Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah thats good, I thought it was some patronising American sh1te, especially with that 4 leaf clover.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

12341324_786159321512712_3987815804711063420_n.jpg?oh=5cbdfe5da65ae14b590b0e7abe8ea3b0&oe=56E8522E

Katie Taylor opening the bar tonight

I think that''s Mr McGettigan with the awful wig.

Ha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

murpho999 wrote: »
    In fact a person actually called "McGettigan" commented on their facebook page.

See Comments Here.

What an extraordinary coincidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

What an extraordinary coincidence!

Well, it was in response to someone tagging them and asking "Is this pub anything related to you McGettigans?"

I don't get all the negativity about it on here.

It's a hotel bar that none of us have been in yet (presumably) - not my type of place but I wouldn;t knock it until I had tried it.

They have bars in New York, Singapore and throughout the Middle East and are opening up in London too. It may not be your thing but at least it's a company willing to invest in the town and willing to invest on the Main Street.

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Well, it was in response to someone tagging them and asking "Is this pub anything related to you McGettigans?"

I don't get all the negativity about it on here.

It's a hotel bar that none of us have been in yet (presumably) - not my type of place but I wouldn;t knock it until I had tried it.

They have bars in New York, Singapore and throughout the Middle East and are opening up in London too. It may not be your thing but at least it's a company willing to invest in the town and willing to invest on the Main Street.

I don't get all the negativity either.

The only thing I don't get is that it looks like an international Irish themed bar and it's in Ireland. It does seem somewhat cheesy.

One appealing thing for me is that it's a sports bar and sometimes it's nice to watch a match in a properly set up bar as some are not so good.

As you say though, it's bringing jobs etc and it may be successful and hopefully become an addition to the Main St area.

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah thats good, I thought it was some patronising American sh1te, especially with that 4 leaf clover.

You mean the three leaf Shamrock on their logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is it cheap? Thats the only way I can see them succeeding. I think a lot of people would be embarrassed to go in there tbh, "McGettigans" is pure cringe, never met anyone with that name...

The food menu isn't cheap and its very limited and boring.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

The food menu isn't cheap and its very limited and boring.

I was hoping for something like a Wetherspoons, but it definitely isn't that. Reminds me of Brannigans which used to be in Dundrum.
    I'm ok with something new opening and creating jobs, and I hope they get enough customers. I'm sure I'll go once and never again though.
    I drove past last night and I'm glad it's tucked away into a corner as that bright green light is particularly tacky.

fjon wrote: »
    I was hoping for something like a Wetherspoons, but it definitely isn't that. Reminds me of Brannigans which used to be in Dundrum.
    I'm ok with something new opening and creating jobs, and I hope they get enough customers. I'm sure I'll go once and never again though.
    I drove past last night and I'm glad it's tucked away into a corner as that bright green light is particularly tacky.

I really don't like Wetherspoons, the only good thing about them is cheaper drink and that can attract the wrong crowd.

Don't think McGettigan's will be much better and agree totally about the signage being tacky. I cycle by it every night and the heritage centre now has a green glow on it as it if were St Patrick's Day!

Food menu does not look great, very predictable and unimaginative and no doubt will be pricey.

Don't want to see our traditional Irish pubs being eroded which is what chain pubs can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Don't want to see our traditional Irish pubs being eroded which is what chain pubs can do.

It's a hotel bar - they're nearly all terrible. Plenty of good pubs in Bray including the best pub in the world (or whatever award they won) at the harbour. We'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Don't really get all the negativity either.

Haven't darkened the doors of the Royal Hotel in years but might drop in to check out the new place. Can't see me drinking or eating there regularly but it's definitely a step up on what was there previously.

Being a chain, albeit a family owned one (I believe), might mean that they will try to get a decent type of crowd in there (a concern I also had regarding Wetherspoons), so as not to tarnish the brand.

Will wait to see if it is a major positive to Bray but can't see it being a negative anyway.

Also, in respect of the name, I've a friend with the same surname whose family have lived in Bray for generations so it's not that uncommon. He's also not related to the people who own this hotel!

Would be great if the building opposite side of the road was done up - looks awful.

Anyone know what's going on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

The shamrock and the green glow is too cheesy.
    I was laughing at the spokesman on the radio, "most Irish pubs are Foster and Allen, but we're the Coronas, the Script, Kodaline."
    Err, the Coronas don't bathe in a green glow.
    Unlike Foster and Allen.

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's a hotel bar - they're nearly all terrible. Plenty of good pubs in Bray including the best pub in the world (or whatever award they won) at the harbour. We'll be fine.

Well I think they are trying to make it more than a hotel bar with it's in your face signage and lighting. It's definitely trying to attract passing trade and local clientèle rather than a sterile bar catering just to hotel guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Yes, even down to them saying, "it's not an Irish pub. It's an Irish experience."
    The trouble though is the menu is the same as abroad. Now, that menu would work with prices and all as they don't have that kind of food in Dubai, but in Ireland, when that food is common, I am not sure it will work.

Would be great if the building opposite side of the road was done up - looks awful.

Which building?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

It's probably in Nama tbh. It used to be a bank

Which building?

Used to be a toyshop back in the 80s.... last business there was a takeaway pizza place. Has a broken window.

Used to be a toyshop back in the 80s.... last business there was a takeaway pizza place. Has a broken window.

I know the one you mean. I love the charm of the name and the three pawnbroker balls still on it

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

They're working on the old City 2 building.... caught sight of it through the door this morning. Think they might even have a stairwell leading upstairs!!!!!!!

If they're getting rid of the old Pizzaland chairs, I'll talk 'em

They're working on the old City 2 building.... caught sight of it through the door this morning. Think they might even have a stairwell leading upstairs!!!!!!!

If they're getting rid of the old Pizzaland chairs, I'll talk 'em

Isn't that going to become a 'Tiger'? They'll probably accessorise the chairs and sell them on.

This will be one of the biggest Tigers in the country if they fit out all of City2 nevermind the upstairs, wonder if they're trying to get in in time for some Christmas trade?

This will be one of the biggest Tigers in the country if they fit out all of City2 nevermind the upstairs?

I thought that myself - a flagship store that would attract people into the town.

Here's hoping.

Is Tiger that popular though? It's not exactly Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is Tiger that popular though? It's not exactly Ikea.
    Yes, I'd never even heard of them until I Google'd them. Looks like a slightly up-market Scandi version of the €2 stores. Certainly won't attract me in, for sure.

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, I'd never even heard of them until I Google'd them. Looks like a slightly up-market Scandi version of the €2 stores. Certainly won't attract me in, for sure.

Well they are getting bigger, and it seems to appeal to the ladies (no sexism intended).

Good for the town to get a store like this that is not a bad food option or a €2 shop.

Well they are getting bigger, and it seems to appeal to the ladies (no sexism intended).

Good for the town to get a store like this that is not a bad food option or a €2 shop.
    They're always busy but I struggle to see what draws people in, it is the absolute definition of tat, just that some of it is made from wood and has funny IKEA Scandanavian names.

They're always busy but I struggle to see what draws people in, it is the absolute definition of tat, just that some of it is made from wood and has funny IKEA Scandanavian names.

They obviously sell stuff that people like and their product line changes all the time.

I think that's the draw, people go in not knowing what they want or what they will see and end up buying something that they were not planning on.

Hopefully it succeeds in Bray and lasts a long time there. I'm hoping to see an upturn in the streets fortunes. Nothing looks worse than a shuttered shop during business hours on a Main Street (well apart form the Florentine facade monstrosity).

• Advertisement

Its not tat at all though. Theres a lot of quirky different kind of stuff. Its much better quality than pound shops. I really can't understand Tigers detractors at all.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement