Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Looked at the menu again - is there another page on the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The Wetherspoons rumour has started again. Bray Head is closing today...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

The Wetherspoons rumour has started again. Bray Head is closing today...

I heard it's going to be a Pennys....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Well I heard it's going to be a Pennyspoons - all pints, pants and pies a euro a pop.

Yes, it's another addition to the Duggan empire!

Couldn't find much online either but a friend of mine was at the soft opening and sent a photo of the menu (attached)

The food tastes lovely in Cow Fish but I dont quite get the "small" and "large" thing on the menu. http://cowfish.ie/menu.html

I go to a restaurant for a meal not some nibbles

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The food tastes lovely in Cow Fish but I dont quite get the "small" and "large" thing on the menu. http://cowfish.ie/menu.html

I go to a restaurant for a meal not some nibbles

The majority of smalls read like a full meal to me, whilst the large are large steaks and a large fish.

Unusual way to do the menu though, will try it out soon.

murpho999 wrote: »
    The majority of smalls read like a full meal to me.
    Thats the problem. A lot of them are not full meal sized.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thats the problem. A lot of them are not full meal sized.
    I think that's the point, it's meant to be more of a tapas type place where you order lots of small dishes and share. Not my cup of tea personally, but I know of people who have been in a large group and liked it.

They are not really Tapas prices.

A couple would not share too many dishes at €10-€11 per go plus sides.

Yep. I think if they were 7/8 euro each I would feel it was better value for money. I ate there the other day. I had a small dish and a side. They were both tiny and I was starving afterwards.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Well, nowhere that claims to do a tapas style menu in Ireland is anything remotely like real tapas anyway, and most dishes are larger than a tapas portion would be in Spain, but at €10 they appear to be more like starter sized portions to me. Anyway, like I said, with a large group it might work out OK, but for a couple it wouldn't, just like it doesn't work, for me at least, in any of the other so-called 'tapas' restaurants around.

Alun wrote: »
    Well, nowhere that claims to do a tapas style menu in Ireland is anything remotely like real tapas anyway, and most dishes are larger than a tapas portion would be in Spain, but at €10 they appear to be more like starter sized portions to me. Anyway, like I said, with a large group it might work out OK, but for a couple it wouldn't, just like it doesn't work, for me at least, in any of the other so-called 'tapas' restaurants around.

The one in Greystones works well. The portions are adequate and the prices reasonable. My gripe with cowfish is I think the portions are small and not good value for money. But I agree with a group you could get a big mix and share.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I like tapas as a concept - it's nice to try a few different things on the rare occasions we eat out. Also starter sizes are way too large in a lot of restaurants (for me anyway).

The one in Greystones works well. The portions are adequate and the prices reasonable. My gripe with cowfish is I think the portions are small and not good value for money. But I agree with a group you could get a big mix and share.

You are forgetting quality over quantity.

I have eaten in the Greystones one and it's not 'tapas'.

Quality of the food is awful and not remotely Spanish as they claim to be.

You are forgetting quality over quantity.

I have eaten in the Greystones one and it's not 'tapas'.

Quality of the food is awful and not remotely Spanish as they claim to be.
    I completely disagree. I feel the quality in Greystones is quite high.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Ate in Cowfish a couple of weekends ago with my wife and two friends. Really enjoyed the food and atmosphere but agree that the menu works better for eating in groups than it would with just 2 of you. The beef short rib in particular was top quality.

Also had takeaway from Pink Salt last night. Easily the best Indian takeaway I've ever had (I already loved Daata but this is another level). Great addition to Bray and looking forward to visiting the restaurant at some point instead of takeaway.

I see that a "Quins Pharmacy" is going into what used to Kelso Curtains on Quinsboro Road.

People complain about coffee shops going into Bray but I'd prefer them to Chemists which there are plenty of.

I see that a "Quins Pharmacy" is going into what used to Kelso Curtains on Quinsboro Road.

People complain about coffee shops going into Bray but I'd prefer them to Chemists which there are plenty of.
    Utterly ridiculous. Don't people have to make business plans these days before getting funding from banks for starting up new businesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Alun wrote: »
    Utterly ridiculous. Don't people have to make business plans these days before getting funding from banks for starting up new businesses?

there are 7 in Greystones, not sure how they can all be making money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It used to be a running joke in our family that you could tell there was something peculiar about the french economy because of the weirdly large number of opticians in every small french town. The Bray version seems to be coffee shops.

It used to be old-fashioned sweetshops, but that was just a bubble(gum).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

loyatemu wrote: »
    there are 7 in Greystones, not sure how they can all be making money.

12 and counting in Bray. That's a lot of prescriptions!

Time for a grumble, but what the hell is going on with the volume coming from Butler and Barry? Apart from the fact it's dreadful, the noise of the place has kept me away so far.
    I imagine there must be a few complaints from residents gone in to the guards, it must be impossible to open a window if you live down the beach!

Really spoils a nice walk in the evening hearing dreadful Oasis covers, and awful club/soulless trance music

B0jangles wrote: »
    It used to be a running joke in our family that you could tell there was something peculiar about the french economy because of the weirdly large number of opticians in every small french town. The Bray version seems to be coffee shops.

It used to be old-fashioned sweetshops, but that was just a bubble(gum).

I really don't find there are that many coffee shops in Bray at all. They are better than chemists, €2 shops and hairdressers and beauticians.

Time for a grumble, but what the hell is going on with the volume coming from Butler and Barry? Apart from the fact it's dreadful, the noise of the place has kept me away so far.
    I imagine there must be a few complaints from residents gone in to the guards, it must be impossible to open a window if you live down the beach!

Really spoils a nice walk in the evening hearing dreadful Oasis covers, and awful club/soulless trance music

Haven't been around in the evening time to notice noise but I hate how all pubs have to have blaring music in them at night time now.

Why do you think the place is dreadful though. Was in it one afternoon and it was ok, decent service and normal pub food.

Nothing special but I wouldn't go as far as dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it has dreadful service, was in there a couple of Friday's ago at about 4. Place was empty but it took me about 20 minutes to flag down a waiter to order another drink (I should have probably got up but I was on my own with my backpack that I didn't want to leave at the table). Think I counted about 6 floor staff too.

It has a nice interior, standard pub grub and nice promos (€5 G&T on Friday's for example). Don't think there was music playing when I was there but I agree about loud music, it's just not for me.

I really don't find there are that many coffee shops in Bray at all.

Now thats hilarious. I just counted 25.
    Blooms
    Spoons (not open yet)
    Starbucks
    Maison mollis
    Little coffee shop
    Liz Annes
    Molloys
    Italian on Quinsboro Road
    Italian on Brennans parade
    Veggie style cafe Albert walk
    2 Italian coffee shops albert walk
    Gourmet cafe
    O Briens
    Uncle Pans
    Noahs ark
    Costa
    The one at the vevay
    The one on Dublin road
    The one beside woodies
    The one at southern x business park
    Finnbees
    The Mermaid
    The one on Parnell Road
    The boathouse
    Dockyard no 8

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Be thankful that there are nice independent coffee shops.

I've lived in Stillorgan and there are very few nice independent places to go.

Now thats hilarious. I just counted 25.

Blooms
    Spoons (not open yet)
    Starbucks
    Maison mollis
    Little coffee shop
    Liz Annes
    Molloys
    Italian on Quinsboro Road
    Italian on Brennans parade
    2 Italian coffee shops albert walk
    Gourmet cafe
    O Briens
    Uncle Pans
    Noahs ark
    Costa
    The one at the vevay
    The one on Dublin road
    The one beside woodies
    The one at southern x business park
    Finnbees
    The Mermaid
    The one on Parnell Road
    The boathouse
    Dockyard no

You really are grouping things together that are not the same i.e. coffee shops/cafes and restaurants.

I would class the following as more than coffee shops as you can get a proper hot meal.

Blooms
    Italian on Brennans parade - Do you mean Campo de Fiori?
    2 Italian coffee shops albert walk -
    Gourmet cafe
    O Briens
    Uncle Pans
    Noahs ark
    The one on Dublin road
    The Mermaid
    The one on Parnell Road
    Dockyard no 8

When you look at that way then you'll look them differently.

I like the food choices that exist in Bray now, particular what the Duggan's have brought and the various genuine Italian options.

It's better than fast food joints and tacky shops.

When people go out they want to eat and it brings life to a town.

Haven't been around in the evening time to notice noise but I hate how all pubs have to have blaring music in them at night time now.

Why do you think the place is dreadful though. Was in it one afternoon and it was ok, decent service and normal pub food.

Nothing special but I wouldn't go as far as dreadful.

The music is dreadful, apologies for the confusion. As I haven't been, I can't judge the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Another salon open up where Central Garage used to be.

Advertisement