Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Boghall shopping centre is up for sale and theres a planning notice up outside that derelict factory beside it for the construction of retail units including a supermarket, anyone know whats going on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Thargor wrote: »
    Boghall shopping centre is up for sale and theres a planning notice up outside that derelict factory beside it for the construction of retail units including a supermarket, anyone know whats going on there?
    Were't people on Bray forum saying Lidl and the other one might close?

I thought Lidl were supposed to be going into the one halfway up the Boghall road though, an old electric motors factory that they bulldozed in the last year or so or something like that? Its a green field site now but security are there every night. All before my time, I dont know what any of these old factories were and theres not much online about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I thought Lidl were supposed to be going into the one halfway up the Boghall road though, an old electric motors factory that they bulldozed in the last year or so or something like that? Its a green field site now but security are there every night. All before my time, I dont know what any of these old factories were and theres not much online about them.

The one that was knocked and is a field now is the old schering plough factory.
    The electric motor factory is the one we have been talking about here which was AO Smith (There is a planning application in directly across the road from St. Fergals church and right beside Boghall shopping Centre.

The application has been refused http://www.eplanning.ie/WicklowCC/AppFileRefDetails/16487/0

Thanks, glad it was refused tbh, traffic would have been mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I asked in the Centra about what was up for sale. The lad told me that it is only half of the off-licence. It used to be a single unit and is now a double unit.
    Seems to make sense as the sign indicates 610 square feet.

I have mixed feelings around Lidl not getting planning. Traffic would have increased but it would have been good to see some development on that derelict site

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I see the City Tyres unit is now to let again after they were refused planning retention. A good job too, that was an acccident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Alun wrote: »
    I see the City Tyres unit is now to let again after they were refused planning retention. A good job too, that was an acccident waiting to happen.

have nothing to do with them apart from getting a cheap spare tyre, in what way were they dangerous?

skibum wrote: »
    have nothing to do with them apart from getting a cheap spare tyre, in what way were they dangerous?
    From what I read of the objections raised to the retention, some of which came from the Butcher's next door, pretty much a total disregard for any kind of fire safety with respect to storage of tyres and other stuff (they were doing car 'servicing' too), blocking rear access to other units with old tyres etc., and problems with car movements in and out of the premises in an area that's chaotic enough as it is already.

That's not to mention the planning/zoning violations. Converting a retail unit into a garage quite rightly requires specific permissions, which they neglected to obtain, and probably wouldn't have got in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I see that Men's Hair Co has opened up on the Main Street where Keegan's Bakery orignally was.

Before people jump that it's another barber, well they are different.

I have used them in Dun Laoghaire and they are very good. More expensive and a better cut, more in the market of Grafton Barber (but with better barbers) than you average €8-10 cut that's done in 10 mins. They spend at least 30 mins with you and do a top job. Recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

murpho999 wrote: »
    I see that Men's Hair Co has opened up on the main street where Keegan's Bakery orignally was.

Before people jump that it's another barber, well they are different.

I have used them in Dun Laoghaire and they are very good. More expensive and a better cut, more in the market of Grafton Barber (but with better barbers) than you average €8-10 cut that's done in 10 mins. They spend at least 30 mins with you and do a top job. Recommneded.

Do you know what time they open at? Need to get my hair cut before heading to the airport at 12.

Do you know what time they open at? Need to get my hair cut before heading to the airport at 12.

Here's their website.

And you can book online here..

They seem to open at 10.

Here's their website.

And you can book online here..

They seem to open at 10.

Thanks. Had checked that but wasn't sure if bray was opened yet :) will go down and take a look. I ain't signing in with fb/twitter/google or creating another account just to book a haircut online :pac:

Thanks. Had checked that but wasn't sure if bray was opened yet :) will go down and take a look. I ain't signing in with fb/twitter/google or creating another account just to book a haircut online :pac:

Well I just login with FB and book the Dun Laoghaire one as it can be busy there, so handy to book online.

Don't think the Bray shop is as busy yet. Let me know how you get on.

Dun Laoghaire is €23 for a cut (includes a wash) so not cheap but way better than your average barber/butcher imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

What is it with the proliferation of barbers - there used to be just the one in Greystones, now there are 6!

loyatemu wrote: »
    What is it with the proliferation of barbers - there used to be just the one in Greystones, now there are 6!

Why so negative? Maybe it's a good sign of the economy coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Why so negative? Maybe it's a good sign of the economy coming back.

because I'm follically-challenged and they're a painful reminder :pac:

even during the previous boom there was only one barbers in town, I know there's a fashion for more elaborate hairstyles amongst men, not to mention extravagant beards, but it's still strange that there are so many of them now.

loyatemu wrote: »
    because I'm follically-challenged and they're a painful reminder :pac:

even during the previous boom there was only one barbers in town, I know there's a fashion for more elaborate hairstyles amongst men, not to mention extravagant beards, but it's still strange that there are so many of them now.

Don't worry the boom might not last so it'll be hair today, gone tomorrow.:p

Well I just login with FB and book the Dun Laoghaire one as it can be busy there, so handy to book online.

Don't think the Bray shop is as busy yet. Let me know how you get on.

Dun Laoghaire is €23 for a cut (includes a wash) so not cheap but way better than your average barber/butcher imho.

Was a bit stuck for time and had zero coins for parking so the barber at Tesco was used. €10, great job and no small talk, it's not Waldorf barbers in town but at a smidgeon of the price it doesn't need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

New shop opening on the Albert walk ... Looks cool but not open yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

d-don wrote: »
    New shop opening on the Albert walk ... Looks cool but not open yet

Yeah don't bother describing the shop, that might actually be useful.

New one on the corner of Quinsborough Road/Main Street.

"Sprinkles". Where the former Banditos Burritos was. Can't say I have high hopes, it is run by the same people. I tried a burrito from them and it was the worst burrito I've ever had.

The first cafe to do a chocolate kebab. Excuse me while I go vomit.

Seems sweet shops and sweet style cafes are all the rage right now. I'm happy a new shop is opening in Bray but what a pity it is just more junk food.

28n2c4z.jpg

"Ireland's First Choco Kebab Cafe Bar" ... yes guys, there's probably a reason for that.

Just as Summer ends and Bray goes back into hibernation is a great time to open a place like that aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I absolutely don't wish ill-luck on anyone trying to get a business off the ground but who the hell thought "I know what Bray needs! - CHOCO KEBABS".

Also, this piece of unfortunate framing cracked me up so much:

HwUpJsO.jpg

Using Comic Sans as a font is probably the ultimate design no-no of all time aswell, whats going on here? They set up a fully designed and fitted burrito place, closed it after 5 minutes and are now going with this weird effort...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭George White

Using Comic Sans as a font is probably the ultimate design no-no of all time aswell, whats going on here? They set up a fully designed and fitted burrito place, closed it after 5 minutes and are now going with this weird effort...

I asked why they shut, "didn't do the business", I was told. Don't see how a choco kebeb (ie a giant one of these white and milk twirly things you get in sundaes wrapped in a pitta) is going to save them...
    THey are an "ice cream bar" but only sell whipped Carpigiani vanilla and loads of toppings. I asked "where's the mint, chocolate, all the flavours?" They said they haven't considered that. You're an ice cream bar, I said. "We focus on hot treats." they added. "I said, you're advertised as an ice cream bar." They said they'll try. It feels very half-hearted and not thought through.

A place called Sprinkles is open on Albert Walk but the two are unrelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Timmy.Sheridan

Sprinkles was an interesting name to take considering an ice cream shop 700m away was already open with the same name...

I agree not very thought through... They're Facebook page is all pictures ripped from Google images in terrible quality.

Very strange with that Sprinkles effort.

What happened there. Two shops split from Finbee's become Three Beans. Both stores close, one becomes an unoriginal burrito shop, lasts a week and now it's this weird "ice cream" bar that most likely won't make Christmas.

Seems like the owners have no idea what they re at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭George White

Very strange with that Sprinkle's effort.

What happened there. Two shops split from Finbee's become Three Beans. Both stores close, one becomes an unoriginal burrito shop, lasts a week and now it's this weird "ice cream" bar that most likely won't make Christmas.

Seems like the owners have no idea what they re at.
    "We're not ice cream. We're hot treats".

They said they weren't aware of the other shop, and they said they're not owned by FInnbees. Howodd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The shop has new owners. Whats so odd about that?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement