Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I like to have the option.

Manager came over: "I have to ask you to leave" "oh why?" ... because I had a Carpe Cup.... seemed a bit silly. I didn't bother protesting.

In fairness, it's standard policy for most food and drink establishments to only allow food and drink purchased on the premises to be consumed onsite. Where do you draw the line otherwise?...there's Johnny inside, I'll just bring in my takeaway Abrakebabra donor kebab with me and sit down at the table while I chat to him... Oh look there's Mary outside eating a Subway sandwich in the rain, come in and join us!!! :D Exaggerated example I know but I can see where management are coming from.

Not sure about litigation issues also, if you spilled your coffee from elsewhere on the floor and someone slips...who's responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can we redirect this back on topic please?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

From the Bray Open Forum Page:

Tiger due to open in Bray, New Shoe Shop opening on Novara Road, Antique Shop meant to be opening beside Dealz, - in the last few months Costa Coffee, Wigoders, Dealz, Pebblescafe and beauticians also on the vevay, new blind/shutters shop in the Castle Street Centre,new sweet shop & Starbucks have opened…. things in the town seem to be picking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

The El Greco Greek restaurant on Main Street closed last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dr Strange wrote: »
    That's a shame. Mind you, whenever I've been there, I've rarely seen more than 3 or 4 tables occupied.

• Advertisement

Aaaawww

I dunno I just think because its upstairs people dont see it and they miss passingby trade.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I dunno I just think because its upstairs people dont see it and they miss passingby trade.
    I think you're right, although to be honest in the evenings on the Main St., especially in winter, there isn't much in the way of "passing by" being done at all, which is a lot of the problem. The other problem is the premises itself, too big, and probably with a ridiculous rent to match as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 patreckheanney

This is my first post but bare with me for this:
    Things Bray Needs:
    A Cinema
    The Luas
    Proper Thai Restaurant
    Bus to Tallaght
    DART extension to Airport
    Pedestrianised Town Centre???
    I will add more but can't think that well atm.

This is my first post but bare with me for this:
    Things Bray Needs:
    A Cinema
    The Luas
    Proper Thai Restaurant
    Bus to Tallaght
    DART extension to Airport
    Pedestrianised Town Centre???
    I will add more but can't think that well atm.

Or a roof on Quinsboro Rd as Fergal Quinn suggested 6 years ago

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

That is a huge pity, I really liked their food and thought it was a great addition to Bray. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

That is a huge pity, I really liked their food and thought it was a great addition to Bray. :(

I know, it was great to finally have a place to go to for a decent gyros and tzatziki. And now it's gone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Things Bray needs:

Luas
    10 minute Darts
    Commuters to Wicklow/Arklow/Wexford every 30 mins
    an I.T.
    Cinema
    Pedestrianisation of the Main Street
    84 to Newcastle every 30 mins
    At least 3 more Nightclubs
    A shopping centre on the Main St.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Deffo more Coffee, Pound, & Charity Shops are needed..

Cinema is badly needed Pennys would make a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Deffo more Coffee, Pound, & Charity Shops are needed..

And perhaps a barbers would be a novelty :rolleyes:

Agree 100% about Penneys though. I remember many years ago when I worked in Dun Laoghaire. When the Stena Explorer docked all the crew, who were Welsh for the best part, would run up in high viz jackets to Penneys, do a bit of a trolley dash and back to the boat. Regular occurrence

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where would Penney's locate though as they are usually large stores. City 2 is largest location I can think of, but may not be big enough.

Bray needs a proper shopping centre in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I was thinking the other day. How about an Argos? There isn't one that close by - Dun Laoghaire, and Dundrum. And they often survive in close proximity e.g. Ilac and Jervis, Dundrum and Nutgrove, Liffey Valley /Tallaght /Blanch.

It would do well with Bray's demographic, and it would hopefully encourage further larger retail. Possible locations - Southern Cross in some long heralded shopping centre, next to Lidl in Industrial Yarns, City 2 might have worked if tiger wasn't going there (huge store space for them. Strange ), or where Dealz went. Another option might be when they finally level that disgusting cash and carry eyesore. What must visitors think when they come in to bray and see the state of Station Road?

If we get an Argos we might finally get a Penneys!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where would Penney's locate though as they are usually large stores. City 2 is largest location I can think of, but may not be big enough.

Bray needs a proper shopping centre in my opinion.

The unit beside Lidl in the Industrial Yarns i think would be big enough
    Or another retail park on the Southern cross where Superquinn was supposed to go before the recession.

Looks like this is open for business at the Royal Hotel.

9i928n.jpg

Weird to see an American style "Irish Bar" open in Bray.

Mmmmmm, classy (not!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

murpho999 wrote: »
    Looks like this is open for business at the Royal Hotel.

35ckglh.jpg

Weird to see an American style open in Bray.

Curious to see what it's like. I'll probably try it out over Christmas some time. While I'm sure it's not going to take away any business from the more foodie places on the seafront it could serve a purpose.
    If anyone goes report back here!

• Advertisement

fjon wrote: »
    If anyone goes report back here!
    Looking at the description of the place on their website it sounds like my idea of purgatory, so don't expect a report from me :)

Yes, there were barmen there but no customers it. Maybe the opening is tonight.

Lots of TVs and lots of silver metal.

Might be a good place for a burger and watch a match but doesn't look like a local pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

It's not a pub, "it's an experience". Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I read on Facebook else local paper that tomorrow is opening night

There was some guy on East Coast FM this afternoon going on about it too, along with the owner of the hotel. What made me laugh was when he said they had a "5 star chef".

To quote the website ..."Our menu includes classic dishes such as; Irish Stew, Beer Battered Fish and Chips, the ‘Full Irish’ Breakfast and signature McGettigan’s favourites such as the ‘Buffalo Hot Wings’, ‘Atlantic Salmon’ and ‘Beef and Guinness Puff Pastry Pie’."

5 star fare indeed :rolleyes:

Alun wrote: »
    There was some guy on East Coast FM this afternoon going on about it too, along with the owner of the hotel. What made me laugh was when he said they had a "5 star chef".

To quote the website ..."Our menu includes classic dishes such as; Irish Stew, Beer Battered Fish and Chips, the ‘Full Irish’ Breakfast and signature McGettigan’s favourites such as the ‘Buffalo Hot Wings’, ‘Atlantic Salmon’ and ‘Beef and Guinness Puff Pastry Pie’."

5 star fare indeed :rolleyes:

Wow the menu sounds amazing

I hope they have plastic laminated menus with photos as well.

I think they'll have Chocolate Fudge Brownie as a dessert too.

It's not a pub, "it's an experience". Apparently.

As in you get your bill, pay, put it down to experience and don't go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is it cheap? Thats the only way I can see them succeeding. I think a lot of people would be embarrassed to go in there tbh, "McGettigans" is pure cringe, never met anyone with that name...

Thargor wrote: »
    Is it cheap? Thats the only way I can see them succeeding. I think a lot of people would be embarrassed to go in there tbh, "McGettigans" is pure cringe, never met anyone with that name...

Don''t think it will be cheap at all, they are not Wetherspoons (Don't meet many of them either).

The name is ok as it's from a real person, it's just the whole concept I don't like.

In fact a person actually called "McGettigan" commented on their facebook page.

See Comments Here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The people that own the hotel group are the McGettigans as far as I know

Advertisement