Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Beau Peep on Quinsborough Road becoming a sweetshop.

Great, we've come full circle now. Sweet shops to be the new fad...again...until coffee shops replace them...and on it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Strider wrote: »
    Great, we've come full circle now. Sweet shops to be the new fad...again...until coffee shops replace them...and on it goes.

Yes, it's as if anyone starting up a new business in Bray does absolutely no market research as to what's been there before and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There's a new restaurant thats almost open (or maybe open?) at the old council offices in front of the mermaid

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Retail giant Tiger will be opening in Bray... not sure where but they are looking for staff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

There's a new restaurant thats almost open (or maybe open?) at the old council offices in front of the mermaid
    Is the coffee shop closed?

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Retail giant Tiger will be opening in Bray... not sure where but they are looking for staff

Hmmm, first I've heard of them to be honest. Maybe I should get out of my cave more often ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Alun wrote: »
    Hmmm, first I've heard of them to be honest. Maybe I should get out of my cave more often ... :D

Brilliant little shops. Half the teenage population of Wicklow will be there and I won't have to go to Dun Laoghaire for my fix anymore!

Now get back in your cave ....

Reads, Costa, Tiger, Dealz, Starbucks, Wigoders - things seem to be looking up somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Brilliant little shops. Half the teenage population of Wicklow will be there and I won't have to go to Dun Laoghaire for my fix anymore!

Now get back in your cave ....
    What do you buy in them? Tbh I rate them as the strangest chain on the High Street, zero idea where their success comes from, every time I walk around one I just leave confused. I could see a website and a warehouse selling tiger stuff to succeed but I have no idea how they pull off the high street model especially with retail dying on its ass.

Thargor wrote: »
    What do you buy in them? Tbh I rate them as the strangest chain on the High Street, zero idea where their success comes from, every time I walk around one I just leave confused. I could see a website and a warehouse selling tiger stuff to succeed but I have no idea how they pull off the high street model especially with retail dying on its ass.

Well they are Danish and if you like the Scandi products that are cheap/useful then they are great. Brilliant for presents, cards, stationary, candles, kitchen stuff, storage. It's quirky, useful and cheap!

• Advertisement

I do suspect that middle-aged males may walk around confused though :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I do suspect that middle-aged males may walk around confused though

I walk around all shops in a daze...

I don't walk around shops at all ... I plan my purchases with military precision, check they've got what I want first, go in, get what I'm looking for, pay and get out as quickly as humanely possible. Shopping as an activity in and of itself is something I just don't get I'm afraid.

Going into the old City 2 building... great to see that unit being filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deadly stuff. I looooooove tiger.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Yes, it's as if anyone starting up a new business in Bray does absolutely no market research as to what's been there before and failed.
    Same people who had Allsorts in the arcade and a couple of other locations

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thargor wrote: »

What's so strange about them, they sell various items for the home or personal use with a product line that is not static but changing.
    It's good to see something different opening in Bray and bring back some vitality to the Main Street.

Also, who in Ireland calls towns as having a High Street? This shop will be on Bray Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Going into the old City 2 building... great to see that unit being filled.
    Is that Tiger you're talking about? Certain it's that building?

That's what I've heard... although it does seem a bit big

I don't walk around shops at all ... I plan my purchases with military precision, check they've got what I want first, go in, get what I'm looking for, pay and get out as quickly as humanely possible. Shopping as an activity in and of itself is something I just don't get I'm afraid.

I try to do that but then get distracted by all the stuff I might need - particularly in Woodies (ooh... hammers!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

murpho999 wrote: »
    who in Ireland calls towns as having a High Street?
    Its a business model not a specific place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Any word on the possible Wetherspoons down the beach?

I read something about it a while back and was thinking of going when I'm back at Christmas.

Any word on the possible Wetherspoons down the beach?

I read something about it a while back and was thinking of going when I'm back at Christmas.

Nothing so far, and I hope it never happens.

Been to the one in Dun Laoghaire, souless place, poor service, bad food and you can't sit at the bar.

I don't want Irish pubs to follow that English model regardless of the cheaper drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Nothing so far, and I hope it never happens.

Been to the one in Dun Laoghaire, souless place, poor service, bad food and you can't sit at the bar.

I don't want Irish pubs to follow that English model regardless of the cheaper drink.

I think some of your bad points are actually quite good points:

• souless place = No poxy music or telly so you can chat easily .
    • you can't sit at the bar = You can get to the Bar without eejits blocking the place.
    • cheaper drink = Speaks for itself
    As for the food, I'd disagree with you, the food is Bar food, not Michelin Star tripe, so for €8 - 9 for a Burger, chips and a pint it's good value.

The service I'll give you can be hit and miss

21/25

I like to have the option.

I'd keep going to Duffs, The Harbour, The Martello and the Porter but I'd like the option to go for a cheap pint the odd time.

Was asked to leave Finbees the other week. I had been walking by after picking up a take away coffee in Carpe Diem and spotted a friend in there with a group of ten.

Manager came over: "I have to ask you to leave" "oh why?" ... because I had a Carpe Cup.... seemed a bit silly. I didn't bother protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

I like to have the option.

I'd keep going to Duffs, The Harbour, The Martello and the Porter but I'd like the option to go for a cheap pint the odd time.

Was asked to leave Finbees the other week. I had been walking by after picking up a take away coffee in Carpe Diem and spotted a friend in there with a group of ten.

Manager came over: "I have to ask you to leave" "oh why?" ... because I had a Carpe Cup.... seemed a bit silly. I didn't bother protesting.

That seems more than a bit silly, especially if your friends were already in there. If you went in alone, with a take away cup from somewhere else....ok. But your situation there, is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Apparently Vincent's at the top of Town Hall is closing down, as they don't need two charity shops, even though when it opened, they told me they did.
    Apparently, a Chinese company have bought next door's premises.

uch wrote: »
    I think some of your bad points are actually quite good points:

• souless place = No poxy music or telly so you can chat easily .
    • you can't sit at the bar = You can get to the Bar without eejits blocking the place.
    • cheaper drink = Speaks for itself
    As for the food, I'd disagree with you, the food is Bar food, not Michelin Star tripe, so for €8 - 9 for a Burger, chips and a pint it's good value.

The service I'll give you can be hit and miss

I don't mind no music or TV but the pubs don't have a normal pub vibe in my opinion.

I like to sit at a bar, and I find it strange that you can't.
    The problem of people blocking the bar could be solved by providing proper waiting service where they take your order from the table and they don't do that.
    As for the staff, awful. All untrained kids who process one drink at a time and let queues form unlike proper bar people.

The food is very average, not really prepped on site, just heated there. Many pubs in Ireland are serving better fare.
    The only plus for me is the cheaper pint, and they could shake up the market with that but I just don't want to see all pubs in Ireland follow this large chain model.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The one drink at a time thing really annoys me about spoons. I do however like that they have beers that you cannot simply get anywhere else in Ireland. It's certainly a different experience that the likes of Hollands or Duffs or Porterhouse. I'll still pick the traditional boozer over a spoons any day, still nice to have spoons as an option however.

• Advertisement

I do however like that they have beers that you cannot simply get anywhere else in Ireland.

assuming they have them in stock, which they frequently don't (by all accounts, I've only been to the DL branch once).

Anyway Spoons haven't been slow to announce when they've acquired a new site, and they've said nothing about Bray so it's all just conjecture so far.

Advertisement