Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

And thats for sale too

Really, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really, is that true?

Yep, was on a more private commercial property site, not myhome or daft. According to some it has already found a buyer but others say that they are just testing the waters. But definitely being sold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sad news. I hope the staff are kept and changes are kept to a minimum.

Hollands is one of the better pubs in Bray and the best off-licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I can see the seafront and harbour becoming a big draw for people out for a bite to eat and a few beers rather than the main street and mainly because of the effort put in by the establishments down there. It's a shame the main street isn't seeing the same but who knows in future the successes may spill up that way. I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Seriously , what sort of food would you expect to be served for a fiver?

Would turn me right off it as I would doubt the quality.

Fresh ingredients and well prepared is what you want, and more places on the seafront are getting that right.
    Seriously? Sorry to break it to you but I doubt any cafe in Bray puts more than 2 quid worth of ingredients on your plate when you order something simple like a panini or toastie, probably a lot less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

Mrs Maguires had a sign outside today saying it's closing down. I won't miss the shop, but it will be sad to see another empty shop on main street.

Thargor wrote: »
    Seriously? Sorry to break it to you but I doubt any cafe in Bray puts more than 2 quid worth of ingredients on your plate when you order something simple like a panini or toastie, probably a lot less.

Yes, and they don't charge €8 for it like you say so I don't see what your point is.

I think the last thing the main street needs is places offering toasties or panini as I said earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sad news. I hope the staff are kept and changes are kept to a minimum.

Hollands is one of the better pubs in Bray and the best off-licence.

Absolutely. The off licence has a brilliant selection, I dont shop anywhere else for beer.

Yes, and they don't charge €8 for it like you say so I don't see what your point is.

I think the last thing the main street needs is places offering toasties or panini as I said earlier.

I said lunch for 8 euro which includes everything, anywhere that let you get lunch for a fiver would do well, there is going to be a big cull of a lot of these cafes this Winter imo...

I said lunch for 8 euro which includes everything, anywhere that let you get lunch for a fiver would do well, there is going to be a big cull of a lot of these cafes this Winter imo...

OK, let me say it again, I would personally not want to eat in a place that could do a complete lunch for €5. When I do go somewhere for lunch I want something different and of more quality than a panini or toastie which I can simply make myself.

I'd love to know what's going to happen this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Winter is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Are the false fronts on the main street going to be there for our lifetime? Nothing seems to be happening with the florentine site and its a complete eyesore and a waste of space in what should be a prime retail location. Bray will never be able to attract businesses with it in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭raler

What do you think would work on the Main Street ? I’d imagine a Penney’s would do well.

raler wrote: »
    What do you think would work on the Main Street ? I’d imagine a Penney’s would do well.

I think a few more €2 shops, charity shops and beauty salons/hairdressers would do very well. :)

In seriousness, some decent food options as described earlier.

Also, some more male clothes shops, as Allens is the only choice.

Maybe an Argos too.

Would also love for the town to have a cinema again.

Argos came to mind too, but I think stock inventory could be an issue. But I imagine the footfall on the Main Street would shoot up considerably if there was one, and lift any other nascent or existing business. Dundrum is closest and you might as well sticks pins in your eyes contemplating a trip there when most people have the time

raler wrote: »
    Argos came to mind too, but I think stock inventory could be an issue. But I imagine the footfall on the Main Street would shoot up considerably if there was one, and lift any other nascent or existing business. Dundrum is closest and you might as well sticks pins in your eyes contemplating a trip there when most people have the time

Why would inventory be a problem? The likes of the City 2 location would be big enough I'd say.

Also, just curious, what's the issue with going to Dundrum? Many do including myself, and that's one of the reasons why Bray is suffering.

I was thinking -idly - the size of their product base could be an issue, but then Tesco's is pretty big too..

Personally, I find air-conditioned Dundrum insufferable at the weekend and most busy times.

Maybe a complete rethink on this is needed.....

Why not turn the main street was turned into a more residential style area?

The problem that I've seen in towns and cities, once six o'clock comes, is that the places shut down and there's little sign of life. (I know that there's not much sign of life on the main street during the day - but anyone working 9-5 is unlikely to be able to be there).

If the Florentine area was turned into quality apartments it would bring a vibrancy back to the main street. Back in the day, Quinsborough Road was mainly houses - certainly along the cinema side. The cafes and smaller shops would still do well and the extra people would increase demand for bars and restaurants there. I'm thinking the way they have it in Portugal and Spain where there are small cafe bars under apartments.

The main pub and food trade is down the seafront - that's where people gravitate to during the summer, and that is often overlooked when people 'demand' that the Summerfest should spread around the town. But, the summer is only 3/4 months long. And if there were more people living in the main street area, it would bring vibrancy.

I could almost guarantee that if the Duggans opened up a venue on the Main St, that it would be hopping because (a) they invest in their staff, (b) they have the vision that others don't and take risks and (c) because people know they'll get quality.

So rather than empty shops around the town, turn those outlets into townhouses (which they may have been in the past). Seems a no brainer to have rent coming in than none.

Just thinking about two places close by - Greystones and Dalkey... neither have particularly big shops, they have speciality shops which become destination shops that people will travel to. Even Blackrock - there is nothing in the village other than small shops - the Frascati centre has similar shops to Bray main street. Across the way there's a Roches (whatever it's called now) but it has a wide hinterland and lots of passing traffic / footfall. One shop, Cloney Audio springs to mind - a speciality shop that is a countrywide brand.

I also think it would be great to alter the City 2 building on the Florence Road side to open up the area a bit more - it used to have a pub there with entrances on both sides. That big wall opposite Vance's shoe repairs deadens that area completely.

If the church would sell up and open up that area to apartments as well, just think how that would alter the town's landscape. Sure there's not much demand for that any more and they are still open :)

OK, let me say it again, I would personally not want to eat in a place that could do a complete lunch for €5. When I do go somewhere for lunch I want something different and of more quality than a panini or toastie which I can simply make myself.

I'd love to know what's going to happen this winter.
    Seriously? All the tourists and visitors disappear and business plunges, any of them barely staying afloat now will be finished, the only ones that could actually be called busy now are the new greasy spoon on the Main St and the one beside the aquarium.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Maybe a complete rethink on this is needed.....
    Why not turn the main street was turned into a more residential style area?

It's for the same reason that I thought those new town houses behind the Mermaid Arts centre would be good when I first saw them.. I agree, more residential property would help a lot I think

• Advertisement

Seriously? All the tourists and visitors disappear and business plunges, any of them barely staying afloat now will be finished, the only ones that could actually be called busy now are the new greasy spoon on the Main St and the one beside the aquarium.

What makes this winter any different from last winter or the one before.

The Italian places are thriving... Prelude is busy.... Molloys and Liz Anne's have been there for years....

I tried to get a table in Platform on a Wednesday at 7pm and couldnt' as it was so busy... same thing happened to a pal the night before.

Do you have this info from cafe owners or are you just speculating?

Good for you but the season is currently Summer and Platform pizza is a restaurant not a café so not sure what your argument is...

I also included cafes in that...

I'll ask again: Do you have this info from cafe owners or are you just speculating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

So the Council bought where Dixons' was just to add a fake shopfront...
    Eejits

'Box Burger' adjacent to Platform taking shape. Hollywood/cinema styling at front. Looks good. It's just a pity its not further along the seafront just to spread the love a bit

I also included cafes in that...

I'll ask again: Do you have this info from cafe owners or are you just speculating?

Of course I do, I went around to every cafe in the town and demanded to see their books.

Of course I do, I went around to every cafe in the town and demanded to see their books.

So you're just making things up. Good on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Too much bickering in this thread! I'd prefer just be reading about new businesses in Bray!!!

Where's this burger place on the seafront then? Is Box burger going into where the bar section of Ocean is or taking part of Ocean restaurant or further down again?

Agreed.

It's in the Bar Section and then some... Not taking any part of Ocean as they've changed their entrance to the middle.

Had a peak in the other night and it was looking pretty funky.

Good on the Duggans for having the belief and vision to invest in the town yet again.

Check out pics on their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/BoxBurgerBray?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Agreed.

It's in the Bar Section and then some... Not taking any part of Ocean as they've changed their entrance to the middle.

Had a peak in the other night and it was looking pretty funky.

Good on the Duggans for having the belief and vision to invest in the town yet again.

Check out pics on their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/BoxBurgerBray?fref=ts

Facebook page looks good, looking forward to trying it out. Is it upstairs above Ocean/ Platform?

As someone else said though it's a shame it's not at another location to entice people a bit further along the beach. Platform, Ocean, Harbour Bar and Dockyard already draw a lot of people looking for food/ drinks to north side of the seafront, it would be good to have something on the southern end.

Advertisement