Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

Any idea whats going on with the old bank building on the Quinsborough Road? It had planning permission in the window for a while but nothing seems to be moving in it.

Heard a rumour that it's to be an Asian store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I see that the two units beside the Ulster Bank have been let / sold.

Heard a Chinese consortium or company bought the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surely not another Asian store, they seem to be taking over the mantle from €2 shops and beauticians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely not another Asian store

A consortium sounds like they own it and will rent it out as landlords rather than an Asian store.

A consortium sounds like they own it and will rent it out as landlords rather than an Asian store.

Yes, I understand that, was responding more to the earlier post about Asian store rumours.

Can't see it happening as there are loads in Bray now.

• Advertisement

Yes, I understand that

Aha.

Would be great to see something opening up that end of the town.

Positive article in the North Wicklow Times this week about retail in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Surely not another Asian store, they seem to be taking over the mantle from €2 shops and beauticians.

Surely not another shop closing in Bray!!!!!!!

(opening I mean... just highlighting the weird way people from Bray give out about new shops opening)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Surely not another shop closing in Bray!!!!!!!

(opening I mean... just highlighting the weird way people from Bray give out about new shops opening)

Nothing weird about complaining about the lack of variety in Bray shops.

It does not need another Asian Shop. I can think of at least 5.

In my opinion, we need more clothes shops, quality men's shoe shops,an Argos maybe, better food options on the Main Street (Seafront doing great). Better furniture/home shops.
    More food shops/organic foods etc.
    A cinema as well would also be great.

We don't need any more of the following:

€2 shops.
    Beauticians
    Charity Shops
    Bookmakers.
    Phone Shops
    Gambling Halls

Do people agree/disagree?

Maybe its just me. I find it irritating when people complain about positive improvements for Bray.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Maybe its just me. I find it irritating when people complain about positive improvements for Bray.

I'm not sure if directed at me, but I'm not complaining. Just don't think we need another Chinese shop.

Town has improved in the last year, but still a lot more that could be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Nothing weird about complaining about the lack of variety in Bray shops.

It does not need another Asian Shop. I can think of at least 5.

In my opinion, we need more clothes shops, quality men's shoe shops,an Argos maybe, better food options on the Main Street (Seafront doing great). Better furniture/home shops.
    More food shops/organic foods etc.
    A cinema as well would also be great.

We don't need any more of the following:

€2 shops.
    Beauticians
    Charity Shops
    Bookmakers.
    Phone Shops
    Gambling Halls

Do people agree/disagree?

Would definitely agree with all of this. In particular, I'd love to have an Argos in the town!

As an aside, is there anywhere online that shows what are the final plans for the cycling lane/new path along the Seafront? Looks a complete mess at the moment and not really sure what the benefit of putting another path on that side of the road is.

It doesn't matter if people want more or less of certain shops or agree or disagree Murph, simple economics dictates what will open and stay open and what will close.

I don't gamble but if all of those bookies are staying open, it's because there is a demand for it.

Asian supermarkets - we are a large multicultural town so those shops cater for everyone.

If I thought a decent men's shoe shop could survive in Bray, I'd open one. But we have a two shoe shops for men as well as two men's clothes shops, Allen's and Tansey's. If none of those four is supplying high end shoes, there is a reason for it. Maybe they've tried and there isn't the demand.

As for the bike lane - what a complete waste of money, time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its one of the best built bike lanes in Ireland and they put it in the place where it is least needed. I spent years cycling home on that road from the DART station up to the Bray Head carpark on the road and never had a single problem, you shoot along at the same speed as the cars with zero conflict as its one way, I just cannot picture the thought process of the engineer that said we urgently need a massive 2-stage 12 month construction process to put a massive bikelane to nowhere here that will slow down the cars for no reason and barely benefit the 5-6 bikes an hour that will use it (if the cyclist even bothers getting off the road seeing as they'll just have to merge onto it again if they want to go anywhere when they get to the end of the bikelane)...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

stinks of 'we need to spend this years budget so that next years budget remains unaffected' to be honest.

Can't see any commuting cyclists, other than those who live down the seafront using it for a bike route.

Can't see anyone who is cycling to the beach with kids using it very much, as they'll have their kids on the prom / lower path.

Can't see serious cyclists (lycra people) belting along it due to people walking right across it.

Apparently it's to be able to say that we have a joined up cycle path.

Would love to hear how the councillors justify this one.

BTW, I cycle around Bray and never had an issue cycling the Strand Road (apart from the pot holes, terrible speed bumps) - it was wide enough to cycle the wrong way along it from The Esplanade to The Porterhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only issue I had as a cyclist on the strand road is it has gaps going through it which if you're not 100% careful a racing tire might get caught but you'd generally keep well away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

zoobizoo wrote:
    If I thought a decent men's shoe shop could survive in Bray, I'd open one. But we have a two shoe shops for men as well as two men's clothes shops, Allen's and Tansey's. If none of those four is supplying high end shoes, there is a reason for it. Maybe they've tried and there isn't the demand.
    Agree completely. People travel to dundrum for clothes and shoes. Not enough footfall on the main street anymore for any big retailers like penneys to open.

zoobizoo wrote:

Yes I am on the seafront daily and there isn't a massive demand for a cycle lane as elaborate as what they are building. Like another poster said it stinks of using up the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 danny45

what a ****hole of a resturaunt...beware people the food is substandard i spent 80 quid on a family meal in there and regretted it.the floor staff were lovely but the manager was acting like a tosser twords the waiting girls and i wanted to get up from my table and slap him...im not messing the foods well below standard and overpriced...im never going in there gain and would advise anyone to go elsewhere unless you like watching football and having loud **** music blasted at you....complete dive

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

danny45 wrote: »
    what a ****hole of a resturaunt...beware people the food is substandard i spent 80 quid on a family meal in there and regretted it.the floor staff were lovely but the manager was acting like a tosser twords the waiting girls and i wanted to get up from my table and slap him...im not messing the foods well below standard and overpriced...im never going in there gain and would advise anyone to go elsewhere unless you like watching football and having loud **** music blasted at you....complete dive
    Which restaurant would that be then?

Alun wrote: »
    Which restaurant would that be then?

My guess is McGettigan's based on the music comment.

• Advertisement

New restaurant in front of the mermaid opening Thursday. It looks like it's Chinese.

Terry Pratchet

New restaurant in front of the mermaid opening Thursday. It looks like it's Chinese.

That has been getting prepared for ages. Very disappointing if it's Chinese. Town has enough of them, 3 already in the direct vicinity, Jasmine House, China Kitchen & Orchard Court, would make no sense to open a Chinese there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Whereabouts? In near the cafe there or do you mean on main street?

g0g wrote: »
    Whereabouts? In near the cafe there or do you mean on main street?

In front of the Mermaid. The old Council offices.

Terry Pratchet

That has been getting prepared for ages. Very disappointing if it's Chinese. Town has enough of them, 3 already in the direct vicinity, Jasmine House, China Kitchen & Orchard Court, would make no sense to open a Chinese there.

Lings posted it up so it looks like it is.

Terry Pratchet

I got the impression Ling's used their FB page to post pics up so presume it's the same owners but not a Chinese frmo the photos. Here's hoping anyway.

Great to see something new opening though. The town really seems to be coming back to life despite

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Disappointing maybe, but fair play to them for taking on the challenge of that building. It looks great now.

I got the impression Ling's used their FB page to post pics up so presume it's the same owners but not a Chinese frmo the photos. Here's hoping anyway.

Great to see something new opening though. The town really seems to be coming back to life despite

Where are you seeing this as I don't see anything on the Ling's FB page, and it only has 7 likes.

Saw it on the Bray Open Forum on FB

• Advertisement

Saw it on the Bray Open Forum on FB

Thanks, had a look there but don't see any pictures.

Not to worry, I just can't see how a Chinese would do well there.

Advertisement