Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

I bought a blue plastic serving spoon in Tiger for 10 kroner, the then equivalent of about 1.25 euro. It's bloody invincible. I like them for random kitchen stuff. It's quirky. They are really popular and I can see the Bray store thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

New bookshop at Castle Street Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

New bookshop at Castle Street Centre.
    A normal one or is it religious or a charity shop or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I know the one you mean. I love the charm of the name and the three pawnbroker balls still on it

Say what now? Are you talking about the building next to Anne Ferris office? was a pub then Irish Nationwide /irish national bank (something like that? )
    I've never noticed the pawnbrokers symbol; will definitely have to go take a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Say what now? Are you talking about the building next to Anne Ferris office? was a pub then Irish Nationwide /irish national bank (something like that? )
    I've never noticed the pawnbrokers symbol; will definitely have to go take a look!

No the pawnbroker balls at no 114.

See the attached photo

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

No the pawnbroker balls at no 114.

See the attached photo

Never noticed them before - thanks for pointing them out... any other oddities around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Probably won't amount to anything any time soon, but there's a tiny piece in the latest "Wicklow Voice" saying that Wicklow CoCo have advertised for an architect for the Florentine lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

The bookshop at Supervalu is apparently a temporary clearance pop-up thingimajig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Never noticed them before - thanks for pointing them out... any other oddities around?

Likewise, and to be honest, I'd never have copped that's what they were even if I had!

Interesting piece of character there, thanks

That's really interesting! thanks for posting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's really interesting! thanks for posting!

Really? I thought it was a load of balls myself.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was a load of balls myself.

arf arf

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

Is there a new store opening on the Cuala Rd beside the hairdressers? Seems to be something going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Cliffage wrote: »
    Is there a new store opening on the Cuala Rd beside the hairdressers? Seems to be something going on

Apparently a new beauticians...

Bring back Cuala Stores I say!

And Sid's stores - if only the owners had improved the offering .... little coffee shop to supply the Pres & Loreto kids, the locals mums,....

At least we still have The Ideal Stores and Deveney's

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Ugh...I hope not!
    I hope it does just to spite those corrupt cnuts trying to block it. Investigation badly needed into why that was being let go for only 10k.

Would be a nice spot for after work on a Friday, a cheap pint and proper fish and chips for less than the price of the takeaways around there.

Thargor wrote: »
    I hope it does just to spite those corrupt cnuts trying to block it. Investigation badly needed into why that was being let go for only 10k.

Would be a nice spot for after work on a Friday, a cheap pint and proper fish and chips for less than the price of the takeaways around there.

As I said before I think they are awful pubs and the food looks like low quality and reheated.
    I would definitely prefer a fish and chips from the other places.

Every takeaway in this town sells the cheapest of the cheap crap they can find in the cash and carrys, there isnt a single one worth visiting anymore, don't think Ive had one in about 6 months apart from the odd pizza.

Theres no way Wetherspoons could possibly be worse anyway and at least they throw in a free pint for the same price or less in the daily specials, Ive only eaten there 4 times but Id be in there once a week if they opened in Bray.

• Advertisement

Every takeaway in this town sells the cheapest of the cheap crap they can find in the cash and carrys, there isnt a single one worth visiting anymore, don't think Ive had one in about 6 months apart from the odd pizza.

Theres no way Wetherspoons could possibly be worse anyway and at least they throw in a free pint for the same price or less in the daily specials, Ive only eaten there 4 times but Id be in there once a week if they opened in Bray.

Disagree entirely and think there are some decent take aways around. Cassonis, Henry & Rose, Lino's on Dublin road spring to mind and I think their fish and chips would be better quality and fresher than any Wetherspoons offering.

None of its fresh, its all the same in each of them, the cardboard box with the big blue plastic bag of meat inside, all from the same source, half fried in the factory and frozen. If any of them battered their own fresh fish Id go there but I dont think any do, bit sad in a seaside town.

None of its fresh, its all the same in each of them, the cardboard box with the big blue plastic bag of meat inside, all from the same source, half fried in the factory and frozen. If any of them battered their own fresh fish Id go there but I dont think any do, bit sad in a seaside town.

You have no way to back this up at all.

Another reason I don' t want Wetherspoons is it will attract the wrong crowd to the seafront, just people looking for cheap drink. Already see that in Dun Laoghaire and I think Bray could do without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭skibum

Would be inclined to agree with you, only place near Bray that I have personally seen batter their own fish is Aldo's diner in cornelscourt.
    There used to be a place in Blackrock market that showed you the piece of fish before they dipped it fresh beer batter, it was delicious, they left blackrock and opened a place in town http://fish-shop.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

skibum wrote:
    Would be inclined to agree with you, only place near Bray that I have personally seen batter their own fish is Aldo's diner in cornelscourt. There used to be a place in Blackrock market that showed you the piece of fish before they dipped it fresh beer batter, it was delicious, they left blackrock and opened a place in town

Sweeney's at the harbour in Greystones batter the fish to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Battered fish - new shops in Bray - slightly off topic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Another reason I don' t want Wetherspoons is it will attract the wrong crowd to the seafront, just people looking for cheap drink. Already see that in Dun Laoghaire and I think Bray could do without it.

Not looking for a cheap drink, a drink that's fairly priced.

There will always be a "wrong crowd" somewhere. If not in Wetherspoons Bray that same crowd will be frequenting clubs in town or loitering around Bray at night.

At least here it's controlled.

Mahogany wrote: »
    Not looking for a cheap drink, a drink that's fairly priced.

There will always be a "wrong crowd" somewhere. If not in Wetherspoons Bray that same crowd will be frequenting clubs in town or loitering around Bray at night.

At least here it's controlled.

Wetherspoons in DL attracts people travelling on the DART, don't want that for Bray again.

Also, the wrong crowd are generally dispersed, you don't want them all congregating in the wrong place.
    I have been in the DL one, a couple of times with some work people and none of us go now.

We found it lacking atmosphere, poor service as they have badly trained part time staff working there and did not feel how a pub should be.

Apart from going to those places and seeing/tasting it, no...
    Wetherspoons in DL attracts people travelling on the DART, don't want that for Bray again.
    Ha! :p

Wetherspoons in DL has to be the most non-scumbag crowd you can get in any pub in the Dublin/Wicklow area, 90% young professional, probably down to their no television/sports policy which is fine by me. Atmosphere is grand because its always packed, you can get atmosphere in a cowshed if you fill it with people.

• Advertisement

Wetherspoons in DL has to be the most non-scumbag crowd you can get in any pub in the Dublin/Wicklow area, 90% young professional, probably down to their no television/sports policy which is fine by me. Atmosphere is grand because its always packed, you can get atmosphere in a cowshed if you fill it with people.

One in Blackrock is non scumbag also...

Advertisement