Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 geewiz

Another big thumbs up for Cafe Letterario. Can't they just trade places with one of the more spacy but terrible coffee shops? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Menu for Butler & Barry.

Just waking by tonight. Menu doesn't really entice me though.

Practically the wild goose (which I like tbh), with a few changes but €2-3 added on due to the location

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Menu for Butler & Barry.

Practically the wild goose (which I like tbh), with a few changes but €2-3 added on due to the location

Ok, they seem to be following the typical pub menu of today.

Wings, burgers, fish and chips.

Thought they would do more.

Wonder if they will have other choices for main courses, as it seems quite small.
    Prices seem reasonable to me though and very similar to Wild Goose.

Also, I don't like how all kids menus in Ireland are the same with sausages and chicken goujons and everything with chips.

Total lack of imagination and no wonder kids are obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Yeah, was hoping for something a bit more adventurous. Best of luck to them, it's a great location and deserves to be busy, but I can't see myself eating in there too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fjon wrote: »
    Yeah, was hoping for something a bit more adventurous. Best of luck to them, it's a great location and deserves to be busy, but I can't see myself eating in there too often.
    Yes, very disappointing. I can see them getting some passing trade from out of town visitors during the summer months, but I can't imagine anyone local making a special effort to go there for a meal to be honest.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Prices seem reasonable to me though and very similar to Wild Goose.

hmm actually on second looks it is reasonable. I based my first impressions off the burger being 14.95 in B&B but 12.95 in Wild Goose. Didn't realise the Wild Goose doesn't come with bacon and cheese whereas the B&B burger does. still I'd rather a cheaper burger and adding the bacon and cheese than paying 14.95 and removing the bacon and cheese (sometimes I'm not fussed about bacon on a burger).

Still though I'd like to try it out, it might be nice for a couple of drinks on top of Gino's as the sunsets.

hmm actually on second looks it is reasonable. I based my first impressions off the burger being 14.95 in B&B but 12.95 in Wild Goose. Didn't realise the Wild Goose doesn't come with bacon and cheese whereas the B&B burger does. still I'd rather a cheaper burger and adding the bacon and cheese than paying 14.95 and removing the bacon and cheese (sometimes I'm not fussed about bacon on a burger).

Still though I'd like to try it out, it might be nice for a couple of drinks on top of Gino's as the sunsets.

I'll try it out as well: just for a place to be called a "Gastro-Pub" it should serve more than a burger and fish and chips and salads.

I'll try it out as well just for a place to be called a "Gastro-Pub" it should serve more than a burger and fish and chips and salads.

totally agree with you, also for a sea side place I would have thought there'd be more imagination than a piece of haddock.

totally agree with you, also for a sea side place I would have thought there'd be more imagination than a piece of haddock.

I know, especially when they have a whole aquarium to pick from directly underneath!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

At least it's not cod...

Pity that they didn't go more seafood considering their proximity to the sea (and of course the aquarium).

That said, maybe there aren't enough seafood lovers around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

... very similar to Wild Goose.

Same family owns them. Wild Goose, Ardmore Bar, Butler & Barry owned by the O'Farrell's.

Was down earlier for a pint.

Didn't have food.

Staff were friendly (recognised a few from other Bray venues).

Tbh, the design is pretty bland with a lot of greys.

Obligatory old suitcases, typewriters, old clocks, big old style light bulbs - like a Mrs Robinson / Gilbert & Wright lite.

Actually thought that style wise, it was pretty dated and it has all been done before which was disappointing.

Not my bag but I wish any new business well.

Dr Strange wrote: »
    Same family owns them. Wild Goose, Ardmore Bar, Butler & Barry owned by the O'Farrell's.

Yes, I know but I think they could have done things differently.

Look at the Duggans with Harbour Bar, Martello, Box Burger, Pizza Platform and Ocean Cafe.

All very different and individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yes, I know but I think they could have done things differently.

Look at the Duggans with Harbour Bar, Martello, Box Burger, Pizza Platform and Ocean Cafe.

All very different and individual.

Oh I absolutely agree, it should be different. That's why I prefer the Duggans-run establishments as well as Duff's and Jim Doyles. I used to like Holland's before it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Was down earlier for a pint.

Didn't have food.

Staff were friendly (recognised a few from other Bray venues).

Tbh, the design is pretty bland with a lot of greys.

Obligatory old suitcases, typewriters, old clocks, big old style light bulbs - like a Mrs Robinson / Gilbert & Wright lite.

Actually thought that style wise, it was pretty dated and it has all been done before which was disappointing.

Not my bag but I wish any new business well.
    Ah Jaysus, I cannot stand that crap anymore, it actually makes me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, I cannot stand that crap anymore, it actually makes me angry.
    Reminds me of a line in Phoenix Nights.
    "This is a theme pub."
    "What theme? Hiroshima? Old ****e?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Pushing the term Gastro, with that menu. nothing there to attract me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Menu for Butler & Barry.

Am I right in thinking that for the 'fish & chips' option at the bottom there in your first photo that it's 14.95 for the fish, some pea puree and tartare sauce, then an extra 3 euro for some fries? That seems pretty nuts to me.

cxJd19o.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

From what I have heard, the design of the bar is supposed to tie in with the name, Butler and Barry. The story being that Butler and Barry were two men from Bray who travelled the world in the 1940's, returning with a load of priceless artifacts, that have been displayed throughout the bar.............

The food menu is definitely lacking in imagination. With their location, they really could have went for a few better seafood option beyond fish and chips and chowder. Look at the food that Fish Bar is doing at the Harbour, as well as Dockyard. Definitely pushing the boat out a lot more (mind the pun). An 8oz fillet steak is just not great value either. Campo Di Fiori do a 10oz fillet for 26 euro.

Anyway, it's early days yet for them and the menu may evolve over time. They'd a pretty good selection of beer from what I saw - The usuals + MAcIvors Cider, Blacks of Kinsale Session IPA, McGargles, Sierra Nevada, Wicklow Wolf X2

From what I have heard, the design of the bar is supposed to tie in with the name, Butler and Barry. The story being that Butler and Barry were two men from Bray who travelled the world in the 1940's, returning with a load of priceless artifacts, that have been displayed throughout the bar.............

Was there an actual Barry and Butler?

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that for the 'fish & chips' option at the bottom there in your first photo that it's 14.95 for the fish, some pea puree and tartare sauce, then an extra 3 euro for some fries? That seems pretty nuts to me.

No you wouldn't pay extra as the dish is fish and chips.

Fries would just be listed as an optional side for other dishes.

Either way, I'm very disappointed with that menu and will most likely not try it as it can be gotten in any pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I hear the new Butler and Barry Chef worked in The Hungry Monk and they have poached experienced managers from other establishments.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Was there an actual Barry and Butler?

There was as much a Barry and Butler as there was a Mermaid that they called the theatre after.

There was as much a Barry and Butler as there was a Mermaid that they called the theatre after.
    So, they're basically trying to create the Ronald McDonald or more likely Mr. Wimpy of the pub world. Jaysus Marie and Josepha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I can just about accept old tat like old suitcases and typewriters hanging from the walls and on shelves when the pub is in an old building and where you can imagine its cool old interesting stuff they found in the attic while renovating the pub (even though we all know it comes from the Irish Theme Pub Bric-a-brack Warehouse LTD). However, in an obviously modern building the Irish Theme pub 'look' just always looks out of place.

Then you've got the Victorian/Edwardian attired Butler and Barry branding painted around the place but also a giant Butler and Barry 1940's Broadway style Sign???

I dunno. I reckon the Duggans let out a huge sigh of relief when they saw the menu. B&B will likely have a good Summer alright but I can see most people quickly drifting back to their regular bars/eateries soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I would echo the opinions here that the menu is pretty lacklustre so far.

We tried it out for lunch last week and the burgers (both chicken & beef) were good quality but not mindblowing by any stretch.

I did like that the spicy wings didn't go for the usual Frank's sauce and instead were done with sriracha.

Overall I can see it being a good addition to the seafront but a more seafood orientated menu would have been my preference given the location.

Calibos wrote: »
    I can just about accept old tat like old suitcases and typewriters hanging from the walls and on shelves when the pub is in an old building and where you can imagine its cool old interesting stuff they found in the attic while renovating the pub (even though we all know it comes from the Irish Theme Pub Bric-a-brack Warehouse LTD). However, in an obviously modern building the Irish Theme pub 'look' just always looks out of place.

Then you've got the Victorian/Edwardian attired Butler and Barry branding painted around the place but also a giant Butler and Barry 1940's Broadway style Sign???

I dunno. I reckon the Duggans let out a huge sigh of relief when they saw the menu. B&B will likely have a good Summer alright but I can see most people quickly drifting back to their regular bars/eateries soon enough.

Yeah it looks like they got very mixed up in themes and styles for the place when they planned it.........could turn out to be a disaster really.

They also have giant tvs around the place, which suggests they want to position themselves as a sports pub. The concept seems a bit off.

Whatever you say about the Duggan's run establishments, their concepts appear to have been very well thought out and executed.

Was in Butler and Barry. The staff I told them they need to make changes, and the staff were like, "It's nice to have a story. Does it matter if it is real or not?" Yes, yes, it does. I told them it was too similar.
    "But there's nowhere else like this on the beach." The Porterhouse. "No, it isn't." This is like Wetherspoons."Wetherspoons isn't sit down." Yes, it is. Nit everyone likes music. "We won't have music aevery night."Why do the Farrells want to make every pub the same? "The Ardmore and the Wild Goose are completely different." If you take the food out, no, no, they're not. You should have more variance in the menu. "We're a pub."
    But a gastropub should have more. You should have a different menu to the Wild Goose. "Its completely different." Give a take or a crab thing, it isn't.

Bit late now but if they'd given it a William Dargan story, it could have been great.

http://www.bray.ie/dargans-railway/

From the site:
    "As well as being involved with the construction of railway he also built canals and reservoirs, but his pet project was in the development of Bray into a thriving seaside resort. He fell in love with Bray for its beauty and charm, and saw the potential it had to become something greater. Of Bray he said:

Bray was unsurpassed for scenic beauty in the whole civilised world. The hand of nature had done much already and now it remained for man to beautify and improve it still further.

Dargan envisioned Bray as the Brighton of Ireland, Brighton being an extremely popular seaside resort. With the rail line, Bray’s natural beauty and the picturesque coast, Dargan set about improving the tourist potential of the town."

.... now that is a theme and the suitcases could still be used.

• Advertisement

What's this Cloud 9 place opening beside the Gem? Another lacklustre covfefe shop?

Advertisement