food establishments.

Look how the seafront has transformed with the likes of Campo Risto, Ocean Cafe, Platfrom Pizza, Dockyard No 8. All quality establishments that are enhancing Bray's reputation and not a hot lamp between them unlike greasy spoon places like Gourmet Cafe and Molloys.

The main street badly needs a good place in my opinion. In fairness Holland's Bar has had a good go of it lately but it's not a cafe.

Didn't know that Yest was closed but it never looked appealing and really looked like a step back in time from the outside anyway.

Totally agree with Murph in terms of how good food establishments can raise the profile of a place. Was in Platform last Wednesday and could only be seated at the bar as it was full... same thing happened to a friend the night before. The revival of Strandhill came from the opening of Shells cafe...

I wish the Food HQ luck with their new venture - if they can offer something different and unique, I'll definitely try it out. Same as Mamma Mia - or its new incarnation, I liked it there.

I think Bray people are a bit lazy when it comes to just venturing to somewhere a bit out of their way.

Interesting point re Molloys Murph - if Molloys turned into a decent place to go, it would raise the profile of the area. It would give the area a nice injection of vitality.

The charity shop, formerly the MS shop across from Town Hall, beside Hidden Hearing is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭raler

I think Bray people are a bit lazy when it comes to just venturing to somewhere a bit out of their way.

I don't doubt this is the case, but one thing I've noticed: near 10 times out of 10 I while try for seafront, just to be beside the sea - always a welcoming view.

Never saw anyone buying food in Food HQ even though the menus looked nice. Only way a new cafe would do well is if the undercut the rest, let people eat lunch for a fiver instead of 8 or 9 Euro and at least you'll get the footfall, the whole town is full of empty cafes at the minute.

Thargor wrote: »
    Never saw anyone buying food in Food HQ even though the menus looked nice. Only way a new cafe would do well is if the undercut the rest, let people eat lunch for a fiver instead of 8 or 9 Euro and at least you'll get the footfall, the whole town is full of empty cafes at the minute.

Dockyard has premium pricing and is very successful.

An empty cafe will close quickly so I can only presume that they're all ticking along alright.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Holland's Bar has had a good go of it lately but it's not a cafe.

And thats for sale too

Terry Pratchet

Never saw anyone buying food in Food HQ even though the menus looked nice.

It was nice but then the chef left.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Seriously , what sort of food would you expect to be served for a fiver?

Would turn me right off it as I would doubt the quality.

Fresh ingredients and well prepared is what you want, and more places on the seafront are getting that right.

Advertisement