Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Box burger looks good (a more trendy bunsen, which is just a trendy in-n-out burger), hopefully they won't have the same awful music levels as Platform does though. It's impossible to chat to people in Platform without shouting your head off despite the person next to you being 20cms away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

fjon wrote: »
    Is it upstairs above Ocean/ Platform?

It's right in between them and extends out the back.

The family own the property so it makes sense to maximise its use.

What would be really cool would be the takeover of the Bray Head Hotel, turn it into a boutique hotel with cool restaurant / bar / lounge / club....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's some job they have done on 'Box Burger'.

So this means the entire building is now food orientated with drink being secondary.

Big turn around to the old "Dug inn' back in its day which was one of the roughest pubs in Bray in the eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

zoobizoo wrote: »
    So you're just making things up. Good on ya.
    Lol that tends to be the case with most predictions, they get made by the person making them, stay out of the economics board if it upsets you. I observe several properties in the area from main street to Albert Walk failing and changing hands so often they must be putting some sign makers and shopfitters kids through college and this is in the Summer during a spell of good weather so I made a prediction that this Winter would be a harsh one for all these generic overpriced cafes we have at the minute when the visitors dry up, we'll see if my prediction comes true or not, I wouldn't have bothered if Id known people were going to get so emotional about it.

Thargor wrote: »
    Lol that tends to be the case with most predictions, they get made by the person making them, stay out of the economics board if it upsets you. I observe several properties in the area from main street to Albert Walk failing and changing hands so often they must be putting some sign makers and shopfitters kids through college and this is in the Summer during a spell of good weather so I made a prediction that this Winter would be a harsh one for all these generic overpriced cafes we have at the minute when the visitors dry up, we'll see if my prediction comes true or not, I wouldn't have bothered if Id known people were going to get so emotional about it.

Seriously, what over priced cafes are you referring to?

The weather hasn't been that great, and that would bring visitors to the seafront anyway, not the main street , so which cafes do you mean? Also how come they have survived the last 6-7 years of recession but won't get through this winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Country and Bray is starting to see light at the end of the tunnel but there are quite a few established Bray businesses that might fall just before the finish line (Pardon my mixed Metaphors :D ) ie. Managing to survive through the worst of the downturn but finally running out of reserves before consumer spending salvation arrives as banks continue to strangle them of credit.

Re. Bray Head Hotel. I know nothing of Jonnie Cummins' health but himself and Bride are quite advanced in years at this stage. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't on the market within 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The new restaurant where Mamma Mia's used to be appears to be up- and running. Anyone tried it yet?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Divino-AMORE-BRAY/445432425637474

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Alun wrote: »
    The new restaurant where Mamma Mia's used to be appears to be up- and running. Anyone tried it yet?

Not yet but will definitely try it now that I know Daniele is working there! Great lad.

Great, they have smartened it up as well. Looking forward to trying it.

Old place had great food but was very messy in my opinion.

Every time I went in, they tables had not been cleared even though staff would be around. Table would only be cleared when you sat at one. Happened more than once so was not just a busy period.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Yes, I have recently eaten in both Box Burger and Vio Amore?

Box Burger:
    Nice, I felt a bit old (I am 43) as the music was too loud but hey! There were tables away from the speakers.
    Set up for the young ones, tables have usb sockets for charging your phone and in some booths, play your own music.
    Food;
    Nice, burgers, good bite in the meat etc, chips and the like come as an extra side. Chicken wings looked good. A good kids menu.
    Staff were excellent, lively, competent and prompt.

Vio Amore:
    Again great food, great service and a kids menu, that makes sense. Meals that would not shame a Roman. Can be very busy at times so worth booking.

I will be back again to both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's a shame about Box Burger .. sounds like a clone of Platform Pizza in terms of target demographics and decor. Don't think I'll bother.

DiVino Amore sounds good though, must give that a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

New doggy daycare Barking Buddies opened at the start of June (it was Bray dog grooming but opened under new management).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I see on Facebook that CeX (2nd hand Electronics & Video Game store) are opening a branch in Bray.

Have found that they offer a lot more than Gamestop when trading in games so nice to have them local!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Dicker's has closed seemingly for good now the owner's died.
    Another Bray mainstay gone :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dicker's has closed seemingly for good now the owner's died.
    Another Bray mainstay gone :(.

Really?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Really?

Yes, Mr Dicker passed away: http://rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=261608/Edwin%20Raymond%20%28Ray%29DICKER/Bray/Wicklow

I thought the son posted something on FB about his Dad's passing. Are they not taking it over/is Mrs Dicker not continuing?

Tried Box Burger the other night and really liked it.

Bar at the front it is nice and bright and had an older clientelle. Didn't find the music in anyway intrusive. Food was good and service was excellent. Really friendly and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Preusse wrote: »
    Yes, Mr Dicker passed away: http://rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=261608/Edwin%20Raymond%20%28Ray%29DICKER/Bray/Wicklow

I thought the son posted something on FB about his Dad's passing. Are they not taking it over/is Mrs Dicker not continuing?

No, I know Ray Dicker died. I just hadn't heard the shop is closed for good. In fact I'm not sure it is and it wouldn't surprise me if Mary Dicker insisted on keeping it open.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No, I know Ray Dicker died. I just hadn't heard the shop is closed for good. In fact I'm not sure it is and it wouldn't surprise me if Mary Dicker insisted on keeping it open.

At the moment the shop front has all the usual items removed and replaced by old/nostalgia items that used to be sold in the shop together with some paper clippings etc. about the history. It may close down after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Preusse wrote: »
    At the moment the shop front has all the usual items removed and replaced by old/nostalgia items that used to be sold in the shop together with some paper clippings etc. about the history. It may close down after all.

Had a look at this today. Very interesting and it was attracting quite a lot of interest. To think the old gadgets in the window are still in existence. This window display is a credit to whoever is responsible but I particularly like the album sleeve from "The Gallowglas Ceili Band", perhaps because they were a favourite of my late father.

I'd recommend taking a trip to see this display.

• Advertisement

Have visitors this weekend and they want to take us for something to eat tomorrow night.
    They have 2 kids aged around 2 and 6.

Would places along the seafront let people in with kids at that hour? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

murpho999 wrote: »
    Have visitors this weekend and they want to take us for something to eat tomorrow night.
    They have 2 kids aged around 2 and 6.

Would places along the seafront let people in with kids at that hour? Any ideas?

What time? I've had kids in Platform at around 6pm

fjon wrote: »
    What time? I've had kids in Platform at around 6pm

I would say 6-7ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I would say 6-7ish.

Ok, like I said I've had kids that age in Platform, and I've also had them in Hollands. I think it's still early enough that it won't be an issue. If you were eating at 8 it might be a problem.

best of luck trying to get a table at platform at 6pm on a saturday for a large group.

Murph, try the new Italian place mentioned a couple of posts back, it's barely opened a month, might be easier to get a table and first impressions seem good!

The law re kids in licenced premises is under 15 they have to be out by 9pm (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

best of luck trying to get a table at platform at 6pm on a saturday for a large group.

Murph, try the new Italian place mentioned a couple of posts back, it's barely opened a month, might be easier to get a table and first impressions seem good!

The law re kids in licenced premises is under 15 they have to be out by 9pm (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html)

It's 10pm in the summer.

Platform or Box Burger are perfect for kids - they both have good kids menus.

sorry should have stated that in my post, also fixed broken link

Platform is great for kids (wasn't suggesting not to go there) just think it might be difficult to get a table on short notice. I was in there last night at 7pm and the place was rammed (on a thursday).

Thanks to everyone, I know how busy Platform gets, but might give that a try and also Box Burger.

The Italian off the main st is a good shout too.

Was also thinking that Campo could be an option too.

Thanks to everyone, I know how busy Platform gets, but might give that a try and also Box Burger.

The Italian off the main st is a good shout too.

Was also thinking that Campo could be an option too.

And don't forget the old classic Pizzas & Cream if you've got a big group

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    And don't forget the old classic Pizzas & Cream if you've got a big group

Yes, had thought of that too. Think it's gone down a bit myself.

Anyhow decision made. Rang Divino Amore Bray, which is the new Mamma Mia and table booked for 7 and kids are no problem.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Might post my review of new restaurant here after.

Advertisement