Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I basically said to them that although there are enough cafes, that there's never enough good food. The Scullery is mank. Graham O'Sulivans is only for down and outs and Chinese couples and single mothers.

Have you ever considered going into the food service industry yourself? with such social skills, you'd be perfect to have behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I basically said to them that although there are enough cafes, that there's never enough good food. The Scullery is mank. Graham O'Sulivans is only for down and outs and Chinese couples and single mothers.

Not single mothers!! And people from other countries!! Surely they are made sit in a corner so no one can see them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I'm happy to say I did 90% of my Christmas Shopping in Bray this year. I made an effort to support local and glad I did.
    Notionz smiths Allens boots dunnes and bookstation and dubray all got my support and I will be making the effort to do this from now on. I know some will argue about me shopping in tescos or aldi as they are not irish but they are in Bray and employ locally so I am happy to give them my business.

Let us know what local shops you supported this year (not necessarily bray just your local wicklow shops wherever you are based)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Mrs. Maguire's, Bookstation, Anvil, La Belle, Notionz, Claire's, Dunnes, Boots and the 2 euro shop haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hayes Butchers, Town Hall Bookshop, Dubray Books, Bookstation, Smyths Toys, Boots, Ledwidges, Soul of Beauty (Lady Care), Anvil, Bannon's Jewellers, Craft Framing Gallery, Premier Art, Signal Art Gallery, Notionz, La Belle, The Larder, Sweet Shop (forgot the name), Dunnes, Fruit and Veg Shop, Kilruddery Farm Market, McDonald's, Tesco, Lidl, Powercity, Woodies DIY, Roche's Chemist.

I think that's it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

For those who have yet to buy last minute gifts, Signal Arts Centre on Albert Road have a selection of arts, crafts and food items on sale-all made by local people and reasonable prices too.

http://www.signalartscentre.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Had lunch in Platform Pizza bar today. It is lovely lovely food.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tomflynn

Does anybody know what is intended for the Schering Plough former complex on Boghall Road?

Recently got permission to be substantially demolished, leaving only a warehouse and office building within the main part of the site:
    http://www.wicklow.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=1397&LASiteID=2
    These works seems to have commenced at this point -plenty of c&d skips and H&S notices within the site.

The whole site was for sale: http://photos.myhome.ie/media/9/2/9/360929/BoghallRoadBray6pageweb.pdf but it is no longer listed with Jones Lang LaSalle and seems now to be off the market. Does anybody know who acquired it?

It is an excellent site accessible via Boghall Road and with substantial frontage onto Southern Cross. It would be good if the likes of this was acquired and redeveloped for employment; and also Dell, AO Smith etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

I just noticed that Greek restaurant on the Main Street and realised it was in the same place Crown of India was. I had no idea they closed down as they only opened last summer and I loved their food. I'm surprised there was no announcement even on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

O'Brien's sandwich bar has returned, and taken over O'Sullivan's.
    The bakery in Albert Walk is closed.
    The cafe on the Dargle that used to be Kavanagh's pub has new owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I don't think it's been mentioned before, but there's a new little fishmongers in the Florence road a few doors down from Hayes Butchers. I was passing a few days ago and saw some very good deals advertised - 3 whole lemon sole for 5 euro, and 4 black sole for 10 euro.

Edit: it might be the same business that was up in the Main Street Arcade for the last few years but I'm not totally sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

B0jangles wrote: »
    I don't think it's been mentioned before, but there's a new little fishmongers in the Florence road a few doors down from Hayes Butchers. I was passing a few days ago and saw some very good deals advertised - 3 whole lemon sole for 5 euro, and 4 black sole for 10 euro.

Edit: it might be the same business that was up in the Main Street Arcade for the last few years but I'm not totally sure about that.
    I'm pretty sure I saw a notice on the shutters of the old place that they'd moved to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There was a bakery on Albert Walk?

Ill never set foot in an O Briens again, overpriced muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Thargor wrote: »
    There was a bakery on Albert Walk?

Ill never set foot in an O Briens again, overpriced muck.

Yeah, I think it was a polish bakery, sad that it didn't last very long :( The malaysian restaurant, Sing Yeang that was close by there is gone too unfortunately. They did a very nice nasi goreng.

I think Coffee and Treats on the Quinsborough Rd is under new management or they just changed the name of the place I think it's called A Stones Throw now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Something obviously going into the void underneath the Gym place on the southern side of the aquarium building. Workers are digging out the raised paved area there facing the Fun Palace/Albert Avenue and have knocked a big hole through the wall into the void under the gym.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. 8 years ago in 2006 when the Darts were closed on the weekends for the whole Summer for line works was the best thing that happened to Bray in years and the worst thing that happened to Portmarnock (Think riots every other Sunny Summers day there now) The air of menace we imported in on the Dart every Sunny weekend never returned en masse after the darts came back and the Seafront became gentrified and family friendly and whaddya know, Quality thriving businesses popping up all over the shop even in thbis economic climate (granted they're mostly all financed by one family)

Our image was unfairly tarnished by what we imported into the town at the weekends when in actual fact not very much is homegrown surprisingly given the size and population of the town. We're one of the biggest 'Towns' in the country both geographically and population wise, just have a look at Google Maps for instance and you can see that Bray would cover Monkstown, Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, Deansgrange, Foxrock, Cabinteely, Cornelscourt, Sallynoggin, Glenegeary. I think Bray has a surprisingly low level of crime when one takes that into account. Talk to anyone in those areas and in isolation and of course we have higher levels of crime, drug dealing etc But do we have higher levels of crime then all of those places combined?? I very much doubt it.

Bray needs an image refresh. Plenty of locals can see this and are prepared to invest. We need to try and explain this to all the potential investors outside the town whos image of Bray is based on what we imported to the town at the weekends in the 80's and 90's. "Invest in Bray....Braaaaaaay!! Jaysus you must be joking, its a kip!" We need to fully break the catch22 situation where outside investment won't come because 'Brays a kip' and 'Bray's a kip' because few from outside will invest.

Theres no reason we couldn't become the 'Brighton of Ireland' again. The original Brighton has had a renaissance and image refresh too!!

Who would have foreseen that the owners of the 'Dug Inn' back in the 80's might be the name remembered in decades hence that had faith in the town, invested heavily and possibly sparked the turn around and renaissance of the town. Respect to the Lads!!

Rumour has it there's a Dealz going into the castle street centre

Rumour has it there's a Dealz going into the castle street centre

All sorts of rumours about dealz.

I heard a well known shop on the Main Street was closing and Dealz replacing

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

All sorts of rumours about dealz.

I heard a well known shop on the Main Street was closing and Dealz replacing

The manager of Xtra Vision told my boss it was going in there, they were offered a good chunk of money to close up shop.

Time will tell I suppose.

I can understand why theyd want Xtravision alright.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I love Dealz, but another pound shop in the town? Nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mp1973

tomflynn wrote: »
    Does anybody know what is intended for the Schering Plough former complex on Boghall Road?

Recently got permission to be substantially demolished, leaving only a warehouse and office building within the main part of the site:
    http://www.wicklow.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=1397&LASiteID=2
    These works seems to have commenced at this point -plenty of c&d skips and H&S notices within the site.

The whole site was for sale: http://photos.myhome.ie/media/9/2/9/360929/BoghallRoadBray6pageweb.pdf but it is no longer listed with Jones Lang LaSalle and seems now to be off the market. Does anybody know who acquired it?

It is an excellent site accessible via Boghall Road and with substantial frontage onto Southern Cross. It would be good if the likes of this was acquired and redeveloped for employment; and also Dell, AO Smith etc.

I see they have started to demolish the building, no signs up for what is going there. i hope its not going to be left empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mp1973 wrote: »
    I see they have started to demolish the building, no signs up for what is going there. i hope its not going to be left empty.
    Looks like it's pretty much all gone now. Only the square building with the tall thin windows to the right as you look at it from the Boghall Road still standing.

I love Dealz, but another pound shop in the town? Nuts!

The other poundshops will be banging their heads against their desks... dealz has them all beat I'd say. The other shops' saving grace might be the lazy factor. If I'm down the town surrounded by 5 poundshops I'm not about to walk down to superquinn for another one. :P

I see a new cafe up the Boghall end of the Vevay road beside where the Vevay Inn used to be, looks to be a proper restaraunt style place, nice interior from what I could see last night, good luck to them but not sure about that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Is 3 Amigo's closed? Saw a sign last week that they were closed until Thursday, it did re-open but now seems shut again.

Pity, loved the quesadillas and cheesey chips.

Thargor wrote: »
    I see a new cafe up the Boghall end of the Vevay road beside where the Vevay Inn used to be, looks to be a proper restaraunt style place, nice interior from what I could see last night, good luck to them but not sure about that location.
    Do you mean they built a restaurant on the site of the Vevay Inn or it's in the area where the Vevay Inn used to be?

No the Vevay Inn is still derilict, this is down the road a bit beside the off licence and motor parts place, it used to be a hairdressers that went bust after about 2 months, theres a tile and bathroom shop beside it.

Ah right, cheers. I haven't been up that part of the Vevay in ages I was hoping someone bought the land to the Vevay Inn but alas I guess not. I'll have to give this restaurant a try and leave a review when I'm up there next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

The other poundshops will be banging their heads against their desks... dealz has them all beat I'd say. The other shops' saving grace might be the lazy factor. If I'm down the town surrounded by 5 poundshops I'm not about to walk down to superquinn for another one. :P

Dealz is just Poundland but name changed. And Poundland is better than any Euro-Giant, as there's better quality, wider range.

Advertisement