Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Not sure, but judging by the interior when it was The Bridge Cafe it'll need to be gutted, I'd be surprised if it's open by Christmas.

Looks like work on this is flying along (from the outside at least) and the name over the front now says O'Sullivans (named after the proprietor).

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

Not sure, but judging by the interior when it was The Bridge Cafe it'll need to be gutted, I'd be surprised if it's open by Christmas.

Looks like work on this is flying along (from the outside at least) and the name over the front now says O'Sullivans (named after the proprietor).
    I had a quick peek inside yesterday and the bar seems to be ready also. I passed at 7am one morning and again at 7pm and they were working away on it both times so they must have a very aggressive timetable. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I''d say this could be a good spot as they've done great with Dockyard No 8. Be good to have something good in Main Street area (I know it's Castle St) as opposed to the seafront.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It all sounds great. Although the O’Sullivan’s name is giving me flashbacks to the old O’Sullivan’s food place on the Main Street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

It all sounds great. Although the O’Sullivan’s name is giving me flashbacks to the old O’Sullivan’s food place on the Main Street :D

Its opening tomorrow according to people on the Bray open forum Facebook page. Can't find anything official.

• Advertisement

Its opening tomorrow according to people on the Bray open forum Facebook page. Can't find anything official.

Would be great as I need a good day out drinking soon. But wouldn’t trust BOF full of quacks that think tap water is riddle with diseases :pac:

2s13aip.jpg

Went by it this evening. Looks good. Love the old school Guinness sign.

Great to see a proper place there as it's a great site and had been a great pub (McCormack's) for years.

Food should be great too as Dockyard is great.
    Hope this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Saw this on Facebook:

O’SULLIVANS BAR, CASTLE STREET, BRAY IS NOW OPEN
    Open for drinks this Wednesday & Thursday from 4pm
    Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 12.30pm
    Food will be served in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Went past Noah's Ark earlier and the signage is gone from above the door. Looked a lot like barbers chairs going in too

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Went past Noah's Ark earlier and the signage is gone from above the door. Looked a lot like barbers chairs going in too

They had a post in their Facebook page last week about being closed for a few days this week for some necessary work or something like that but the post is gone now.

• Advertisement

Would be very sad if Noah's Ark was gone. There is certainly no need for another barber - there are at least 4 on the Main St alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

fjon wrote: »
    Would be very sad if Noah's Ark was gone. There is certainly no need for another barber - there are at least 4 on the Main St alone.

The Mainstreet Charter demands that there be 5 of everything on the Mainstreet. 5 Chemists, 5 Pubs, 5 Charity Shops, 5 coffeeshops, 5 Discount Shops etc etc ;);) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I see a planning application for a takeaway on the vacant unit half way up on the left of the village arcade

Dropped into O'Sullivan's today for a look.

They've done a nice job on it but I was disappointed with the menu.

They have have gone for the standard pub food that you find in every pub now, burger, curry, steak sandwich etc, lots of chips.

I thought they would have put more of a "Dockyard" stamp and originality which would have been exciting and different.

fjon wrote: »

My wife was talking to someone about this, so I can't vouch for authenticity, but apparently the closing is temporary for refurbishment and they will open again in a slightly different format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Looks like the place on the Quinsborough road that was briefly asian-fusion /street food restaurant is being refurbished and will reopen as... a thai / street food restaurant? From what I've seen so far, in Bray 'Street food' seems to be a restaurant-speak for 'pretty expensive for what you get'.
    Hopefully this new place will break away from that and have a solid thai menu - that would be wonderful!

B0jangles wrote: »
    Looks like the place on the Quinsborough road that was briefly asian-fusion /street food restaurant is being refurbished and will reopen as... a thai / street food restaurant? From what I've seen so far, in Bray 'Street food' seems to be a restaurant-speak for 'pretty expensive for what you get'.
    Hopefully this new place will break away from that and have a solid thai menu - that would be wonderful!

What place are you referring to as I don't know other street food places in Bray

This place is a chain.

Website is here

Never heard of them before so no idea what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

murpho999 wrote: »
    What place are you referring to as I don't know other street food places in Bray

This place is a chain.

Website is here

Never heard of them before so no idea what to expect.

Now that I think about it, I think most of the places that had 'street food' in the name were in that premises :pac:

Pizzas ‘n’ cream is closing down according to their Facebook. Shame as they used to have really nice pizzas however ever since their was competition from platform their quality dropped and their prices didn’t either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Pizzas ‘n’ cream is closing down according to their Facebook. Shame as they used to have really nice pizzas however ever since their was competition from platform their quality dropped and their prices didn’t either.

Pity to see.

I liked their pizzas and will miss having them as an option but yeah, their prices were high considering the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

real shame about Pizzas n Cream, it was a Bray institution. I celebrated passing my Inter Cert there back in the middle ages.

I hadn't been there in years though, whereas we've been into Platform Pizza quite regularly. Their hidden location can't have helped either now that the seafront is so much busier than it was back in the 80s/90s.

That's really sad. I told my 6 year old daughter and she was in tears as it's her favourite restaurant. It's really a shame that they didn't give people more notice, I'm sure they would have got a lot of nostalgic customers if they'd stayed open a few more days.
    Whatever the reasons for it closing, it's obvious there's a lot of love for the place looking at the Facebook comments.
    I wonder what the longest running Bray restaurant is after this?

I'm sad to see Pizzas 'N' Cream go. It was a revelation when it first opened as Bray was a barren place for food.

However, I do think the quality declined in recent years and I was not impressed with it when I last went.

Clearly many others found it too and that's why it's closing.

Pizzas of another level are available in Platform and Campo de Fiori.

I'm sad to see Pizzas 'N' Cream go. It was a revelation when it first opened as Bray was a barren place for food.

However, I do think the quality declined in recent years and I was not impressed with it when I last went.

Clearly many others found it too and that's why it's closing.

Pizzas of another level are available in Platform and Campo de Fiori.

......Provided you prefer wafer thin crispy bases with much sparser toppings.

I've never been to the states but I've never had a better Pizza than Pizza 'n' Cream anywhere in Ireland or continental Europe because I guess I just prefer an American Style thicker Stonebaked base with lots of Mozzerella and toppings. I'll happily eat the Italian style thin crispy base with sparse everything if I've no other choice but I always did have a choice 30 seconds from my gaff......until now.

I'm gutted tbh.

Looks like I'll be asking the chef's next time I see any of them where they source their Dough and Salami etc and what exactly was in the Olive and Herb and the Tomato sauce mix and watch a few Pizza Base spinning tutorials on youtube. Then its some stone slabs for our large Barrel shaped BBQ/Smoker that can hit 500deg and I'll start making my own. Not interested in Italian Style so none of the other local joints will likely benefit from P&C's closure as far as my family goes.

Calibos wrote: »
    ......Provided you prefer wafer thin crispy bases with much sparser toppings.

I've never been to the states but I've never had a better Pizza than Pizza 'n' Cream anywhere in Ireland or continental Europe because I guess I just prefer an American Style thicker Stonebaked base with lots of Mozzerella and toppings. I'll happily eat the Italian style thin crispy base with sparse everything if I've no other choice but I always did have a choice 30 seconds from my gaff......until now.

I'm gutted tbh.

Looks like I'll be asking the chef's next time I see any of them where they source their Dough and Salami etc and what exactly was in the Olive and Herb and the Tomato sauce mix and watch a few Pizza Base spinning tutorials on youtube. Then its some stone slabs for our large Barrel shaped BBQ/Smoker that can hit 500deg and I'll start making my own. Not interested in Italian Style so none of the other local joints will likely benefit from P&C's closure as far as my family goes.

Prefer the Italian thin base myself, and Italians, you know they invented the pizza.

American ones are fine but too thick for me and unhealthy.

Prefer the Italian thin base myself, and Italians, you know they invented the pizza.

American ones are fine but too thick for me and unhealthy.

Lucky for me then that I couldn't give a fiddlers who invented it and whether my favourite pizza is the same as how its made in the 'old country' and nor does it constitute enough of my diet to be unhealthy. Water is unhealthy if you drink too much of it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Tippex wrote: »
    Nope the case was due to be decided back in june but nothing yet
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/300802.htm

Appeal by Tesco to the proposed Lidl has been rejected and ABP have granted permission to proceed.

http://www.eplanning.ie/WicklowCC/AppFileRefDetails/17469/0
    Open view scanned files, see first listed Appeal Decision letter, dated today 7 Nov.

Looks like the application for a Costa up by Woodies has also been approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How long do you think it will take for that Lidl to be built now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Hard to know. I remember from reading the initial application that there was a requirement that a signalling upgrade be carried out at the Killarney/Boghall crossroads prior to work commencing, and I see from the latest letter that the access road to the site from the Killarney Rd side needs to be complete before other work on site can commence also.

12 months maybe, too optimistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'll have to trawl through the planning drawings again, but I'm still concerned about the traffic implications for that junction. It's a mess already for various reasons, and adding an extra entrance, or is it two?, certainly won't improve matters.

Advertisement