Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

murpho999 wrote: »
    Are you talking about Aldi?
    Nope.
    The Lidl looks the same as all Lidls I know and there's loads of parking there, never a problem to get a space.
    Nearly all Lidl's are built as one big rectangular 'shed' with identical internal layouts. The Bray Lidl is unusual firstly in that it's on the first floor with an infuriatingly slow escalator leading up from the car park, and it's got a bit of a dog leg in it, so not perfectly rectangular. The position of the bakery and the fridges is different as a result. A quick area measurement on Google Maps shows the car park to be around half the size of the one in Greystones for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

They have all that area round the back as well though- where the Polski Sklep is as well. Hate the layout of that Lidl though and the stupid escalator

• Registered Users Posts: 12 geewiz

Leaves the north of Bray a little short.

"A little"?! We've been able to do our shopping by walking or cycling to Lidl for years and going all around or through town isn't in the cards. SuperValu must be laughing their heads off.

I agree, I would say SV are delighted. The traffic situation on the Dublin road is chronic though and not helped by Lidl. They really need to sort that out. That said, the Boghall /Vevay junction and Boghall /Killarney junction are hardly much better. Frying pan/fire. Strange that they would spend all that money doing it up and then start again from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

are they definitely closing the one in Little Bray? - if Greystones can support a Lidl and an Aldi, Bray (which has twice the population) should be able to support 2 Lidls and an Aldi at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Alun wrote: »
    Nope.

Nearly all Lidl's are built as one big rectangular 'shed' with identical internal layouts. The Bray Lidl is unusual firstly in that it's on the first floor with an infuriatingly slow escalator leading up from the car park, and it's got a bit of a dog leg in it, so not perfectly rectangular. The position of the bakery and the fridges is different as a result. A quick area measurement on Google Maps shows the car park to be around half the size of the one in Greystones for example.

It's still pretty similar.Parking is not really an issue as I always manage to get a space.

Also, represents too much of an investment by Lidl just to upsticks and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

loyatemu wrote: »
    are they definitely closing the one in Little Bray? - if Greystones can support a Lidl and an Aldi, Bray (which has twice the population) should be able to support 2 Lidls and an Aldi at least.

But 2 Aldis and 2 lidls?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

I'd say plenty of Aldi and Lidl branches are loss leading branches. They don't all have to be making a huge profit, just dominating the market. If Bray can support 6 (maybe more) pharmacies (not to mention cafés) within shouting distance of each other I'm sure Lidl and Aldi will be grand.

But 2 Aldis and 2 lidls?

are there 2 Aldi's already? I didn't realise. A few years ago there was one Lidl in Greystones and one Aldi in Bray. Soon there will 3 of each between the 2 towns.

loyatemu wrote: »
    are there 2 Aldi's already? I didn't realise.
    Unless they've hidden it really well there isn't :D There's one in Bray on the Boghall Rd., and one in Greystones, that's it.

• Advertisement

I'd say plenty of Aldi and Lidl branches are loss leading branches. They don't all have to be making a huge profit, just dominating the market. If Bray can support 6 (maybe more) pharmacies (not to mention cafés) within shouting distance of each other I'm sure Lidl and Aldi will be grand.

Aldi and Lidl would shut down loss making operations in a second.

Comparing pharmacies and cafes that are much much smaller to larger supermarkets that need larger business volumes and lower margins to make them viable.
    Cafes and phramacies have larger margins and less customers.

Aldi and Lidl would shut down loss making operations in a second.

Comparing pharmacies and cafes that are much much smaller to larger supermarkets that need larger business volumes and lower margins to make them viable.
    Cafes and phramacies have larger margins and less customers.

Well, you seem very confident. I defer to your retail knowledge prowess

Well, you seem very confident. I defer to your retail knowledge prowess

Well you seem to thnk 6 pharmacies for a population of over 30,000 is a lot so I don't see your logic.

except that there are at least 12 pharmacies I can think of off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

except that there are at least 12 pharmacies I can think of off the top of my head

Off the top of your Google ya mean ;)

OK, so Bray population was 31,872 according to the 2011 census. This works out at 1 chemist for every 2,656 people.

It's not that strange when you look at it that way.

nope. lived in Bray all my life. Actually think it's 13. ugh, im such a nerd
    - lloyds in Castle St
    - feel good on Quinsboro
    -other one on Quinsboro
    - Hiltons
    -Boots
    -Kennedys
    -Vance and Wilson
    -Lloyd on Novara ave
    - Cunninghams on Killarney lane
    - One in Tesco
    -One on Boghall
    -one on Vevay

oh, that's 12. which one have I missed

eta : I have zero idea how many chemists required per capita, clearly 12 is the answer. ..or maybe it's 13

This is starting to go way OT, but I've always had a feeling there were an inordinately high number of pharmacies in Ireland compared to other countries, so I checked on Google for two places I've lived in in other countries. The town in the Netherlands I lived in before managed with only 5 for a population of approx. 45,000 (1 per 9,000), and in Germany only 19 for a population of 150,000 (approx.1 per 7,900), so it looks like my hunch was right.

Alun wrote: »
    This is starting to go way OT, but I've always had a feeling there were an inordinately high number of pharmacies in Ireland compared to other countries, so I checked on Google for two places I've lived in in other countries. The town in the Netherlands I lived in before managed with only 5 for a population of approx. 45,000 (1 per 9,000), and in Germany only 19 for a population of 150,000 (approx.1 per 7,900), so it looks like my hunch was right.

GPs here want to start dispensing common prescriptions in their surgeries - I wonder does this already happen in other countries and that's the reason for fewer standalone pharmacies? Boots is about to open in Greystones and I would've thought the market was saturated here already (with 6 existing pharmacies).

Well you seem to thnk 6 pharmacies for a population of over 30,000 is a lot so I don't see your logic.

Well, my original point was that perhaps not all Lidl and Aldi stores need to be turning profit, they just need to dominate the market - knock out the small players and then turn profit.
    Take Harvey Norman for example, as of last year they're a decade in the Irish market and yet to to turn a profit.
    A quick bit of googling shows that to be the case with Harvey Norman, but not the case with Lidl and Aldi overall (big profits for them) - doesn't mean that every branch is turning huge profits though.

Also, I was speculating - not stating a fact.

I diluted my point a little with the Pharmacy nod to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Is there any sort of confirmation that Lidl are moving out of the centre on the Dublin Rd or is it all just speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Dalkeybabe

Dr Strange wrote: »
    I saw a new Italian restaurant in Albert Walk. Has anyone tried it yet?

Do you mean cafe letterario or spaccanapoli?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Dalkeybabe wrote: »
    Do you mean cafe letterario or spaccanapoli?

The last one! Couldn't remember the name.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Is there any sort of confirmation that Lidl are moving out of the centre on the Dublin Rd or is it all just speculation?

Speculation. The only thing really known is they applied for permission on the corner of Boghall Rd and Killarney Rd.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Speculation. The only thing really known is they applied for permission on the corner of Boghall Rd and Killarney Rd.

Well if that's true then it's the old Dell offices & not AO Smith as previously mentioned by someone else on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Well if that's true then it's the old Dell offices & not AO Smith as previously mentioned by someone else on here.

Huh? The Dell offices are not on Killarney road.

fjon wrote: »
    Huh? The Dell offices are not on Killarney road.

No you're right they're on corner of Boghall/Vevay 😨

No. Dell isnt on Killarney Road.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

there have been 2 submissions to the planning of the AO smiths site.
    Joe Behan is one and Liam McGarry is the other. If memory serves me right McGarry is the owner of Centra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Not really a new shop as such, but I saw that the Big Dog's Galley is going to be doing food in the Hollands offlicense. I was a big fan of their stuff in the Harbour bar, much prefer it to the new food that's there at the moment.

Advertisement