Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Another coffee shop, hurrah!!!!!

I wouldn't view this as a coffee shop but more of cafe bar which would be welcome.

What would you expect on the seafront? A shop?

I don't get the complaints about "Coffee Shops" in Bray.

What Bray has too many of is €2 Shops, charity shops, bookies, hairdressers and beauty salons.
    We need more clothes shops, homeware stores and good quality eating establisments.

I would view a lot of the coffee shops in Bray as not great. Liz Anne's, Molloy's etc and not places you'd go for lunch.

I'd welcome more with quality options that attract more people to the town and make it vibrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

You don't get the complaints about "Coffee Shops" in Bray... my last count was 13

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

You don't get the complaints about "Coffee Shops" in Bray... my last count was 13
    Is 13 meant to be too many? Doesn't seem like too much to me with population and the amount of visitors to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dunno lads, but I doubt a Decwell's DIY store would do good on the seafront.

I really don't see that as a lot.
    People like to eat and drink stuff and Bray is a big town that is supposed to attract tourists.

I'd say it's greatly outnumbered by the amount of barbers and also hairdressers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't see that as a lot.
    People like to eat and drink stuff and Bray is a big town that is supposed to attract tourists.

I'd say it's greatly outnumbered by the amount of barbers and also hairdressers.

there's probably a similar number in Greystones which is half the size of Bray. People like coffee and cake :)

"Come visit bray we have lovely coffee and cakes "...

"Come visit bray we have lovely coffee and cakes "...

No but places like Dockyard No 8 and Platform Pizza do get a name for themselves outside the town and attract people to Bray.

I really don't know why you think there are too many.

What would you expect to be put i to tthe former Strand Bar? A clothes shop?

Well bray could do with a decent clothes shop.. i was talking about the main street really were there are clusters of coffee shops . The seafront is great has a lot to offer would love to see some decent shops in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Looks like the "all you can eat" Chinese buffet place (formerly The Emporium) is turning into a Tapas Grill/Wine Bar called Galito.

Also recently tried out the Quay Fish Shop place and found it great value and top notch quality (got tiger prawns)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also recently tried out the Quay Fish Shop place and found it great value and top notch quality (got tiger prawns)
    Got some lovely brill in there on Friday, and some samphire too, which I've never seen here up till now.

Looks like the "all you can eat" Chinese buffet place (formerly The Emporium) is turning into a Tapas Grill/Wine Bar called Galito.

Is that opposite the Royal Hotel?

Also, some other food thing going into what was "Tropica" on the Quinsboro Road.

Is that opposite the Royal Hotel?

Also, some other food thing going into what was "Tropica" on the Quinsboro Road.

Yep, that's the one. Only noticed the new shopfront at the weekend.

The new place going into Tropica seems to be more of the same i.e. Asian street food. I think Tropica suffered a lot after getting shut down by the food inspector last year (for a day I think so nothing massively serious) so might be a relaunch?

Yep, that's the one. Only noticed the new shopfront at the weekend.

The new place going into Tropica seems to be more of the same i.e. Asian street food. I think Tropica suffered a lot after getting shut down by the food inspector last year (for a day I think so nothing massively serious) so might be a relaunch?

Yes I think you're right.

Also, the way they had it all closed off and you could not see in made it look very unwelcoming.

I heard very bad reports about the food quality before the inspection anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Saw some Indian looking folk in what used to be Lings on the Albert Walk. Got excited that there might be a decent Indian just around the corner from me. Signage went up the other day....

Feckin Mizzoni's Pizza!!

BTW. Haven't had a Lings since they moved. Regular for years. Ordered Takeaway delivery soon after they moved. Took 2 minutes to explain where the house was even though its about a 20 second walk from the location they'd just moved from!! Driver still ended up calling me to find the place and I ended up telling him to park outside my house like he always did up till the week before when he was picking up orders from Albert Walk Lings. Still took him 10 minutes after the call and the food was lukewarm. Never ordered from them again. Only Chinese we've had since then is my own homecooked masterpiece. ;-)

Calibos wrote: »
    Saw some Indian looking folk in what used to be Lings on the Albert Walk. Got excited that there might be a decent Indian just around the corner from me. Signage went up the other day....

Feckin Mizzoni's Pizza!!

BTW. Haven't had a Lings since they moved. Regular for years. Ordered Takeaway delivery soon after they moved. Took 2 minutes to explain where the house was even though its about a 20 second walk from the location they'd just moved from!! Driver still ended up calling me to find the place and I ended up telling him to park outside my house like he always did up till the week before when he was picking up orders from Albert Walk Lings. Still took him 10 minutes after the call and the food was lukewarm. Never ordered from them again. Only Chinese we've had since then is my own homecooked masterpiece. ;-)

Sure don't you have Daata Tandoori around the corner? Nice food there.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The food in grand foods is nice

http://grandfoods.ie/menu/

I see Mix'd new salad bar open too and hear people saying good things

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The food in grand foods is nice

http://grandfoods.ie/menu/
    It does look interesting looking at that menu, I grant you but it's an odd looking kind of place from the outside. I walked past it the other day and didn't feel particularly inclined to go in as you couldn't really look inside properly. The name doesn't really tell you very much either ... is it a shop, a cafe, a restaurant or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Alun wrote: »
    It does look interesting looking at that menu, I grant you but it's an odd looking kind of place from the outside. I walked past it the other day and didn't feel particularly inclined to go in as you couldn't really look inside properly. The name doesn't really tell you very much either ... is it a shop, a cafe, a restaurant or what?
    A kind of shop, cafe, takeaway all in one

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why didn't you just go in and have a look?

I went in on Saturday and received a nice welcome. I said I was just looking as we'd already lunched and the lady who worked there was very welcoming and took us through the shop and explained the menus in the restaurant and the products in the shop.

The food looked decent and was reasonably priced. I'll try it at some point.

• Advertisement

I didn't have time, I was just walking past on the way to somewhere else. As I said, they had all kinds of stuff up in the window obscuring the view inside, so it didn't grab my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

I went in on Saturday and received a nice welcome. I said I was just looking as we'd already lunched and the lady who worked there was very welcoming and took us through the shop and explained the menus in the restaurant and the products in the shop.

The food looked decent and was reasonably priced.  I'll try it at some point.
    Did you see what the opening hours are? I can't seem to find them on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭skibum

Did you see what the opening hours are? I can't seem to find them on the website.

They are open 11am till 10pm, 7 days a week.
    I had the "Drunken Noodles" last night, thought it was great value for €6.50.
    It was delicious and they have portions of sesame soy sauce and a nice spicey house sauce to add to the meal.
    I will definitely be back as the menu have items other takeaways don't have, nice to try new stuff for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

skibum wrote: »
    They are open 11am till 10pm, 7 days a week.
    I had the "Drunken Noodles" last night, thought it was great value for €6.50.
    It was delicious and they have portions of sesame soy sauce and a nice spicey house sauce to add to the meal.
    I will definitely be back as the menu have items other takeaways don't have, nice to try new stuff for a change.

That all sounds great, I am looking forward to trying it out!
    Anyone been to the salad place? Any good?

I didn't have time, I was just walking past on the way to somewhere else. As I said, they had all kinds of stuff up in the window obscuring the view inside, so it didn't grab my attention.

Sounds like to me that it did.:cool:

I see from Bray Open Forum that the Caffe Vergnano place in The Strand Hotel has now opened. Menu looks decent with plenty of traditional Italian options.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I see from Bray Open Forum that the Caffe Vergnano place in The Strand Hotel has now opened. Menu looks decent with plenty of traditional Italian options.

I hope you like your coffee luke warm, its the Italian was apparently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I wasn't impressed with the service there last week. The balcony is gorgeous, loads of lovely seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Was in there last night. Service was all over the place - we were offered the wrong food about 3 or 4 times. Coffee was nice (Luke warm) as were the cakes. Balcony is lovely. Didn’t have the food.
    I’d say it will improve over the coming weeks when the staff get used to working there.

• Advertisement

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I hope you like your coffee luke warm, its the Italian was apparently :rolleyes:

Not lukewarm but 96 degees celsius is the correct temperature.

Coffee made with boiling hot water is definitely not as nice.

Advertisement