Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Yes, it's all what the writer JG Byrne calls "manky toys".
    And there's no major brands - not even the discount stock one finds in the Gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's all counterfeit copyright-skirting goods, not a decent known brand in the shop, all Chinese imports, run by a Chinese couple from what I saw.
    As an aside, do we have any equivalent here to the Trading Standards offices found in the UK? If so, I'd imagine they'd be all over places like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I'm surprised that the building previously occupied by Campo's restaurant hasn't been bought/rented yet as it's one of the better locations available.

Also, agreed that Mao would do well in Bray

I think that the rent on it is quite steep...

It is a great location - pity Campo closed as it'd be great to have an upmarket Italian place close by.

Love Carpe Diem but nice to have the option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Alun wrote: »
    As an aside, do we have any equivalent here to the Trading Standards offices found in the UK? If so, I'd imagine they'd be all over places like that.
    this? http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_complaints/consumer_complaints.html
    I'm not sure. I rang the police and the woman on the phone seemed unconvinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

this? http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_complaints/consumer_complaints.html
    I'm not sure. I rang the police and the woman on the phone seemed unconvinced.

I would try http://www.ccpc.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I'm surprised that the building previously occupied by Campo's restaurant hasn't been bought/rented yet as it's one of the better locations available.

Also, agreed that Mao would do well in Bray

Mao is overpriced crap. Dun Laoghaire is close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Candeela

We've ordered from the new Sushi place at the Egan Centre on Dargle Road twice now, "Sushi Hana". It's ok, not bad, but not the great addition to Bray that I was hoping for (we love sushi!).
    The service is really friendly and we got some complimentary Miso soup with the last order, but it's expensive for what you get and the sushi is only of "okay" quality. Reckon we'll still be making trips to Musashi in Sandyford and/or City centre for our sushi fixes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

All of the retail units on the Galtrim Park side of the Boulevard look to be getting a bit of a refurb.

Hopefully some new businesses to move in there soon as it is currently a hangout for people drinking cans all day.

Noticeably the lighting on both sides of the Boulevard building has been improved significantly too so looks to be some investment going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/major-bray-shopping-and-cinema-complex-to-go-ahead-1.2867399
    The long-postponed Florentine shopping and cinema complex planned for the centre of Bray, Co Wicklow, finally looks like proceeding following a decision by Wicklow County Council to seek a development partner for the high-profile project which is expected to have a gross development value of €30-€35 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Be great to have a Cinema in Bray again

21/25

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Good news but I'm surprised at the schedule. Appoint contractor in March and ready by end of 2017?

That can't be right can it?

I thought the original plan was for end of 2018?

My boyfriend told me that the pub next to the new Asian Street Food place is rumoured to be a Weatherspoons. I actually couldn't bother meself replying to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

While out watching the lights being turned on yesterday I noticed that the Blue Castle cafe is closed and is going to open again as a Japanese restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

2 Coffee shops reopened for business

1 on the corner of Albert walk and Albert Avenue
    1 on the main street in the old finnbees/three beans

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Pete Taylor, Katie Taylor's father, has opened a new cafe on Albert Walk.

Getting some attention form the media.

http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/guess-what-katie-taylors-dad-named-his-new-boxingthemed-caf-in-bray-35293943.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

murpho999 wrote: »
    Pete Taylor, Katie Taylor's father, has opened a new cafe on Albert Walk.

Getting some attention form the media.

http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/guess-what-katie-taylors-dad-named-his-new-boxingthemed-caf-in-bray-35293943.html

I wish him luck but nothing seems to survive in that premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Fortune's Corner shop survived for years there...

The Irish Bookshop lasted a number of years there too...

Great to see something unique go in there - hopefully not too unique

The peanut protein balls I had the other day were very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Also, cause its in the area what ever happened to the Spacanopoli (sp) place? It had a sign up around October saying they were going on holidays or some such and it'd be open two weeks later. It's stayed shut ever since though. I never got a chance to try it but always pass it on my way too and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wistfuleyes

Glad to see this. Going to head there this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Anyone tried ordering from the new Japanese restaurant/take-away beside the Mermaid Centre?

This place:

https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-koijapaneserestaurant-bray

I'm a bit dubious about the reviews listed where they give a high star rating and no actual review - looks a bit suss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Holland's and the furniture barn are closing down I wonder what's going to go inside? It's a pity because Holland's was the best off-licence in Wicklow. The furniture barn must be owned by the same people as holland's.

The Banditos Burritos is rumoured to be reopening in the Furniture Barn

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

The Banditos Burritos is rumoured to be reopening in the Furniture Barn

Seems like way too big a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone tried tht new chipper down across from Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thargor wrote: »

Yup. Nice chips but they're not chipper chips if you get me.

It's the same as linos that were there before for everything else burgers/chicken etc. The only real thing has changed is multiple choice of seasoning for the chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It's the same as linos that were there before for everything else burgers/chicken etc. The only real thing has changed is multiple choice of seasoning for the chips.
    Good thanks, that could be good that they're not chipper chips because Im completely sick of the brown bag of half raw greasy potato lumps that go cold the minute you take them out that most chippers serve. Ill have to give them a try.

That's not a new chipper is it? Saw it was a new name but is it not still Lino's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭skibum

Thargor wrote: »
    Chipmongers, same owners, new name.
    Tried the chips three times in last couple of weeks, not overly impressed, portion size is definitely smaller than before, bag of chips cost €2.70, if you want seasoning eg Cajun salt, that's another 30c...
    First two times I went in around 2.30pm, the chips were served immediately, weren't hot, luke warm at best, third time was about 1.30pm, few people in ahead of me, chips were cooked fresh, didn't mind the wait as they were hotter....

IMHO the best place in Bray where I always get perfectly cooked chips is the "seaside fast food" take away on the seafront. Might be connected with "Henry and Rose" as I think I have seen the same staff in both places.
    Might only be open at weekends and during the summer....
    https://goo.gl/maps/fnJMcbZ22Hr

I use to use Lino's. I tried Chipmongers at the weekend and I wont be back. Terrible portion size now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

At least they're trying something different, could be a whole lot worse. Could have closed down and become A.N.Other coffee/nail bar/pound shop.

Yeah I didn't get the shovelling of chips that Lino's used to do but in fairness I tend to never polish off a chipper bag when they shovel in more chips than the white bag can hold.

• Advertisement

At least they're trying something different, could be a whole lot worse. Could have closed down and become A.N.Other coffee/nail bar/pound shop.

Yeah I didn't get the shovelling of chips that Lino's used to do but in fairness I tend to never polish off a chipper bag when they shovel in more chips than the white bag can hold.

You must not have hungry kids :D

Advertisement