Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

Looks like the "all you can eat" Chinese buffet place (formerly The Emporium) is turning into a Tapas Grill/Wine Bar called Galito.

Also recently tried out the Quay Fish Shop place and found it great value and top notch quality (got tiger prawns)

Look like the Quay Fish Shop is closed. They haven't opened since Christmas and one of their suppliers is saying on Facebook that they weren't making any money and decided to close. That's disappointing as always liked their fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Look like the Quay Fish Shop is closed. They haven't opened since Christmas and one of their suppliers is saying on Facebook that they weren't making any money and decided to close. That's disappointing as always liked their fish.

I’d say the fire in Peter’s pizza didn’t help issues either.

It’s a shame to see them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thargor wrote: »
    Main Street starting to look like Syria.

Ffs talk about dramatic exaggeration

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Calibos wrote: »
    Yiz arent going to believe this folks.

2 units of Bray fire brigade at the Boomerang on Quinsboro road!!

Lol. Nothing happened there so no I dont believe it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I’d say the fire in Peter’s pizza didn’t help issues either.

It’s a shame to see them go.

I think they closed quietly before the fire to be honest

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anytime I went to the fish shop I found they had very little fish on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

murpho999 wrote: »
    Anytime I went to the fish shop I found they had very little fish on offer.
    Odd, they always had plenty in there when I was in there. I didn't find the staff particularly friendly or helpful though.

Alun wrote: »
    Odd, they always had plenty in there when I was in there. I didn't find the staff particularly friendly or helpful though.

The one on the Florence road is the same imho. Big shelf of ice with about 4 fish in it.

It's disappointing in Ireland as an island nation in what a poor selection of fish there is. Especially when compared to fish markets and shops abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Again, not my experience. TBH it depends on what day of the week you go in. Here, fish seems associated with Friday, so go in on Monday morning and you won't find much for sale.

Alun wrote: »
    Again, not my experience. TBH it depends on what day of the week you go in. Here, fish seems associated with Friday, so go in on Monday morning and you won't find much for sale.

Saturdays. I work on Monday mornings.

I think the fish/ Friday thing is pretty much gone these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ffs talk about dramatic exaggeration
    It was a joke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Anyone know about liberty freedom from addiction opening were mc cabes pharmacy was. Pesume its part of liberty church

Anyone know about liberty freedom from addiction opening were mc cabes pharmacy was. Pesume its part of liberty church

I thought I saw a sign this morning at the Connolly's shoe shop beside the burnt out Hilton's Pharmacy on Main St?

McCabe's is still on Quinsboro Road isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Yep my mistake. A quick google seach the shop is a charity shop belonging to liberty recycle in blue bell nothing to do with the church they do great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Yay. Another charity shop (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yay. Another charity shop (!)

You couldnt make it up could you! :rolleyes: :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It had to be either a charity shop or. a coffee shop really, nothing else would make sense :pac:

2011 wrote: »
    It had to be either a charity shop or. a coffee shop really, nothing else would make sense :pac:

Could have been a hairdresser/beautician or a pharmacy.

Don't get the hate for coffee shops/restaurants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

murpho999 wrote: »

Don't get the hate for coffee shops/restaurants though.

Possibly by people who don't eat out much?

It's great to see so much choice in the town.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Possibly by people who don't eat out much?

It's great to see so much choice in the town.

Yes On Main st alone there's only Liz Anne's , Mermaid Theatre, Spoons and what used to be Finnbee's that I can think of.

Don't find it many at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

+ Gourmet Cafe, O'Briens, the tiny little one on Florence road...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don’t forget the newest and best coffee of them all copper & straw up by Michael Doherty’s.

Plus Bees knees. The deli place beside Ulster bank. The place behind Mc donalds. Mc Donalds itself. The pink salt, the mount Everest, the spanish place, pubs that serve food (wild goose ), Jasmine house, the take aways (macaris, orchard court, slow food, apache and Peter's before it burnt down), take away other food- larder, keegans.... , the royal...
    Nope. Deffo room for another place to get a coffee (!) On Main street

Edit: Yes- mixd- that was the place I couldn't think of beside Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

And mix’d

Plus Bees knees. The deli place beside Ulster bank. The place behind Mc donalds. Mc Donalds itself. The pink salt, the mount Everest, the spanish place, pubs that serve food (wild goose ), Jasmine house, the take aways (macaris, orchard court, slow food, apache and Peter's before it burnt down), take away other food- larder, keegans.... , the royal...
    Nope. Deffo room for another place to get a coffee (!) On Main street

Edit: Yes- mixd- that was the place I couldn't think of beside Ulster.

Hold on, people are always complaining about coffee shops but you referring to restaurants and bars. There is a difference.

The Larder and Keegan's are bakeries.

Really don't see how it's bad for a town to have good food options.

They bring life to a town and offer a lot more than charity shops.

Dont know any Spanish place in Bray either.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

[quote=murpho999

Dont know any Spanish place in Bray either.[/quote]

Possibly means the Portuguese place across from the Royal. Galitos I think it’s called.

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Possibly means the Portuguese place across from the Royal. Galitos I think it’s called.

Yes, I'd say that's it. Again a restaurant not a coffee shop.

I'm not giving out as such, I'm just disappointed with the town council's shortsighted attitude to town/ urban planning. The main street has previous little variety - eateries and charity shops abound. Lovely and all as they are, that and the high rates, and the traffic choking the town means that the town is dying on its feet.

I was down Sat week ago in the mid afternoon and it was a pedestrian ghost town.

I'm not giving out as such, I'm just disappointed with the town council's shortsighted attitude to town/ urban planning. The main street has previous little variety - eateries and charity shops abound. Lovely and all as they are, that and the high rates, and the traffic choking the town means that the town is dying on its feet.

I was down Sat week ago in the mid afternoon and it was a pedestrian ghost town.

Agree about the lack of quality shops but I don't think restaurants/coffee shops are the problem. I think they add to the place.

What is not needed is pharmacies, charity shops, hairdressers, beauticians or bookies.

I don't see how the council can be blamed for all shops that have opened.

For example, Connolly's closing and turning into a charity shop.

Hopefully, the Florentine Centre (or Bray Town Centre as it appears to be now called), will boost the town somewhat, attract more shoppers and lead to further investment.

Last week could have been quiet by the way because of the rugby. Noticed that myself when I was down the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I'm sure everyone knows by now the Porterhouse has been sold to the group that owns Butler & Barry and the Wild Goose.
    It's going to be rebranded as The Old Anchor sometime over the next few months.
    Initially they were in talks with the Duggans about the purchase, but that fell through.
    I have many good memories of the early days of the pub and had many visits in my early 20s. A pub with its own beer was a complete novelty back in the 90s. I think with the craft beer scene of the last 5-10 years it kind of lagged behind, but for over a decade it was almost one of a kind.

Advertisement