Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Didn't have much of a varied menu.
    The Burrito place was open for two weeks IIRC. How long was Spoons? 3? At least I saw people in Spoons.

From what I could see they just had muffins etc which is not good enough. Pity as it's an ideal location overlooking the river.

I would love to see businesses develop along the river, it's a totally under used resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 geewiz

murpho999 wrote: »
    This place appears to be closed already. Is it the shortest lived shop in Bray?

Rumours of their demise etc. I just had coffee at Spoons this morning, like almost every day in recent weeks. They're certainly not closed, and not going to. I agree, great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

They should knock a couple of lights on the outside : ) Or maybe a giant SPOON!!

I've driven by and not really paid it much attention but it's in a prime location so would be great for them to thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

zoobizoo wrote: »
    They should knock a couple of lights on the outside : ) Or maybe a giant SPOON!!

I've driven by and not really paid it much attention but it's in a prime location so would be great for them to thrive.

And maybe open a bit longer than 8:12-12:37 M-Thu, or whatever hours they follow. I swear I have never once seen the place open, and have driven past it dozens of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It looks too basic, theres something missing about the whole place, they need to sort out the front to attract people in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've been in spoons - wasn't really impressed - decor is just ok, furniture squashed in, food just OK.

Right now in terms of cafe/coffee shops in Bray I rate the following highly
    Noahs Ark
    Maison Mollies
    The Italian ones (Quinsboro Rd, Brennans Parade and Albert Walk)

Gourmet cafe is appalling and I cant understand why it is always busy. The seats all covered in Gaffer tape are beyond ridiculous

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Gourmet cafe is appalling and I cant understand why it is always busy. The seats all covered in Gaffer tape are beyond ridiculous

Same reason why Molloys is still going... . If you don't care about decor or the taste of your coffee, then why wouldn't you go there.

geewiz wrote: »
    Rumours of their demise etc. I just had coffee at Spoons this morning, like almost every day in recent weeks. They're certainly not closed, and not going to. I agree, great location.

It really looks closed. Saw it on Saturday around 4 and it looked closed unless they never turn the lights on.

I've been in spoons - wasn't really impressed - decor is just ok, furniture squashed in, food just OK.

Right now in terms of cafe/coffee shops in Bray I rate the following highly
    Noahs Ark
    Maison Mollies
    The Italian ones (Quinsboro Rd, Brennans Parade and Albert Walk)

Agree with all of above especially with the oxymoron "Gourmet Cafe". Awful dump. Closest thing I've seen to an English greasy spoon cafe.

I would also recommend Dockyard No 8 in the harbour. Decent grub there, good coffee and the place is packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I've had eggs benedict in the Gourmet, and was impressed.

But I hate the layout of the place.

Was in Blooms for the first time this week - on the Quinnsboro Road nearish the railway station. I was very impressed with the food, and the staff. Surprised at how nice everything was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've had eggs benedict in the Gourmet, and was impressed.

But I hate the layout of the place.

Was in Blooms for the first time this week - on the Quinnsboro Road nearish the railway station. I was very impressed with the food, and the staff. Surprised at how nice everything was!

Yeah I've been in twice, nice little spot.

Convenience store has opened up where Holland's Off License used to be...

Nice to see more businesses on the Main Street but such a pity to see the town losing such a great off license and being replaced with a convenience store

Marlowe's dry cleaners closed yesterday after 42 years in the town. Was very surprised to see that.

Convenience store has opened up where Holland's Off License used to be...

Nice to see more businesses on the Main Street but such a pity to see the town losing such a great off license and being replaced with a convenience store

Seems to be related to the Gala owners - a Brother or Uncle or something.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Marlowe's dry cleaners closed yesterday after 42 years in the town. Was very surprised to see that.

Sad to see them go. I always found the staff there so friendly.

Terry Pratchet

I see a new bedlinen/curtain store has opened on Quinsboro Road.

Do the council not enforce any standards on signage and shop fronts. I think it looks very tacky from the outside (never mind the pile him high) approach on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I see a new bedlinen/curtain store has opened on Quinsboro Road.

Do the council not enforce any standards on signage and shop fronts. I think it looks very tacky from the outside (never mind the pile him high) approach on the inside.
    saw that sign over the weekend, the quality of signage especially on the Quinnsborough Road is shockingly bad.

saw that sign over the weekend, the quality of signage especially on the Quinnsborough Road is shockingly bad.

Yes, that and "Tony's Asian Store" where NIB used to be. He just has a cardboard sign. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Agreed that there really should be strict guidelines regarding acceptable shop fronts.

There are some really tacky or downright poor shop fronts on the Main Street and as mentioned Quinsboro Road is also very bad in this regard.

I do recall the council offering grants a few years back for upgrading shopfronts but it wasn't availed of by many owners.

I wouldn't go into either the curtain shop or the Asian market because of their signage.

It's crazy that the council have no rules for this or enforcement.

The worst I've see is the pink nail bar where Ledwidges was..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I wouldn't go into either the curtain shop or the Asian market because of their signage.

It's crazy that the council have no rules for this or enforcement.

The worst I've see is the pink nail bar where Ledwidges was..

Other than the anecdotes surrounding Ledwidge's the shop frontage was the only other positive I can think of. What they have done to it since is nothing short of criminal to my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Banditos Burritos/Sprinkles on the corner has been given a fresh coat of bright pink paint, someone must be moving in, good luck to them, that site has a bit of a record at this stage.

Thargor wrote: »
    Banditos Burritos/Sprinkles on the corner has been given a fresh coat of bright pink paint, someone must be moving in, good luck to them, that site has a bit of a record at this stage.

Lush type shop apparently

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Just saw on Facebook that China Kitchen is closing. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1467163226736733&id=332704730182594

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Moody_mona wrote: »

That's a bit sad, we used to get a take-away from there pretty regularly when in the mood for an old-fashioned, very sugary, very sticky chinese meal :) Then they changed their skewered satay chicken starter from delicious to very nasty and we never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Does anyone know what the story is with the KFC building?

It's actually a disgrace the way it has been left (cracked windows, tables thrown about everywhere inside) and really doesn't help that street at all.

At least it's not for lack of business, The owner is retiring.

Still a shame to see it close, It'll probably be a newsagents in January, that section of the town is completely lacking one of those :pac:

At least it's not for lack of business, The owner is retiring.

Still a shame to see it close, It'll probably be a newsagents in January, that section of the town is completely lacking one of those :pac:

In fairness Spar and Nolans and McCarthys ran along nicely for years and a newsagent beside wild goose is welcome!!!

Terry Pratchet

In fairness Spar and Nolans and McCarthys ran along nicely for years and a newsagent beside wild goose is welcome!!!
    actually, that is fair. I was a daily fixture in McCarthy's walking to school :). comment rescinded.

• Advertisement

actually, that is fair. I was a daily fixture in McCarthy's walking to school :). comment rescinded.

I miss Spar on that side of the street :rolleyes:

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement