Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Campo de fiori is closing. Last day this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Dr Strange wrote: »

Bombay pantry also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

No way! Really?

zoobizoo wrote: »
    No way! Really?

Just announced it on their FB page today. The owners are going back to Sardinia.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's a shame about Campo de Fiori.

Not surprised about Bombay Pantry though, always thought they were overrated, and on the few occasions I did order from them, it arrived late and cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Why is this in a thread about new shops in Bray?

Why is this in a thread about new shops in Bray?

Is that all you're worried about?! Campo will be sorely missed here, loved the place.

Why do restaurants only give one or two days notice of closing? You'd think a place like Campo or Pizza's in cream would have made a bit more money if they announced a month in advance, as people would book in for a last meal at the places.

I don't understand the sudden closures at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Thats a shame. Only moved into the area the last year and tried the food over Christmas. Was lovely. Very friendly staff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Why do restaurants only give one or two days notice of closing? You'd think a place like Campo or Pizza's in cream would have made a bit more money if they announced a month in advance, as people would book in for a last meal at the places.

I don't understand the sudden closures at all.

agree with this the lack of notice can be a bit baffling. Unlike shoezone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Tippex wrote: »
    agree with this the lack of notice can be a bit baffling. Unlike shoezone :rolleyes:

I would think it might pose a problem with suppliers.
    Start looking for cash up front, deliveries/services would be given lower priority etc etc.
    Rumour mill would be activated ....temps, if any, would leave...and who could blame them
    Customers would go elsewhere etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

What's annoying about the lack of notice is that people with gift vouchers get stung and don't get to spend them if they don't hear the news in time.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Bombay pantry also.

When are they closing? There's nothing about it on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Saddened but not shocked by Campo.

It was a great spot a couple of years ago when it was a quirky café but I think it went downhill when it changed its layout and the food levels declined.

Also, the service was always very poor but had got even worse when I was there about 3 months ago. Taking 3 people to organise a bottle of water etc.

The reason they close so quick is they’ve gone bust. Would have no cash so I don’t see why you’d expect a month’s notice.

As for gift vouchers just never buy them. They’re just not reliable any more. Cash is the best gift voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

sorry to go off topic here but i seen a few weeks ago that the second hand book shop had closed, just like to wish Henry Kearns a long and happy retirement, i had many a good chat with him while browsing , sorry i did'nt had an address for him anyone knows him give him my best regards [or pm me his address i would be most grateful] Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

When are they closing? There's nothing about it on their Facebook page.

Their last day was yesterday. You're right, nothing on Facebook, but Bray is no longer listed on their website.

They had a post up on their Facebook page about it.

It's still up there

zoobizoo wrote: »
    They had a post up on their Facebook page about it.

It's still up there

Bombay Pantry or Campo? I can't see anything on the Bombay Pantry Facebook page. I've heard nothing around the town about them closing either, hence my surprise and question about when.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

Bombay Pantry or Campo? I can't see anything on the Bombay Pantry Facebook page. I've heard nothing around the town about them closing either, hence my surprise and question about when.

I walked past Bombay today and it's being gutted already so definitely closed. Didnt seem to announce it anywhere alright.

I walked past Bombay today and it's being gutted already so definitely closed. Didnt seem to announce it anywhere alright.

Wow, that was quick. It was open a few days ago when I passed, if I'm remembering correctly. Was about to get in touch regarding their catering service so was surprised to hear it was closing without me hearing it.

• Advertisement

... Lets hope that the new owner (whoever it may be) treats this fantastic restaurant well.

Apparently, it is one of the staff/previous staff but that may only be a rumour. If it is, chances are the good food may continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Campo was never a quirky cafe. Are you referring to Escape, the vegetarian restaurant that was there in the 90s? Are you mixing it up with another cafe in the town? Probably indicates how much you actually managed to get down there to sample some of the finest Italian food you would get in Ireland.

They've gone bust due to cashflow issues? I didn't realise that we were talking to their accountant on here and that you were privy to the cashflow of the restaurant? Grandstanding like you are a person of expertise or insider knowledge serves no one but to inflate your own pompously large ego.

As a regular down there, they have been really busy the last 2-3 years as the town has bounced back and have now decided to return home, probably the dream of many successful migrants. My family and friends have had so many brilliant nights down there and I for one wish them the best of luck. Lets hope that the new owner (whoever it may be) treats this fantastic restaurant well.

They'll be sadly missed.

Bloody hell, will you calm down and perhaps tone down the personal attacks?

You have no idea who I am or where I frequent so maybe you should just stop jumping to conclusions

I have been going to Campo for years. I remember Escape as well, which was also quirky.
    Campo started off as a normal style restaurant and the food was exceptional.
    Then they grew, moved across the road and turned the old premises into the "Campo de Fiori Risto Market".

I would 100% describe it as quirky due to the different menu but also the original layout of sharing tables and it had a different vibe to it.
    Food , wine and coffee were excellent but often let down by Italian service.Place was always packed.

Then things changed, restaurant across the road suddenly closed (moving to town the staff told me at the time but that never happened) and they changed the Risto market.
    They made the seating layout to a more conventional restaurant and then added burger and chips to the menu.

It lost some of its magic in my opinion and gradually it went downhill.
    I used to go every weekend and then slowly stopped.

You used to have to wait for a table a while but I went last summer on a Saturday lunchtime and it was empty so I wasn't the only person who thought it had changed.

I'd surmise it was down to cash-flow as it closed so quickly. Otherwise you can plan it more and give notice.

Sad it happened that way as it was indeed probably the best Italian in Ireland in its heyday and will be a great loss but the Campo of the last 2-3 years was not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks tone down the personal attacks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Nice to see work going on in Pizzas and Cream and an “Opening Soon” sign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

fjon wrote: »
    Nice to see work going on in Pizzas and Cream and an “Opening Soon” sign
    Any idea as what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Please oh please let it be some of the staff. Both in terms of if being great to see them become their own bosses but also because.................they know the recipes and how to make the best Pizza's I've ever tasted......anywhere!

If its another coffee shop then I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

fjon wrote:
    Nice to see work going on in Pizzas and Cream and an “Opening Soon†sign

Dúirt bean liom go dúirt bean lei that it's going to be Pizzas & Cream reincarnated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I was walking past the old Pizzas n' Cream and it did look like they were going out of their way to not paint over the name so hopefully it's going to be reopening under new management :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Wigoder's gone bald.

• Advertisement

New women's boutique opening where Chartbusters used to be.

Advertisement