Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Also, surprised that this has not been discussed here.

Looks like major progress regarding The Florentine Centre.

Link

Good to see that a cinema is included. Miss not having that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Yes it will be great to see a cinema again in the town - for a town that used to have three...

That will bring in a lot of visitors from the surrounding areas and a knock on effect on the bars, restaurants and shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'll talk and believe it as soon as the first brick is laid, anything else is just getting my hopes up :D

I'll talk and believe it as soon as the first brick is laid, anything else is just getting my hopes up :D

I think you can get your hopes up.

Council fully behind it.

Bray People.

I predict it will be delivered on time, despite being 12 years late in 2018.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think you can get your hopes up.

Council fully behind it.

Bray People.

I predict it will be delivered on time, despite being 12 years late in 2018.:D

12? That site has been much more than 12 in development.
    I'd say about 20.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

So Blue Castle opened today but Lings are advertising it on their facebook even tough its not Chinese - very confusing marketing altogether

https://www.facebook.com/lingsrestauranttakeaway

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So Blue Castle opened today but Lings are advertising it on their facebook even tough its not Chinese - very confusing marketing altogether

https://www.facebook.com/lingsrestauranttakeaway
    The current owners of Ling's seem to own it via a company called Cafe de Flore ...

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Cafe-De-Flore-Limited-553308

If you click on the two director's names they are both directors of Ling & Ning Ltd. trading as Lings Chinese Restaurant.

They're obviously branching out into other cuisines, good luck to them.

This Blue Castle is strange.
    Food does not look great to me at all. Fry looked messy and I saw sausage rolls that looked a bit burnt in the pictures.
    I'm curious about their menu , just would not expect sausage rolls in a restaurant.

Strange to have Chinese staff doing western/Irish food.

Where are people seeing menus and the like online? I can't see anything at all on the link Joeytheparrot put up there recently. It's strange in this day and age that a new restaurant doesn't have an online presence from day one really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Alun wrote: »
    Where are people seeing menus and the like online? I can't see anything at all on the link Joeytheparrot put up there recently. It's strange in this day and age that a new restaurant doesn't have an online presence from day one really.
    think you need to be signed into facebook, even at that their page is set up wrong, they're set up as an actual person who you send a friend request to, and not as an actual business where you can like, check in to etc.

• Advertisement

think you need to be signed into facebook, even at that their page is set up wrong, they're set up as an actual person who you send a friend request to, and not as an actual business where you can like, check in to etc.
    Ah, that would explain it! I'm not, and never will be, on FB :)

They're serving a burger with 'Cashual' blue cheese.

It's a strong but relaxed cheese.;)

12742576_888559541265680_5952582184945817775_n.jpg?oh=3f2ad6590c93770740aaecb341fd32c8&oe=57287FB3&__gda__=1462006586_442e3ce4073bac45a38105d6cf48bd6f

Looks a bit burnt to me, like their other photos. Normally want to try new places in Bray but I think I'll give this a miss.

12715746_888554711266163_4751409661271964660_n.jpg?oh=e8cb675d93fa37f669c0dbe09ddfcd88&oe=5761A175&__gda__=1465748490_7a48ef8b7c192b37388133f5a64d9017
    10402898_888554297932871_3816973696334321667_n.jpg?oh=0bfbb82a63a3ba24980d15427804f523&oe=5756F508&__gda__=1466760031_7fe0e08c8f90ea2af87b7fadf8e68d5d

Here are the menu photos from their page. No mention of prices.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Here are the menu photos from their page. No mention of prices.
    They really need to get someone to proof read that menu :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

They really need to get someone to proof read that menu :D

Not bad for Chinese, I think you will agree.

The burger looks like cholesterol on stilts! 😧

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I hope the cooking is better than the spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Burritos soon to be available in the (now former) Three Beans coffee place on the corner of Quinnsborough Road.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I was in the Lebanon Cookhouse Restaurant (Bray main street) last night. Excellent food, but the place was almost empty :o

I hope it works out for them, but I would be concerned.

2011 wrote: »
    I was in the Lebanon Cookhouse Restaurant (Bray main street) last night. Excellent food, but the place was almost empty :o

I hope it works out for them, but I would be concerned.

Yes, I was there too a few weeks ago. Saturday lunchtime but only one other table in use.

So far at this location I can remember the following:

Shelby's.
    Don Quixote Spanish.
    Some Indian
    Greek
    and now Lebanese.

It's just a bad location for a restaurant, hidden upstairs and no obvious frontage. A pity.

Same here, we've been a couple of times, including on a Friday evening, when it should have been busy, but again only 2 or 3 tables occupied.

The problems are obvious as murpho999 pointed out, but it makes you wonder how much research potential new tenants do when they look to take over a place like that with a reputation for failing. Surely they'd ask to look at the previous tenant's books, or at least talk to them about why they left. It's a shame really because in each case those taking it over seem to be genuinely nice people.

• Advertisement

True - but that's business for you.

Look at the successes and look at the failures.

Anthony Bourdain, the chef, has written about it in his book Kitchen Confidential - certain buildings will never work, regardless of how good the food/people are.

Same here, we've been a couple of times, including on a Friday evening, when it should have been busy, but again only 2 or 3 tables occupied.

The problems are obvious as murpho999 pointed out, but it makes you wonder how much research potential new tenants do when they look to take over a place like that with a reputation for failing. Surely they'd ask to look at the previous tenant's books, or at least talk to them about why they left. It's a shame really because in each case those taking it over seem to be genuinely nice people.

Well how would they get access to the previous tenant's books in fairness?

Clearly the numbers were not good anyway as they have not survived.

Issue is the location upstairs. Other ground floor restaurants in the same are have survived.
    Lots of people would walk by without knowing it's there.

Also, I like to be able to see into a place before eating. For example I would never go to the chinese on Quinsboro Road as it's all blocked out. Turns me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vinbo1

Hi Guys

We ate in this restaurant on Sat. night. Overall I'd say that the food wasn't bad (we had fish and it tasted fresh insofar as you can tell) but the sad part was the portion size. Seared fillet of sea trout consisted of, at best, half a fillet. It was accompanied by two baby spuds cut in half to fill the plate out. We mentioned it to the waitress who said she would pass our complaint on to the management. Charging €18.00 for the above is a bit of a joke and would not entice us to return which is a pity as Bray needs a few good restaurants around the Main St.

I agree with the comments about the new Leb place where Don Quixote/Shelby's used to be. Tried it and again the food is good but prices are a bit steep. I know there are overheads etc. but whats the point in fitting out a nice restaurant if you can only fill a couple of tables on a week end night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I see Pebbles cafe on the Vevay road has already folded. Sign saying "New cafe opening" soon.
    I didn't even last a year.

fjon wrote: »
    I see Pebbles cafe on the Vevay road has already folded. Sign saying "New cafe opening" soon.
    I didn't even last a year.

I would imagine that the opening of Costa had an impact

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I would imagine that the opening of Costa had an impact

That, along with high prices, average food and erratic opening hours.
    Drove past it again today, the front door was open. Not sure if they're already refitting it for a new shop, or if it's open again or what.

It has been a while since we've had a Wetherspoons/ Barracuda rumour. I spotted this on a Wetherspoons magazine.

oMr3k9T.jpg

In other cafe news, I noticed that the Bridge Cafe seems to have closed down. Not to worry, a new Italian cafe has sprung up on the Albert walk, about 10m away from another Italian cafe, and around the corner from Campo and Carpe Diem.

fjon wrote: »
    It has been a while since we've had a Wetherspoons/ Barracuda rumour. I spotted this on a Wetherspoons magazine.

You wouldn't have a bigger picture by any chance?:D

• Advertisement

Wetherspoons latest rumour is where Raven Gym was

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement