Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

There will be two entrances to the site [during and when complete], a new one that breaks through from the Killarney Rd Business Park, and the old entrance off the Boghall - from memory, would need to go back and check also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Interesting. How on earth do they expect the new entrance on Boghall Road, the existing entrance to the shopping centre and the Schools Road to all work together without creating gridlock? It's a huge mess as it is already when it's busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Thargor wrote: »
    How long do you think it will take for that Lidl to be built now?
    Plastik wrote: »
    Hard to know. I remember from reading the initial application that there was a requirement that a signalling upgrade be carried out at the Killarney/Boghall crossroads prior to work commencing, and I see from the latest letter that the access road to the site from the Killarney Rd side needs to be complete before other work on site can commence also.

12 months maybe, too optimistic?

Based on works I have seen and works I have been a part of on previous Lidl projects, it will be turned around very quickly. The only thing that is going to hold up this job is works on the new entrances and a bit of messing about with the land. But they will have the actual store built from scratch in 2-3 months. Say another 2 months to sort out the land and entrances. A bit of messing about with snags, sign off, hand over etc.. another month. I think it could be done in 6 or so months from when they begin the works.
    A previous Lidl project I worked on was done in 10 weeks from the day the started. They don't mess about at all.

A previous Lidl project I worked on was done in 10 weeks from the day the started. They don't mess about at all.
    Most of those will have been the more usual pre-fabricated standard shops they put up on greenfield sites though?

It looks like this will be more akin to the other Bray Lidl where it's an existing building, or at least the foundations, being repurposed with more 'real' building work being done than in the other case.

Ah well, if it causes too much hassle at the junction, I'll have to find another route to get to Aldi instead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Alun wrote: »
    Most of those will have been the more usual pre-fabricated standard shops they put up on greenfield sites though?

It looks like this will be more akin to the other Bray Lidl where it's an existing building, or at least the foundations, being repurposed with more 'real' building work being done than in the other case.

Yeah fair enough, most of them are pre-fabricated and brought in on a truck and dropped in place.
    I am not sure of the condition of the building up there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they demolished it and started again, maybe reusing the foundations as you said.
    In that case then yeah it will probably take more time. 10-12 months is a realistic estimate though I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Alun wrote: »

They are demolishing the old factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People said the same issue about entrances when Lidl opened it's first shop in Bray and it was fine.

Traffic is just bad everywhere.

Lidl will attract local traffic anyway so it won't really lead to an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

They are demolishing the old factory?

The proposed development will comprise the following elements: (1) demolition of tbe existing industrial premises (c4638 sqm) and security hut (c14sqm)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I see the Townhall Bookshop is going to close probably before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dr Strange wrote: »
    I see the Townhall Bookshop is going to close probably before Christmas.

wow - I remember going in there to buy 2nd hand fantasy books as a teenager. Clearly 30 years without me as a customer has finally hit their bottom line (more seriously I guess the owner is retiring?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

loyatemu wrote: »
    wow - I remember going in there to buy 2nd hand fantasy books as a teenager. Clearly 30 years without me as a customer has finally hit their bottom line (more seriously I guess the owner is retiring?)

Yes, Henry is not very well and is retiring now while he still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

murpho999 wrote: »
    What place are you referring to as I don't know other street food places in Bray

This place is a chain.

Website is here

Never heard of them before so no idea what to expect.

Lana does great Asian food (cheap and cheerful vibe). I've been to the ones in Tralee and Limerick. If you eat in, you get complimentary whipped ice cream for dessert that you can serve yourself from the machine. The kids love that!

Ate dinner in Lana on Monday. Generous portions, food is very nice and the service is brilliant.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Lana does great Asian food (cheap and cheerful vibe). I've been to the ones in Tralee and Limerick. If you eat in, you get complimentary whipped ice cream for dessert that you can serve yourself from the machine. The kids love that!

Ok, I'll give it a try sometime. Sounds very similar to Kyoto in Dun Laoghaire.

Looks like there's a new restaurant open where Noah's Ark used to be - "Bee'z Nee'z" (their apostrophes, not mine).
    Also, is Twizzlers gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

fjon wrote: »
    Looks like there's a new restaurant open where Noah's Ark used to be - "Bee'z Nee'z" (their apostrophes, not mine).
    Also, is Twizzlers gone?

It seems twizzlers is closed yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Also, is Twizzlers gone?

It seems twizzlers is closed yes

According to a post from one of the owners on Facebook, the 2 owners received job offers so sold it but don’t know what the new owners plans for it are.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    According to a post from one of the owners on Facebook, the 2 owners received job offers so sold it but don’t know what the new owners plans for it are.

The shelves have been stripped! It doesnt look open

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Also, is Twizzlers gone?
    No surprise to me. The pizza in Noahs Ark was tiny and expensive so only ordered there once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Plus the staff were some of the most incompetent I've ever come across.

I spotted a notice in the window of the old empty Campo De Fiori restaurant so went over to have a look hoping it was something to do with it reopening as a restaurant, but no, apparently the owners of the amusement arcade next door have applied for planning permission to convert the use to ... another amusement arcade!

http://www.eplanning.ie/WicklowCC/AppFileRefDetails/181188/0

Really, do we need another one of these on the seafront? I see from Twitter there are plans to build some kind of "civic space" in the area between this and the Sea Life building, surely some kind of cafe / restaurant would be a far more suitable use?

https://twitter.com/stevensgreen1/status/1072488638339006466

EDIT: I see there are plenty of submissions against this already lodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Jaysus! Between McGettigans getting wrecked in a Traveller Riot and the Mainstreet Fire today, it hasnt been a great week for businesses on the Mainstreet. :(

Calibos wrote: »
    Jaysus! Between McGettigans getting wrecked in a Traveller Riot and the Mainstreet Fire today, it hasnt been a great week for businesses on the Mainstreet. :(

What happened in McGettigan's?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aldi will be closed from the 26th to the 31st of January for refurbishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

murpho999 wrote: »
    What happened in McGettigan's?

News story here

Ah Here Lads!!

Peters Takeaway on mainstreet just down from Civic Centre entrance burnt out overnight!

Looks like Fire and Insurance Investigators will be out in force on the mainstreet this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Main Street starting to look like Syria.

Yiz arent going to believe this folks.

2 units of Bray fire brigade at the Boomerang on Quinsboro road!!

• Advertisement

Road open again, apparently was related to the fire on Friday and not a new fire.
    The rumour I heard on the pizza place was that one of the appliances seems to have caused the fire in there, but not sure how accurate that is.

Advertisement