Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

The Strand to close this Sunday (22nd).

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Moody_mona wrote: »
    The Strand to close this Sunday (22nd).

Just heard this. They must have waited to complete the refurb work before putting it up for sale. I assume its going on sale??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ciann

Heard that where Holland's off licence was is going to reopen as... another coffee shop, just what the town needs :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ciann wrote: »
    Heard that where Holland's off licence was is going to reopen as... another coffee shop, just what the town needs :confused::confused:

We're in need of a decent coffee shop. Currently all we have is lots of two euro version of a coffee shop.

Would love to see something like coffeeangel or 3fe quality come to bray and whilst Noah's and dockyard are nice, they aren't in the same league imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ciann wrote: »

I don't see why people complain about it.

We need decent food options on the Main Street like the seafront has.

Something better than ciabattas and greasy deep fried food like Gourmet Parlour.

The equivalent of Dockyard No 8 would be great on the Main St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

We're in need of a decent coffee shop. Currently all we have is lots of two euro version of a coffee shop.

Would love to see something like coffeeangel or 3fe quality come to bray and whilst Noah's and dockyard are nice, they aren't in the same league imo.

How would you rate:
    CAmpo
    Gusto
    Carpe
    Café Literaria (?)

I had a latte in Box Burger a while back - the best latte I've ever had, and I've had a lot. I said it to the lad who made it for me.

I see that Three Beans has been taken over. I'm all for supporting new businesses but their signage is really awful.. it cheapens the establishment and the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 steelyblaze

SO many good proper Italian coffee shops. All of them DO great coffee.

Haven't tried Box for coffee yet tend to stick to the hard stuff like their adult milkshakes :)

Apparently the Three Beans is the owner of the building and they are running it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gillymayb

I see Kelso the curtain place is closing and so is shoe zone across the road. The Quinnsborough road is dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

The Asian place beside Molloys also seems to be closed.
    There is a new shop being done up between the post office and Obriens, and the Asian shop on the Main Street is moving to the quinsboro road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

gillymayb wrote: »
    I see Kelso the curtain place is closing and so is shoe zone across the road. The Quinnsborough road is dying.
    The sweet shop looks like its gone aswell, dont know why those places bother tbh, they're always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

fjon wrote: »
    The Asian place beside Molloys also seems to be closed.
    d.

Aw that's a shame. The owner is a lovely guy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thargor wrote: »
    The sweet shop looks like its gone aswell, dont know why those places bother tbh, they're always empty.

Moving down to Albert Avenue beside Stacks Butchers where the picture framing place used to be....AFAIK

Hasn't ShoeZone been closing down for an awful long time though? I popped in to have a look and the sale was ridiculously bad. €3 price reduction on steelies for example.

Be sorry to see Kelso's gone. Are they have a closing sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Hasn't ShoeZone been closing down for an awful long time though? I popped in to have a look and the sale was ridiculously bad. €3 price reduction on steelies for example.

I'm a quarter of a century living in Bray and as far as I recall Tyler's/ Tyler's Express/ ShoeZone has been closing for most of that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I'm a quarter of a century living in Bray and as far as I recall Tyler's/ Tyler's Express/ ShoeZone has been closing for most of that

What was that Carpet place oposite the Royal hotel that was having a closing down sale for over 20yrs? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

What was that Carpet place oposite the Royal hotel that was having a closing down sale for over 20yrs? :pac:

I know it's official, universally understood name in our house was "The Closing Down Shop" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,644 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's how that business trades. All branches are permanently in (useless) "closing down" sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

L1011 wrote: »
    That's how that business trades. All branches are permanently in (useless) "closing down" sales.

Funny you say that actually, I was in Manchester at the weekend and I even noticed a branch of Tyler's there and guess what, it's closing down! (allegedly)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is the lebanese place on Main Street closed?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Looks like it.

Has anyone tried "In The Bean" yet?

Was in The Betelnut the other day.... coffee is good but the chocolate croissants are massive!!

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried "In The Bean" yet?

Yup, coffee was terrible, over-roasted and bitter. Got a pastry that must have been sitting there for a week, it was like a rock.

Cashier also didn't know the prices of menu items, my total came to something like €12.05, she said call it €12.00, I gave €15 and got €2.95 back.

As for the name, is it meant to be a pun or something?

Some very simple things that can be fixed, but IMO the customer service experience won't be making me run back.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, I predicted this. Unfortunately I was correct.
    Sad to see it go. The portions were small but the food was good with delicious healthy options.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yup, coffee was terrible, over-roasted and bitter. Got a pastry that must have been sitting there for a week, it was like a rock.

Cashier also didn't know the prices of menu items, my total came to something like €12.05, she said call it €12.00, I gave €15 and got €2.95 back.

As for the name, is it meant to be a pun or something?

Some very simple things that can be fixed, but IMO the customer service experience won't be making me run back.

Is this what was the original Finbees and then became Three Beans on Main Street?
    2011 wrote: »
    Yes, I predicted this. Unfortunately I was correct.
    Sad to see it go. The portions were small but the food was good with delicious healthy options.

That location is disastrous.

So far I can remember Shelby's, Spanish, Indian, Greek and now Lebanese there and none of then survived despite the food being decent.

It's a pity.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Is this what was the original Finbees and then became Three Beans on Main Street?

Yup, that's the one.

So far I can remember Shelby's, Spanish, Indian, Greek and now Lebanese there and none of then survived despite the food being decent.

It's a pity.

It is a pity, the Indian (Crown Royal I think it was called) was fairly decent. It looks like the curse of unit where Mt. Everest of Katmandu is now has just moved down the town a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a combination of factors I think ...

There's only an entrance at street level, so you can't look in and see what it's like, which is a turn-off for many people. The restaurant itself is quite large, so if there's only a handful of tables occupied it feels very empty, which is never a good thing. The, unused since it's initial Shelby's days, upstairs section just adds to that feeling. And, as the owner of the Greek restaurant said to me once, there's actually very little passing trade on Bray Main St. at night, so you're limited to customers who know you're there already.

I wonder whose going to brave the curse next? It only took a few days after the Greek closing before it was snapped up last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Somewhat relevant to the thread - Tony's Asian Market is in the middle of moving from the main street to the old NIB building on the Quinsborough road.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

B0jangles wrote: »
    Somewhat relevant to the thread - Tony's Asian Market is in the middle of moving from the main street to the old NIB building on the Quinsborough road.
    Yes, there was a notice up in the old shop last week when I was in there saying they were moving soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Hopefully something will go into the existing building at Tony's market. That part of the road definitely could do without having another empty premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

B0jangles wrote: »
    Thanks. Just came here to find out where they had moved to.
    Do you know if they're re-opened already? May spin by this evening. Need my bag of peanuts and spices fix!

Advertisement